Cake Filling????

Decorating By edcjenv Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 9:13pm by aunt-judy

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 12:24am
post #1 of 14

Okay-- my dad ordered a cake from me for Saturday. They (he & mom) loved it...I asked for $30 he paid me $40 icon_biggrin.gif They took it to a friends' birthday picnic...everybody there loved it and a few mentioned ordering more. (Which surprised me because I didn't think it looked so hot. It was the 'Rockin Birthday' cake I have posted)

Now here's my dilemma...I used pastry filling. And I even put some on a cake scrap as I was making it, because I always like to know what my cakes taste like icon_biggrin.gif Well....my mom and dad hated it! They said they don't think pudding and cake should go together. It wasn't pudding...it was filling...I'm so confused?! Could I have made it wrong? Is there a lighter recipe somewhere? I thought it was good! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

13 replies
edcjenv Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 2:40am
post #2 of 14

I think I put this in the wrong section, but anyway...there are different people on CC now and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this ??? icon_smile.gif
TIA

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 2:48am
post #3 of 14

I used the cream cheese filling for cakes that comes in a sleeve, it was thick and strong flavored (I like the flavor) but when put in the cake as filling it was just the right amount. I had some left over and used the whipped icing to thin it down some and that was good also! So, I think it's personal taste.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:17am
post #4 of 14

How did everyone else at the party like it? I always use pudding/pastry cream for my fillings and everyone absolutely loves it. You could use mousse, bavarian cream, fruit fillings.... A couple people in dh's family think my cakes are too sweet... they are really picky and set in their ways... I don't know if that's the case with your parents or not, but if they don't like the pastry cream, maybe try one of the alternatives for them. In my experience, the majority of people like the pastry cream/pudding.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

edcjenv Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:24am
post #5 of 14

I definitely think that the source of the complaint is part of the problem...

According to my parents, everybody at the party loved it. I asked Dad if anyone else said anything about the filling and he said no, but that he didn't think anyone would say anything even if they didn't like it.

Talking about people thinking it's too sweet, the main reason I did filling is because Dad always says the BC is too sweet! I just can't seem to win.

Do mousse fillings hold up well? I've not tried them before. THANKS!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:34am
post #6 of 14

I never used a pudding filling before normally I use pastry filling that I buy from country kitchen, they have the best price except for the cream cheese taht cost too much I order else where. I never had a complaint about the raspberry, lemon, bavarina cream or cream cheese fiilling. Raspberry is the most popular it goes great with chocolate or white cakes.

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:44am
post #7 of 14

Hi, lately, I've been torting my cakes with mousse fillings, and everyone seems to like it. It's easy to make, and not expensive either.
Emi

edcjenv Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:44am
post #8 of 14

I think maybe I overanalyze....I'm always afraid someone won't like a flavor so I tend to keep to the basics...I'd really like to try the raspberry! Sounds like cream cheese is popular too. But I didn't use pudding...the recipe was pastry filling...my parents just thought (actually argued) that is was pudding...

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 14

ahhh...picky people! I feel your pain! Try not to take it personal...

edcjenv Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 14

Thanx polishmommy...I think I'm gradually coming to terms with the fact that they can just be overly critical at times. Everyone seems to be pleased!

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:22am
post #11 of 14

I think your cake turned out great! Major kudos to you.
I have been using pudding in my cakes recently and they have come out yummy, and no one realizes its pudding. I use the pie filling recipe on the box. It just uses less milk. I especially like the banana cream pudding.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:52am
post #12 of 14

I think the fact that others wanted to order from you says that the filling was good and it's a matter of personal choice as to whether one likes the filling or not. I have one customer who doesn't like anything but BC as a filling so you never know! icon_lol.gif

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 14

I could see using pastry cream, but I've heard of others using like Jello pudding cups and to me that sounds gross. Lemon curd is another option too.

Some people just hate to try new things. icon_rolleyes.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 14

pastry cream is just a fancy-schmancy word for pudding (as far as i'm concerned). i do find pudding too wet to use as a filling, and i generally prefer to use a simple mousse made with whipped cream and cooled, melted chocolate and butter. or just whipped cream and jam, or lemon or berry mousse, whipped cream blended with nutella, lemon curd etc. i do try to keep my flavours natural.

some people find pastry cream/custard a little too sweet or cloying. you can easily lighten it up by mixing it with whipped cream. icon_smile.gif don't take your parent's comments personally; it is simply a matter of taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%