Cookie Icing As Petit Four Covering

Decorating By LickDaBowl Updated 10 Oct 2006 , 3:22pm by knoxcop1

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:10am
post #1 of 10

The owner of my local cake store told me that I can use cookie icing (the container says "Drizzle-cookie icing") to pour over my petit fours (becuase I didn't want to use the Wilton fondant and the SatinIce was so expensive). Has anyone tried this?

9 replies
girlybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlybaker Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:21am
post #2 of 10

I have always used a mixture of dry candy fondant (2.99 ea - 1lb) with flavoring, water or juice, and color. It dries hard but doesn't dry out my cookie or petit four, it taste better to me and even though hard to the touch it is really soft inside. And i can still sstack them and not have them "scratch/dent' each other. you can also useee powdered sugar mixed with candy fondant to stretch it out.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:22am
post #3 of 10

Oh!

I'm really interested in this candy fondant--

Do give more details, please!

Where do I get this stuff? At the cake supply?

More, tell me more! icon_smile.gif

--Knox--

girlybaker Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:11am
post #4 of 10

This stuff is personally, my miracle. my kids (4) REALLY LIKE to do the whole sugar cookie thing. But I never liked breaking a tooth on the royal icing. In an old cookbook my mom gave me i found it. Did some research and found my local supplier carries it. I think its normally used for fillings in candy. Anyway, Wilton carries it as wll as sugarcraft.

knoxcop1 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 10

GirlyBaker:

Are you speaking about the bags of fondant in the candy section of the cake supply? It says something like, "fondant filling" (I'm not sure!)

Anyway, how much water/juice do you mix into it?

Thanks,
--Knox--

I only pry because I do soooo many of the little buggers--anything to make them easier or more durable, I'm willing to try!

thanks!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 10

Do you mean the candy melts?

knoxcop1 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 10

No, candy melts are different...

This says something on it like "fondant filling," (again--it just says fondant)

But it's a dry powder--not the liquid pouring fondant in the bags, either!

Hmmm.

I should swing by the cake supply today....

girlybaker Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 10

THIS LOOKS JUST LIKE CONFECTIONERS SUGAR. ABOUT THE SAME SIZE BAG. ITS USUALLY CALLED DRY FONDANT OR DRY CANDY FONDANT. ALSO BE SURE TO LET THEM DRY TILL THEY ARE NO LONGER SHINY, AT LEAST 24 HOURS, LONGER IF HUMIDITY IS HIGH. DO NOT REFRIGERATE OR THE HUMIDITY IN THE FRIDGE WILL SOFTEN THE ICING.

girlybaker Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 10

ALSO, IT IS A MIXTURE OF 10 PARTS DRY FONDANT TO 1 PART FLAVOR/WATER. REAL EASY. IF YOU WANT A THIN ICING FOR FLOODING USE MORE WATER, USE LESS FOOR THICKER ICING.

knoxcop1 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks, Girlybaker! icon_smile.gif

I'll be running to the cake supply here in a bit, so I'll get some for the next batch of petits!

icon_wink.gif

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%