Survived Ossas 2006!

Decorating By moydear77 Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 10:12pm by tatetart

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #31 of 115

How on earth do you find out about these competitions, I thought that was only t.v. stuff!!! That would be awesome to do. I live in KY I have never heard of anything like that around here. I am not that talented though, but it would still be fun! Congrats to you all!

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:01am
post #32 of 115

As I was setting up my cakes at the show my dd (8 yo) pointed out a cake to me on the same table that was one man in a hot tub with 4 or 5 blondes, all covered but obviously NOT wearing bathing suits and she said to me "MOM, that cake is not appropriate for kids to look at!!!" icon_surprised.gif I couldn't help but crack up laughing. She didn't think it was a bit funny! When we went back to actually look at the cakes I didn't see that cake anywhere. I wondered if they had to remove it?

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:06am
post #33 of 115

Princess3, I have found out about a few things just by visiting peoples websites, and of course from watching the food network.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:06am
post #34 of 115

Oh it was still there! It was in my category for a mans world! As if and they all were all perky to top it off!

sillychick Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:10am
post #35 of 115

OK Moydear what division were you in? I was Adult Advanced for the record.

moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:12am
post #36 of 115

Semi pro!

I took third for my ocassions cake and my summer cake.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:14am
post #37 of 115

Skinnycakelady, there will be demos at Sugar Wonders, but we don't have them firmed up yet. Last time (ours is every odd-numbered year) I did a last-minute demo of a very basic cake sculpture when one of our scheduled demo people had a family emergency. I don't know if I'll do it again, but it was fun for me. Probably because I only had a few hours to be worried about how well I'd do. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mary Ann, we're moving from D/FW to Alaska in summer 2008 when my son graduates. Once we're there, it'll be too far a drive for us to come and I'm not sure I want to trust the airlines. Too bad my last year for OSSAS has to be Hollywood...

Oh well, easy come, easy go. icon_biggrin.gif

Deanna

cakerunner Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #38 of 115

who had that really adorable penguin cake, they were sledding down the topsy turvy sides! We loved that one too! Let's face it, we loved seeing all the cakes!

moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:17am
post #39 of 115

Oh I a, so sad! I actually am planning on easing my load and doing just two divisioal and my wedding cake.

You better go out with a bang then! So stunning all your work!

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:25am
post #40 of 115

Hey! Glad everyone had so much fun this weekend. We just made it back to Amarillo earlier today. Dramamine is just now starting to wear off so I'm finally awake (now that it's bedtime!!!)

I was TOTALLY shocked to find out I got third place in beginners novelty!! I was quite disappointed in the way the cake turned out. But guess there were good points to it! I think this was my most challenging cake yet.

It was pretty beat up by the time judging started.....They didn't get me moved down to beginners like they were supposed to (had me listed there on one list, but in advanced on the other list). I put my cake on the beginners table then rushed out to get photos (our printer wasn't working so we didn't have them!!). Well, while we were gone, they moved my cake back over to the advanced table. I got back with photos at 10:40 (judging started at 10:30) to find my cake was GONE!! We got it straightened out, but when they moved it they didn't take the crows off so they fell and broke. I was able to fix them, but they didn't stay where they were supposed to. Before the judges got to our table, the big crow took another nose dive and broke one of the fingers off the scarecrow.

Oh well. I still had a BLAST and can't wait until next year! Maybe I'll get brave and try a wedding cake....I've already told my husband we're off to McKinney in March for their cake show (think someone else posted about it in this thread earlier) and probably to Austin in Feb. I'm hooked!

BTW, the scarecrow is in my photos.

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:57am
post #41 of 115

I placed first for my snowman hat box and a third for my 2 puppies on the orange bear bed. They were in the adult advanced holiday and novelty sections. You might remember the snowman roasting a marshmallow in front of the snowman cake.

I don't have pictures posted yet. Maybe tomorrow. I am still really tired. I left Tulsa at 3:30am this morning and went straight to work.

Congrats to everyone that entered. I will see you in McKinney in March. icon_smile.gif

Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:59am
post #42 of 115

I went and loved your cake Moydear. I don't know you but wonder if our paths crossed. I rode with some gals from SD and Iowa. Where are you from in MN? Which cake was your daughters?

Candee Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:01pm
post #43 of 115

Oh that snowman hatbox was adorable! I absolutely loved that one! This was my first year there and it was so overwhelming-I felt like I was in a daze the whole time.

cakerunner Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:13pm
post #44 of 115

Yep, I think I may have to go to McKinney in March TOO!!!!!

sillychick Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:09pm
post #45 of 115

Uh oh, did any of you enter the tasting competition? I was just clearing out my old emails and found one from Lloydene that said instead of using figs this year that King Arthur Flour had stepped in to provide products...flour, citrus flavoring and cranberries. I never got those!!! Did anyone else? Holy cow, that would be embarrassing if I was disqualified because I didn't get all my stuff or read my silly emails!! Anyway, I know it doesn't matter now, but I'm very curious. I have had problems in the past with not getting one of the sponsors products. I guess it's because I live out in the sticks. icon_confused.gif

Candee Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:13pm
post #46 of 115

I didn't even know there was a tasting competition, prior to going. I have to find out how this all works but sounded like a great opportunity.

Oh, and by the way, we too stayed at the Holiday Inn Select and heard the dang fire alarm. They didn't give us the night free icon_mad.gif They did offer us free breakfast but we were in such a hurry as we had to get to the fair.

moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:17pm
post #47 of 115

Ok Last year I stayed there---
1. TV volume would just get louder all by itself
2. Air was not turned on so room was hot and humid
3. Key card stopped working at least five times and we were on the other end of hotel.
4. Power went out the morning of awards
5 Bath tub had no way of plugging
6. Toilet plugged up -even for number one!

sillychick Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:21pm
post #48 of 115

Oh my gosh! Wonder if there is a nice way to let Kerry know that the hotel was terrible?? There are so many nice hotels around here, surely we can do much better than that!!

moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #49 of 115

Yes but they sponsor so that is why they go with them-and have done so in the past. I stayed over off of 169 by the Super Target--Way better!

cakerunner Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:32pm
post #50 of 115

Tasting competition.... is this the petit four competition? I did pay to enter this but had the flu and wasn't able to complete them in time for the show (and didn't want to pass along the flu to the tasters!) I got all my sponsor samples - ginger (and lots of it!), chocolate, and vanilla (and lots of it!). I loved all my ingredients they provided and think my petit fours were very nice (my practice ones anyway). Hope to not be sick next year! And think we will try to stay close to the target too... what is the name of the hotel?

Candee Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #51 of 115

Moy, when is the DOS in MN? I may try to see if I can come though I am quite a ways from the cities. How often do they have one in the cities? I am out in the sticks.

moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:35pm
post #52 of 115

This Sunday at Afton Apls

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #53 of 115

Maryann (moydear) loved your cake! It was the one cake I could still remember when I got home, all the others just kind of ran together . . .

hated the parking, got to find another way next year . . . took us two hours to get out of parking lot.

Love the dem (as Kerry calls them) by Keegan and the krispies wedding cakes.

They really need to move to a larger area - way too many people. The stage where magicians were needs to be for cake dems and a lot larger area for cakes - spread them out!! so you can spend time looking at details not being rushed by people behind you.

anyway, first time to go, learned a lot mostly don't take people with you who don't do cakes - daughters were ready to leave by noon uggggg!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #54 of 115

I just reread my post and it sounds like I didn't like all of the other cakes, I sure didn't mean to make it sound that way. There were lots and lots of very amazing cakes. I was mostly in a daze looking at the wedding cakes, trying to see techniques used and details of each. I could have spent weeks looking at them all. Loved it and will be spending all three days there next year - without family.

moydear77 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #55 of 115

Thanks so much! At least someone did! I try to stand out by using color!

My hubby and daughter came with. They just come on Sunday.
My husband loves frisbee dic golf so it gives him a chance to get out and play while I am at the show!

Did you park over by the microtel?

I probably spoke to a ton of ccers but had no clue!

maverick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maverick Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:06pm
post #56 of 115

For those of you looking for another great Cake Show, The Capital Confectioners of Austin are putting on their cake show the weekend of February 3rd and 4th. Some of the demonstrators they have so far are: Norman Davis, Steven Stellingwerf, Janette Pfertner, Bronwen Weber, Marco Antonio Lopez and Sonia Escobar. There is also a 1 tip cake and mystery cake competition as well as a tasting competition. The show is being held at the Travis County Expo Center. The event keeps getting larger and larger every year. Let me know if you have any questions or you can go to the allinonebakeshop.com website and view information under the Clubs/Events category.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:13pm
post #57 of 115

Loved to read all you posts.All your excitement made me feel as if I had been there (I'll never be)
with all of you.Hope to see photos.
Congratulations to everyone, winners or not!!!
This thread made my day!

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:32pm
post #58 of 115

Congratulations to everyone!!! What an experience it must have been!!! You are ALL so very talented!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #59 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillychick

I was just clearing out my old emails and found one from Lloydene that said instead of using figs this year that King Arthur Flour had stepped in to provide products...flour, citrus flavoring and cranberries. I never got those!!! Did anyone else?

Last year included the flour, dried cranberries, ginger, citrus flavoring, chocolate, and vanilla. This year it was just the ginger, chocolate, and vanilla. I had planned to enter, but decided the time wasn't worth it. I was soooo glad that the cranberries, flour, and citrus flavoring (all from King Arthur Flour). Those flavors are very difficult to combine.

I also think it's a bit much to require 20 petit fours. The judges are only going to be tasting a very small taste.

sillychick Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 9:22pm
post #60 of 115

Oh for goodness sake, Yep, I looked on my email and it is from LAST year. Boy do I feel like a ditz!! icon_surprised.gif Yes, I agree those ingredients were hard to incorporate, now that you've triggered my memory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%