Icing Cake In Two Different Colours Of Buttercream????

Decorating By divinecake Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm by divinecake

divinecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecake Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:22am
post #1 of 12

I want to make a 9x13, icing the top of the cake in blue and the sides in white. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that without getting the blue to the sides and the white on the top????? Thank you!!

11 replies
noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:43am
post #2 of 12

use the icing tip it is easier to get the colors in the place you put them and not have them bleed then i'd leave a space on the top.side area so that you had plenty of room to cover any "bare" spots with a very nice border lol it will also cover up any spots that might have mixed a bit
good luck and post photos
Jen

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:46am
post #3 of 12

I've done this before (not very successfully) and it was hard. When I saw your question I had an idea, though. What if you ice one part, let the icing chill till good and firm, then ice the next part. I bet you'll get far less merging of the colors that way.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:51am
post #4 of 12

I agree, use the icing tip. : )

divinecake Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you guys icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 12

I hope you plan on using a border between the two colors.... it would make it SOOO much easier.....

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 12

I did this on a cake I just posted a picture of.

I did a crumb coat in all white. I iced the top first, cleaned up anything that was pushing over the sides, then chilled the cake before frosting the sides. I only made one pass smoothing the sides and worked quickly before the top softened. Any little mistakes on the edges were covered by the border.

It went fairly easy, but I think the key was chilling it, kept the icing from wanting to blend so easily.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 12

Use the upside down icing method.. http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html This would be an easy way to get the top one color and the side another.. just be sure to give it a quick once around with your spatula to remove any excess top color before you apply the side color. icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 12

How appropriate that this topic should come up today! I just got an order last night for something similar and have been wondering how in the heck I was going to do it. The customer wants a 10" round cake torted and filled. Then she wants it frosted to look like the Texas flag! Is this even possible? I know that I can do the top like a FBCT, but the sides are just perplexing me!

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with the border idea. One of my very first paid cakes was for two brothers who celebrated their birthdays only a few days apart. I had the worst time separating the cake into the chosen colors--an electric blue and an equally intense green.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 12

I did this for the baby blocks in my pics... all 5 sides were different colors. Like everyone has said, I did the top color first, let it crust, then did one of the sides, let it crust, etc. The crusting between each made it much easier!! And the border help to cover up any gap or overlap icon_smile.gif

divinecake Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 12

thanks guys for all the great tips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%