Chocolate Tiles

Decorating By strawberry0121 Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 2:49am by strawberry0121

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 13

Hi! Can anyone tell me how to make chocolate tiles? Do I just melt it down, spread it thin and break it into pieces? Any tips would be appreciated!

12 replies
strawberry0121 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 13

Bump---anyone?

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 13

I'm just bumping this up for you. I'd like to know the answer too.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 13

I'm sort of making choc tiles, only mine will be more mosaic (different shapes and sizes). ARe your tiles going to be more uniform in shape and size? I am going to spread the choc very thin. I bought the large fondant roller and the guide rings to adjust the thickness and I am planning on just pulling over the choc to spread it out. I'm not sure if I will cut the pieces or try to break into the shapes I need.
Good luck and re-post to let me know how you did.

Diane

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 13

I've seen them in books that you can order. I would ry going to AC Moore or somewhere like that, in the clay area they should have a plastic template for making tiles???? Good luck, let us know how it comes out. icon_biggrin.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 13

I attempted chocolate tiles a couple weeks ago. I just spread the choc out thin and before it was completely set, I scored it into the general shapes I wanted with a sharp knife. I wasn't sure if the choc would break if I waited until it was completely set. Looking back, I should have used smaller tiles on my small cake. I messed up the top of the cake, because at first, I put a few choc wedges on top stacked up againgst each other with some choc shavings around it. It just made it look like a Teepee, so I took those off and just did more tiles on top and had to use more shavings. Luckily, this was just a practice cake. Here's the pic.
LL

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 13

what a great question!!! i have been wanting to make chocolate tiles, but am not sure if there is a simple correct way to do it...hmmm....i assumed you would just melt the choc. Pour it out onto parchment paper really thin, then let set and break away...Be neat to do marble chocolate tiles...you know, pour out some white choc then swirl some regular choc into it...
sorry can' t help you though

mccakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 13

I've done chocolate tiles/squares for my chess cake.. I just spread melted chocolate really thin between wax paper and let it almost set. Then I cut it into the shapes I need with a ruler and pizza cutter to keep my edges straight. Then I leave it on the wax paper and stick it in the freezer for a few minutes to let it get really hard. Once it freezes a little, you can break the pieces that you have scored with the pizza cutter and the edges come out really clean... HTH

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 13

Save

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 13

mccakes:
so did you pour the choc on wax paper then put another sheet of wax paper on top of that?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 13

I'm so glad this thread came up! Thanks for asking this question! icon_biggrin.gif

mccakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 13

yes..so that I could smooth it really thin..I used a fondant roller over the top piece of wax paper... Then when it freezes a little it peels right off..

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #13 of 13

Thanks, everyone! I want to do irregular mosaic types. I never thought to score, so that is an important tip I didn't know of.

The wax paper spreads smoothly and doesn't get wrinkles? I have a silicone mat I might use for the bottom. I know that won't wrinkle, even if I mess up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%