Yet Another Cake Ball ?

Decorating By jessireb Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm by KlyKat

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 12

Can you make cake balls ahead of time and then freeze them? I would like to make up a batch for a bake sale for the Christian Motorcycle Group I belong to.

Also, is there an easy way to cover them in chocolate besides dipping them?

11 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 12

I have kept mine in the freezer for a few weeks without being dipped, but not after they are dipped. I think some people just roll them in powdered sugar instead of dipping them.

jessireb Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 12

I have rolled them in powdered sugar and the powdered sugar gets sticky. I don't like that.

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 12

I made some several weeks ago and my MIL put some in the freezer. She just ate them and told me they were better now than they were when I first made them!

She also freezes buckeyes and bon bons when she makes them.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 12

I freeze mine and they work out just fine. I don't know of another way to cover in choc except for rolling them. What I have found thru trial and error, is that the "Fork Method" works the best for me. Mine are selling like crazy icon_eek.gif Yippy ki Yah!!! K'ly

jessireb Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 12

KlyKat,

Do you cover them in chocolate before freezing? I have some butter cake scraps left and I thought I would give them a try with some different flavorings. I saw that Walmart has flavors in with the spices and I was gonna give that a try.

kaste28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaste28 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 12

Another option for covering them is to use pourable fondant. I always use this because I don't like that candy coating, imitation chocolate stuff. You can set them on a rack and pour the fondant over them, just like you do for petit fours.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 12

I froze mine (lst try - loved them) before covering them. Took them out and dipped them frozen - stuck a toothpick in them then dipped them then stuck toothpick in styrofoam - worked great. The chocolate wasn't too drippy because the ball was frozen and helped it to harden quickly.

Think you could probably freeze them after also.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 12

I made some last week & used Bailey's Irish cream for the binder...yummy! I passed them out to the teachers & staff at my sons' school & they all loved them! I froze them after dipping & they taste great.

KlyKat Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 12

The toothpick styrofoam is a great idea!!!!! I had tried using toothpicks but was pulling them out and messing up the CB's.

I've frozen them with and without the choc and they were great either way.

Joanmary and I are in agreement with freezing before dipping. I only take a few out at a time, so they don't start to thaw before I get finished.

HTH. K'ly

jessireb Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 12

I was trying to melt some pnut butter chips, but that didn't work. I think I will stick to the chocolate for right now. I am going to freeze them first and then coat them. I can put them in individual bags and have them ready to go.

Thanks Everyone you are Life Savers!

KlyKat Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessireb

I was trying to melt some pnut butter chips, but that didn't work. I think I will stick to the chocolate for right now. I am going to freeze them first and then coat them. I can put them in individual bags and have them ready to go.

Thanks Everyone you are Life Savers!

I simply mix peanut butter and Bettercream together then mix it in with the cake crumbs. It is wonderful!!!! K'ly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%