Having Problems Making Icing Smooth.

Decorating By beamc Updated 12 Aug 2007 , 12:12pm by alanahodgson

beamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamc Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 9

When i cover chocolate cake with bc icing, there's always part of the cake showing. It doesn't matter how much icing i put on. Also, how can i make icing smooth. Thanks.

8 replies
SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 9

Did you do a crumb coat first? Basically that is a layer that prevents the crumbs from getting mixed into the final coat of the icing. Do your crumb coat first, then chill it for 15 to 20 min. Once it's chilled do a thick coat of icing. As far as getting it smooth, once you have smoothed it with you spatula you could use a cold or a hot knife. Or you could use a Viva towel once your icing has crusted. I hope that helps.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 9

My Wilton class teacher taught me to use parchment paper to smooth the icing. You use the same method as the Viva towel method. However, don't reuse the parchment once you've used it once. When the parchment becomes greasy, it will stick to the icing and pull it up when you pull up the paper.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 9

I just finished a three tier cake: bottom and top chocolate and middle WASC. After my crumb coat, I had to put two layers of buttercream on the chocolate to get them to match the white tier. It is hard to get that chocolate covered, but there is hope icon_wink.gif Always crumb coat to seal those little chocolate devils that pop up and a hat pin works really well to pick any strays out! icon_rolleyes.gif I use the Viva paper towels and I also used the Elvira roller - just wish I could get the edges really crisp and sharp!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:06am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

I just finished a three tier cake: bottom and top chocolate and middle WASC. After my crumb coat, I had to put two layers of buttercream on the chocolate to get them to match the white tier. It is hard to get that chocolate covered, but there is hope icon_wink.gif Always crumb coat to seal those little chocolate devils that pop up and a hat pin works really well to pick any strays out! icon_rolleyes.gif I use the Viva paper towels and I also used the Elvira roller - just wish I could get the edges really crisp and sharp!

for super sharp edges, try the upside down method in the articlesl Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

Those crips edges often eluded me until I tried this. You'll be amazed at how talented you are when you're finished icon_wink.gif

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

I second the upsidedown technique! I was amazed at how clean my edges were, and how smooth the top of the cake came out.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:44am
post #7 of 9

alanahodgson, how do you do this with the bigger tiers?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #8 of 9

I use a crumb coat and then keep a toothpick handy and pull out the stray crumbs. Make sure that your crumb coat is thin enough too. Also, to get it smooth I use the Melvira method (found in the article section) I have never gotten a cake so smooth!

Stephanie

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

alanahodgson, how do you do this with the bigger tiers?

The largest I've done it with was a 10" round. I think because you let it thoroughly chill before you flip it you're ok. Maybe someone with more experience will have a better answer for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%