What Is Mexican Paste And How Do You Use These Cutters

Baking By southaustingirl Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm by JanH

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 5

http://globalsugarart.com/catalog/category_640_PATCHWORK_CUTTERS_page_1.html

I bought serveral cutter sets and spent lots of money......can't get any of them to work!! The instructions say to use Mexican paste. Is this the same thing as gum paste?

I found out that fondant does not work. The fondant just gets stuck in all the nooks and crannis of the cutters.

Has anyone use these cutters before?

HELP!!!!

4 replies
Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

Hi there

Mexican paste is very similar to gumpaste - it is a bit dryer and dries a lot harder and is less affected by humidity or any moisture. I have posted a recipe to make mex. paste previously... I personally don't like working with it as much as fondant w/cellogen (gumtex), but it's the end result that makes mex. paste unique.

Have you tried dusting the cutters with cornflour (cornstarch) before using with the fondant? That should help - just make sure it's a light dusting otherwise there will be chunks of gaps where the flour has gotten stuck in the nooks & crannies...

Hope this helps

--Fi

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks....I look at the recipe. What is chopha?

I will tyr using the cutters with the Mexican paste.........hopefully I will have better luck.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 5

You need to use gum paste. It should be rolled very thin and the cutter and board should both be greased with crisco. Patchwork cutters are great. They're so versatile. I've used them on several of my cakes. You can also check out the website at http://www.patchworkcutters.com/

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 5

MissBaritone,

That's a great website. Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%