Calling All Aussies!!

Decorating By gingerkitten79 Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:35pm by derbyfour

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:36pm
post #931 of 1030

My apologies Boring, I wasn't rebutting your porcelain suggestion ,just letting Tish know ( if she didn't already ) that if you look after it well, the sugarpaste should last as long as a porcelain topper.....my bad icon_eek.gif

Humidity is a big killer for sugarpaste !!! please sub modelling paste where I've said sugarpaste icon_lol.gif

Thanks tish for words of encouragement icon_smile.gif

Lili, thankyou,can't wait to see your Hi-5 cake !!

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #932 of 1030

LiliS I met my DH on ICQ too he was in Brisbane & I was in Sydney and now we have been together for 8 years (married for 6). Seems like a few of us have found love on the internet.

jules06 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:35pm
post #933 of 1030

Lili, did you meet him in one of the chat rooms or in the dating section ?

I'm obviously on the wrong site !!! icon_lol.gif

ozcake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #934 of 1030

Jules, I know you were asking Lili but since we both met our partners on the same site I thought I would pass on that we met in the chat part was just friendly chat at first before the romance blossomed icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #935 of 1030

Jules, I was just in an aussie chat room and he happened to like my nick name (mona lisa.. I know, but I thought it was cool at the time icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif ) and we got to chatting as friends first. he was going through a divorce and he was 6 years younger so it was never a question of love for me. Then one day he told me he was coming for work and by that stage a bit of flirtiness had crept in... so thought ok, I can have a fling with a hot younger guy then he will go home and life will go on as usual.

Only it didnt. And now 6 years down the track, 2 kids and here we are, building a dream house and fighting and lovin' together!!!

Also, my cousing met her hubby on RSVP.com

I'm telling you, it's just another way to meet someone. Justlike a bar or pub but without the smoke and stress of making the right first impression. You can focus on the mind and what you have in common before all the superficialities get in the way!!!

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #936 of 1030

I guess it's a sign of the times, really, I mean with technology things change, so many of you gals have met your partners on line, I didn't but I've met a number of friends this way, it's great!!!!!

LiliS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #937 of 1030

jules, am waiting for hubby to wake up so he can load the pics onto the pc. We just got a new camera off ebay and I am dying to get it!! it's an easier one for me to use so I dont bust his chops all the time to load my pics!! princess.gif

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:53am
post #938 of 1030

Hi everyone!

I'm in Brisbane and need to make a cake in the next week or so. Does anyone here make their own MMF or would you recommend buying fondant instead? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

danatnt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danatnt Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:58am
post #939 of 1030

Hi Jenny (Ozcake),

Just wanted to say another big THANK YOU for that white choc mud recipe! icon_biggrin.gif It is TOtally the one that I have been searching for for mONThs!! I just finished making my 3rd mix since Tuesday gone! My family and FRiends LOVE it!! Also I just tried substituting the sugar for brown and some of the milk with the top n fill to make a caramel one and it tastes Beautiful too!! This will definitely be my base mud cake recipe from now on!! thumbs_up.gif

LiliS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:49am
post #940 of 1030

Hi jules, here is the link to the hi-5 cake I made last month. It's not a big challenge, but it was pretty good for my standards!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1150849

ozcake Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:28am
post #941 of 1030

no worries Dana glad to hear it worked well for you icon_smile.gif

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 9:11am
post #942 of 1030

Can someone please help me with this question. Does anyone know an easy way to calculate how to increase or decrease the ingredients for different sized cakes, eg if I know what I need for a 20cm cake, how do I work out for larger or smaller cakes.
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Cheryl

danatnt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danatnt Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:57am
post #943 of 1030

I was just wondering if someone could please help me out icon_confused.gif ! I have pretty much been making cakes for a hobby but would Love to become licensed and do it as a business BUT i am having trouble trying to figure out what I need to do! icon_cry.gif I have tried calling the Smart License people a few times and even had a pack sent out to me, but I just can't seem to figure it out, and which part applies to me etc?? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I know most of you are in NSW or VIC, but even if you could give me some ideas of what i would probably need to do here in QLD that would be Fantastic!!

jules06 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #944 of 1030

Lili , your cake is terrific ! I thought it was all fondant when I first saw it .

Your bc is so smooth icon_confused.gif I can't do that !!

Ok girls , I'm going to have to check out the chat rooms icon_wink.gif see if I can get myself a hot guy - if you have left any ! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #945 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by danatnt

I was just wondering if someone could please help me out icon_confused.gif ! I have pretty much been making cakes for a hobby but would Love to become licensed and do it as a business BUT i am having trouble trying to figure out what I need to do! icon_cry.gif I have tried calling the Smart License people a few times and even had a pack sent out to me, but I just can't seem to figure it out, and which part applies to me etc?? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I know most of you are in NSW or VIC, but even if you could give me some ideas of what i would probably need to do here in QLD that would be Fantastic!!

Start by contacting your local council, they should be able to give you all the details you need.

LiliS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:39am
post #946 of 1030

Jules all you need is a jug of boiling hot water and a spatula and you can get it that smooth. the fingers where a bit of a pain to get, I sweated them out big time. Was not really happy with the end result. but as soon as the green broder went on, the cake just popped.

As you can see, it's a fairly simple cake. But very effective. All the kids had pictures taken with it at the party and that's probably the best compliment I could have hoped for!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck in the chat rooms. Keep an open mind and just be yourself.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:29pm
post #947 of 1030

Silican Gel helps humidty, its been awhile since I brought new shoes but you used to get some in the shoe box, you just change it over although I must admit I have never changed mine. They usually have a small dish in cake cabinets at the show well at Sydney show anyway. If anyone is intersted.

mzsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzsweet Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:03pm
post #948 of 1030

Does anyone know if there is any truth in the theory that you need seperate tins for fruit cakes. I am having an issue with my eight inch cakes which I used the tins to bake my christmas cakes in last year. The two tins I used would have done about 20 fruit cakes each. I notice that my eight inch cakes now have a slight burntish aroma on the outer edge. I dont get this with the larger or the smaller cakes. The cake is not overcooked and I cook them on a pretty low temp with two layers of glad bake and a few layers of newspaper on the outer. Does anyone know if there is truth to the theory, is this the cause of it all or an I just going nuts with paranoia

YanaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanaK Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #949 of 1030

RICKASH

Thanks for the tip Kelli! I have both at home I'll give it a go and let you know.

Lili, hope your hand is feeling better. Your cakes is veeery smooth! I also thought it was all fondant. I always have a problem with the very edge of a BC iced cakes.

He-he, I met my husband via computer as well. There wasn't internet then ..... actually may be there was, but we didn't have any. That was 15 years ago. There was a meeting service where you would fill in a form and post it and they would upload it onto a computer program and find you a match ( list of 7 people). The list I got was useless, but my future husband had me on his list. He was everything I asked my future husband NOT to be icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif We wrote each other hundreds of letters and spoke over the phone few times for a year. Then he came over to meet me and then ... then I got the permission to come to Australia and it all went upside down ... But at the end of the day we got married here, just the two of us. Never had a wedding cake or a dress icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif 12 years down the track we still together which is the main thing I guess icon_biggrin.gif

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:48pm
post #950 of 1030

i'm not sure mzsweet, but it could be true. With a fruit cake you get alot of the oils from the fruit coming out during cooking. I know mine is stained at the top from my xmas cakes, its like a residue almost? Well i guess it never hurts to be safe, i would get a new 8inch just for other cakes and leave that one for fruit.

jules06 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:36pm
post #951 of 1030

I haven't heard that about separate tins , I just use the same tins for eveything !! No probs yet icon_smile.gif

I will definitely give that hot water trick a go with the buttercream,lili - do you thin your bc down a lot before using ?

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #952 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezz

Can someone please help me with this question. Does anyone know an easy way to calculate how to increase or decrease the ingredients for different sized cakes, eg if I know what I need for a 20cm cake, how do I work out for larger or smaller cakes.
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Cheryl

Chezz i am bumping this question because i would like to know myself. i guess i would go by this theory " if one cake mix makes this cake, how much volume is in this tin and how many tins can i fit into this tin" does that make sense? I would fill my 20cm up with water and then use that to fill up my 10inch square.
It makes sense in my mind!!

jules06 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:15am
post #953 of 1030

Chezz, do you want to hear my scientific theory on how to work out different sizes ??!! icon_twisted.gif
Depending on how much bigger the pan is...I just double or triple the recipe,

TA DA !!!! Then I get extra cake....for the kids icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

For a smaller tin I use the same recipe & again have extra cake...for the kids

Works for me ! Either way I get extra cake...for the kids icon_wink.gif

LiliS Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #954 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules06

I haven't heard that about separate tins , I just use the same tins for eveything !! No probs yet icon_smile.gif

I will definitely give that hot water trick a go with the buttercream,lili - do you thin your bc down a lot before using ?

Jules, nope, I use a buttercream that I buy from my local deoarting shop. It's way easier, it's white and it's all ready. All I do is colour and flavour it if I want something special. I just pipe a covering with a #32 tip all over the cake and then use the spatula dipped and dried and glide it over the bc applying firmish pressure. I then redip the spatula and do the edges.

jules06 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:12am
post #955 of 1030

icon_surprised.gif You don't make your own buttercream ? Smart girl !! icon_lol.gif
( I hate making / using the stuff ! I prefer fondant )

What's the name of the stuff you buy ? It must taste good,right ?

LiliS Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #956 of 1030

I buy it from the Greensborough Cake Decorating Centre. It's made with the correct shortening and is pure white and tastes nice. Ava loves the stuff and always comes over with her hands out saying 'yumm yumm mumma'. I have added strawberry and lemon flavouring to it but it's nice on it's own. The white colour helps when making up different colours. I also buy my bakels ready to roll there but it's kinda pricey!!!

ozcake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #957 of 1030

marchbaby, I don't make fondant (couldn't be bothered) but think I saw a post a while back from sweet_as_tisse about MMF so you might try pm-ing her.

LiliS, I didn't have any luck with the hot spatula just ended up with a big streaky mess icon_cry.gif it was ages ago before I had any shortening so maybe that had something to do with it or maybe it has something to do with the brand or type of colour used - have you had any probs with streakiness?

LiliS Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:52am
post #958 of 1030

no ozcookie, have to say I havent had much problems with streaky messes... so far. Maybe it's the type of buttercream I am using???? icon_confused.gif

It works a treat for me. I also have a large rendering trowel that I use for bigger cakes, when the spatula is too small. Still turns out ok. i have a friend who also makes cakes and she was at the party and thought the cake was covered in fondant. maybe it's my special skill... probably the only!!!!!!!!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:02am
post #959 of 1030

Hey there ladies. My busy weekend is over and Olivia's Communion Day was wonderful. I had a tear in my eye when I saw my baby receiving Communion for the first time. Here is a photo of all of us yesterday :
LL

jules06 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:16am
post #960 of 1030

What a beautiful family you have !! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%