JaneK Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm

love the Indian inspired design...you've really captured the feel! I love it!

Thanks for the pics...I was exhausted for you!!....that gave me a great idea...I think all decorators should document at least one of their cakes like you did...will show all those "last minute" clients what goes into one of these creations!!!

You did a wonderful job and I always enjoy looking at your imaginative and artful creations!!

Cheers,
Jane

JoJoMick Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:43pm

How wonderful to show this in progress! I've done fondant and you do have to know some tricks! I've had many times where I should've started days before I actually did. It takes a certain amount of comcept in one's mind. I find that I make alot of "doo-dad" things (and save them) because. like Emma, I'm never quite sure where the cake will end up when I'm done! I love the creative process and the client that loves the finished work too! Bravo, Emma!

Kayakado Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm

So Emma, do you have a large refrigerator like the kind we have in the US or do you have the normal under the counter one common to British homes?

Working with such a big cake over a few days, I'd have to pop it in and out of the frig here based on the weather. I know you have heat waves and I've not been in many houses there that had AC, how do you manage?

kerri729 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:51pm

Emma,
As always.........another fantastic cake an wow, you just "run with it" in designing as you go! I have to plan weeks ahead draw sketches and resketch to make sure it's what I want..........I always admire your cakes- and thanks for sharing...........this is a great idea!

jsmith Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm

Wow! That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the different stages. I've been thinking about how I want to make my birthday cake to look this year and you've inspired me to try some interesting techniques. You could definitely write a book about inspiring people to come up with their own designs using yours as a kind of springboard.

darcat Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm

Emma you truly have a God given talent as well as being very generous in sharing your process with us. I had to laugh at your commentary on the fuzzy pic. Although this cake is definately not to my taste it doesnt stop me from admiring your work and I am sure beyond a doubt that the bride and groom will love it, I am also sure that you would have no trouble at all getting a publishing company to take you on as a client when you are ready to write your book. If I remember correctly you are a teacher by profession and looking at your tutorial on this cake I have to say you must be an excellent teacher as you seem to have extreme patience lol. Bravo !!!! Well Done !!!!!

missym Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:00pm

Thanks for sharing! What an awesome cake. I agree. You should be writing books and making DVD's.

allycook Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm

thanks for sharing

LucyintheSky Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm

Good God you make such beautiful creations!! Incredibly creative... this cake actually, literally gave me goosebumps! Amazing work... No wonder you don't want to make an instructions list! How time consuming... but this was a perfect idea!

keonicakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm

Emma,
You do the most amazing work! Every cake you post is truley a work of art! Thank you so much for sharing, and anytime you want to do any kind of tutorial, you know I'll be studying it. Again, beautiful job from you, again.
Amy

i_heart_pastry Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:15pm

Emma, you rock! Loved the step-by-step. It's amazing to see how the creative process unfolds. And your commentary was awesome - I'll look forward to reading your book one day!

Bec

snowshoe1 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:18pm

A big thank you for sharing this with us! It is great to watch a pro and pick up on some of her tricks.

CakesByLJ Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm

Totally amazed.. at both the cake, and the step-by-step presentation. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with everyone. I, for one, gained a lot of knowledge ~ for free...... The true spirit of sharing..... Thank You~!

Kiki97np Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm

Wow, your cake is fabulous! Thanks for sharing your steps icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:29pm

duplicate post

dabear Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:32pm

Oh my! What a process! You are fabulous! A true artist! If I tried something like you do-it would be ugly! icon_lol.gif Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and comments on your beautiful cake. You should definatley do a book. It would sell like hotcakes!

felecia Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:47pm

all i can say is wow...very nicely done. thank you for taking the time to take pic's of each step.

Liz1028 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:48pm

Emma,

With many thanks! You should write a book! I know everyone here would buy it! thumbs_up.gif

ombaker Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:52pm

Just spectacular. it amazes me how you can "see' that in your imagination. I probabaly would have stopped at step 4 and considered it done.
Thanks for the time you took to put that together.

justsweet Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm

Emma, thank you very much for sharing your pictures.

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:11pm

once again bows in homage at a master decorator's feet!!!

I so enjoy your cakes and your unique artistic vision. Truly a wonderful site to behold whenever you make a cake!

thanks so much for the pics -- bookmarked them for future reference.

emmascakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:57pm

I.won't.write.a.massive.response.as.the.blasted.space.bar.is.broken.as.you.can.see!

Thank.you.so.mcuh.for.your.lovely.comments.
I'm.thinking.about.writing.a.cake.blog.and.this.response.has.made.me.feel.positive.about.doing.that

In.answer.to.questions

I.have.no.idea.how.much.it.weighs-I.can.just.about.carry.it.but.my.arms.shake.when.I.do!

It's.a.fruit.cake.so.it.can.be.left.out.forever!..This.also.makes.it.heavier!

It.took.three.and.a.half.days.in.total

The.bride.hasn't.seen.it.yet,I'm.taking.it.to.the.wedding.tomorrow.so.I'll.lket.you.know.how.I.got.on.on.Sunday

I've.started.only.accepting.orders.where.I.have.the.majority.artistic.input.
Generally.customers.suggest.a.colour.or.theme.or.even.a.few.words.and.let.me.get.on.with.it
I.prefer.not.to.even.sketch.it.out.as.they.think.they're.getting.one.thing.and.then.my.mind.wants.it.to.go.elsewhere!...If.I.do.try.and.stick.to.something.I.often.find.my.enthusiasm.waning.and.my.inspiration.going.

For.example.in.this.cake.the.bride.wanted.it.pink.and.I.was.totally.stumped.with.it.until.I.sprayed.it.all.gold.and.gave.up.on.the.pink!

ibmoser Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm

Fabulous cake - thank you so much for sharing the process. And please do start a blog or a book or a video thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:18pm

that is awesome!! thank you for sharing how you did this fabulous cake!!

justme50 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:20pm
Quote:
Quote:

I've.started.only.accepting.orders.where.I.have.the.majority.artistic.input.

I take any order I can get (IF I can do the cake, of course), but I do love those handful of customers I have who just say do whatever you think would work.

My work is so much better when I have the freedom to do what I do best and not have to follow a set list of requests. Just give me the colors you like, a general idea of style and let me work!

You do amazing work and your tutorial almost makes me think I could do that cake....almost. icon_wink.gif

LaSombra Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:42pm

That's really cool that you showed us step by step how you do your cakes...and yes, the gold looks better than the pink icon_lol.gif You can still see the pink through it though and that's cool in itself, adds depth :|

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%