MichaelsMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelsMama Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have a recipe

12 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 13

I use Americolor Navy blue gel. You have to use quite a bit and let it sit for several hours - preferably overnight - to allow the color to darken.

My town's high school and middle school colors include navy blue, so I do A LOT of navy - especially around graduation!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 13

I also use the Navy by Americolor. I guess I am not patient enough. I have added violet and black to achieve navy before. If you don't have navy coloring, I would start with a blue and add some black and/or violet until it starts getting dark, then let it sit and develop some more.

darkchocolate

I find navy hard to photograph. It almost always looks black.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 13

same here works just fine do let it sit overnight

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 13

Same here and yes to notjustcake also......

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 13

I also use Americolor Navy gel color....the key is to let it sit and darken overtime.....I let mine sit overnight as well!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 13

I use the Americolor navy color too... but before I bought that, someone on here told me to use royal blue and add a bit of black to it. Just an idea!! HTH

kdbrumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbrumbach Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 13

Before I started using the Americolor, I mixed Wilton's Royal Blue with black and a touch of violet. It took a long time to mix and did get darker overnight. You can see the results in my photos (the Navy anchor cake, naturally).

But I always remember how when my younger brother came home with his Navy "dress blue" uniform, my mom said, "that's not blue that's black!" he told her, "Mom, it's Navy blue, because the Navy says it's blue!" Good Luck![/i]

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 13

Ditto all the above posters.

I always feel like a smart a$$ when I answer with something like , well, I make navy blue with navy blue food dye.

MichaelsMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelsMama Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 13

Can you find Americolor at any common store? My friend needs it for something that she is making tomorrow.

Thanks so much everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMama

Can you find at any common store? My friend needs it for something that she is making tomorrow.

Thanks so much everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

No, it's a specific cake decorating item. You won't find it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Many cake supply stores carry Americolor, tho.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 13

Wow, icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif what ever happen to practice and planning? This is the second thread today where the cake is needed for tomorrow and the poor artist is caught between a rock and a hard spot? Whew, so glad it's not me! icon_surprised.gif

mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #13 of 13

I've used royal and black but like the others it's better to let it set a while. I usually only have quick access to Wilton. Be careful it can turn mouths blue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%