I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now...

Lounge By Bashevita Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 3:04am by wgoat5

Bashevita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bashevita Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 14

Im only 17 years old and I constantly have people giving me advice on things in my life. I love to hear personal stories from people who have lived through things and learned lessons. I want everyone to post something they know now (no matter what age or walk of life you are in!) that they wish they had known earlier. I really hope this helps a lot of people!

13 replies
heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 14

I dont know if this counts but I was just telling my 17 year old sister today I would die to be as fat as I was as 17 you know I thought I was huge my whole life and now I look back at those pictures when I was 120 pounds and wish I could be that "fat"

adknight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adknight Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #3 of 14

I am 28 years old, and my biggest piece of advice thus far is to slow down and take one day at a time. You will miss these days of your life once they are gone and you can't get them back!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 2:07am
post #4 of 14

always follow your gut instinct.

Also the days are long but the years are short--so live your life the best you can.

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 10:50am
post #5 of 14

Never take things for granted...you just don't know what life holds for you in the long run!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 11:27am
post #6 of 14

I'm 51 years old and I just found out a few years ago that I was NOT living 'my' life. I was living everyone else's. I was a YES girl all those years. The light came on and I realized that I was living my sisters life, my Aunt's, my in law's life, my husbands, my kids, and everyone's else's and never my own.
Now I am NOT afraid to say "NO" and I live mostly for me. Selfish????? NO! It is not a requirement of life to be everyone's yes girl and everyone's door mat. I now have time to have fun and when I do say yes it is because I really want to. I'm free and I'm happy at least most of the time. icon_lol.gif I still get tangled up in other people's drama at times and there are a lot of people that want to suck the life out of you. LOL!
Have fun. Don't be afraid to live for you and be happy.
Susie

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 14

I wish I hadn't taken myself so seriously. As I've gotten older I've learned to loosen up and enjoy life. You only get one shot at it, so have fun with it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 14

I'm 48.

My deceased aunt (who was more like a grandmother than an aunt) said something one day that remains with me to this day. We were poorer than dirt and literally had no food in our house for 2-3 days. My aunt, who barely lived on social security, brought over a half bag of potatoes for us. She said (and it still makes me cry to think about it):

"I don't have much, but I'll share what I got."

I think this is the planted seed that sprouted my belief in you have to give back .... no matter how small a gesture, you have to give back.

You've no idea how big a difference that small gesture will make to someone.

-------------------------

My personal advice is to always believe in yourself. There are lots of people, mostly family unfornately, who are very anxious to tell you your ideas won't work and you "wont' make it" with that plan.

My favorite quote of all time: "Those who say it can't be done should stop interrupting those of us who are doing it." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 14

The biggest lesson I have learned is to just live day by day and leave yourself options. When I was growing up I had my whole life planned out. I would go to college, become a teacher, get married, have kids, ect. Well I went to college and found out there was no way I would ever enjoy being a teacher. I had no other options in mind and spent a lot more money on my education (still haven't finished) and made things a lot harder than they have to be. Our everyday experiences change us. College REALLY changes a person. I hate when I see high school kids with everything all planned out. Leave yourself room to breath and change your mind. Everything will turn out in the end.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 14

If you love someone, but there's something you dislike about them you think you can change, please understand that you CAN'T! Leopards don't change their spots.
Love can't fix everything......that's the very hard lesson I've learned.

Otherwise, my other advice is to pay attention to all the simple pleasures. Don't get so busy that you don't enjoy yourself. thumbs_up.gif Take time to enjoy your children, your spouse and yourself! Clean houses are nice, but not as nice as being with the people you love.

Be kind.......you'll always feel good about yourself. thumbs_up.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 14

I was raised with a very strict father that did not allow females to be considered important. I was not allowed to travel, make my own choices, or have fun with friends. I had to wake up by 7:00 am no matter what day it was to do chores before and after school. I eventually got married to get out from under his control. I just wish that I had enough willpower to stand up for myself and enjoy life. I am now at the age of 51 starting to travel a little, get to have time to myself and I hope someday to have grandchildren that I can teach how to enjoy life and treat all living things with sensitivity.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #12 of 14

*Don't get married before you are 30...and here's why...

*make sure you live by yourself in your own apartment--no boyfriends. It is important for you to know how to pay your own bills, budget your money, and most importantly how to entertain yourself and not rely on someone to do it for you.

*go to dinner by yourself. Makes you find comfort in your own company.

*go to a movie by yourself. There is something very freeing about sitting through a movie and laughing when YOU want to laugh.

*travel, travel, travel. You can buy a house later in life...it is important to travel before kids so you can truly enjoy yourself w/o worrying about kids, house, pets, mortgage, blah, blah, blah.

If you do the above things BEFORE you are 30, in my opinion and experience, you will then be able to be married for the right reasons. You know you are selecting someone based on your wants not your needs. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I think you will find more people will agree with me on this than against me. If I had the power to make one law it would be that all people have to wait until they are 30 to marry. My, my, how the divorce rate would plummet. Yes, I got married and divorced before 30. I then went ahead and lived the above and was ready to marry in my 30's and go on to have a gaggle of kids. I feel complete, have no regrets (except for the early marriage) and don't feel like I've missed out on anything.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:35am
post #13 of 14

Don't worry so much about what other's think.

Don't rush to grow up, enjoy your school years.

Tell your family members that you love and appreciate them.

Have fun!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #14 of 14

I so agree with thecupcakemom ... live, love and experience life before a marriage...if you don't like yourself then you won't be able to make somebody else happy..

I had all the dreams....I wanted to go to college get a nursing degree in pediatrics so I could be with the babies...I wanted to buy my own house...etc. etc...I didn't ...I got pregnant at 20...got married...got divorced....struggled because my first husband didn't want me to work..so no experience...worked at a gas station. Met my now dh and had 2 wonderful kids AND he adopted my first born....I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kids to death...but I sure wish I had gone through with all of my plans and goals in life.

SO please go through with everything you want to do...make a list and check the things off...go to college...further your education....just do it, you will never regret that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%