What Was I Thinking???

Decorating By loves2bake Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 2:23am by cakemommy

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 22

Ok, here it is: MY class re-union is coming up and I tentatively said I would Love to talk to her (Committee chair) about making the cake) Its prob going to have to feed 900!! She asked me if I was going to do it for icon_eek.gif FREE!! icon_eek.gif I don't know how to reply to her - What Was I THinking??? HELP !!

21 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 22

Ummmm.....I'd ask her what the budget is for their cake. I think doing it for free is crazy-talk!!?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 22

Lord NO! I could not imagine feeding that many for free! I agree with Antonia74..

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 22

I would tell her you would be happy to do it for little or no profit but that the expense of the ingredients alone could be a lot to feed that many people!!!

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 22

Why is it that everyone always wants cakes for free?!
I would ask how much they have set aside for the cake too. I would NOT do it for free.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 22

I would tell her what a cake for 900 people would cost- just the cost of ing. and ask her if she expects anyone to make a donation that big to the reunion. Some people just don't think before they ask for something like that.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 22

ok, just supplies alone will cost you a pretty penny. I would ask her to price cakes elsewhere and then sit down and discuss a "fair" price for you. I don't think that I enjoyed highschool enough to go into debt to make a cake for people I didn't even like!

Stephanie

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 22

What, for FREE. She must be crazy. 900 people for FREE, oh nooooo. There must be a budget.

I agree with smbegg's idea. I don't think no one liked high school that much.

loves2bake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 22

I agree that Free is crazy!! lol About how do I tactfully say "FREE is CRAZY" ??? lol. Most of this has been done by email, should I suggest calling her? icon_confused.gif

Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 22

Free?!@$#%# I want to know too.....what WERE you thinking? icon_redface.gif

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 22

Definitely not for free . . . but perhaps you could agree to do it at cost? And maybe write the rest off as a donation on your taxes? Even write up a donation slip, and have them sign it. Write up the value of the cake, and, and the credit you are giving them, and invoice it that way, and then you have a record of the donation you made.

novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novice Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 22

I don't think it would be out of line to ask what the budget was for the cake, and then offer to give her something extra special for that price - perhaps more special than a bakery would do.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 22

I'd ask her if they are getting the food and the venue for free. She must be some kind of nut. I'd get a couple of quotes from local bakeries and maybe offer a discount but I wouldn't do a cake for that many people for free.

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 22

Did she say 900? Because my 10-yr HS reunion had less than 100 people and the 20-yr had about 50 people. Maybe it's not nearly as many as you think. Even so, they should reimburse you for the ingredients at the VERY LEAST.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 22

For that many people....doing it for free is just out of the question!!! I would do what Antonia suggested and ask what the budget is for the cake!!

loves2bake Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:04am
post #16 of 22

I will ask her if there's a budget and how many peopls she's expecting. I just know that if every alumni attended the cake would have to feed that many. Calling locel bakeries id a great idea, I will def. do that. and asking for a budget amount.. You guys are so great, I knew you would have the best ideas icon_smile.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:23am
post #17 of 22

Remember that this is YOUR class reunion, too.
Making a cake that will feed 900 people is going to be very stressful, and a lot of hard work. Don't ruin it for your self!
I mean, while everyone else only going to be worried about what they are going to wear, you are going to be working yourself to death.
I don't want to be a party pooper, but you may just be too pooped to party. Just a thought, from someone that has been in somewhat of the same situation.( Although not for nearly that many people)!!!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 22

Holy Crap - No WAY! Not that many people for Free! That will NOT be cheap!

#1 Calculate how much you would/should normally charge for this cake
#2 Would you make that large of a $$ donation to your school? Do you enjoy high school that much icon_confused.gif
#3 You could calculate your cost and give her an invoice of the "real" price, discount it to only cover your cost and then donate your time
#4 You could offer to make a much smaller showpiece cake to fit her budget with plain sheet cakes to serve and possibly donate those

And I totally agree with subaru - you need to enjoy your reunion as well. Will this be a marketing opportunity for you - or a party for you to go to and enjoy yourself?

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:47pm
post #19 of 22

Just how much cake would that actually be? I cannot even fathom it. Does anyone know???

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 6:28pm
post #20 of 22

My BASE price for really basic cakes is $2.50 per serving. So you are looking at a lowball price of $2,250.00!! icon_eek.gif And you sure wouldn't get anything fancy out of me - no fondant, it would probaly have to be 9 layered sheet cakes.

Sure - I'll do that for nothing!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:07am
post #21 of 22

Loves2bake, just remember that you can also pass on doing the job if it's not worth it to you! icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:23am
post #22 of 22

FOR FREE!!! She got some b@lls!!!! 900 people! Hello!!!!!!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I don't even think the cost of ingredients is enough!!!!! Definately find out what the budget is. Is she wanting nothing but a few sheet cakes or something more elaborate?

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%