Board Covering

Decorating By starbird43 Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 6:50am by starbird43

starbird43 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:33am
post #1 of 11

I was just wondering what other people are using to cover their cake boards besides the little white doily things? I was doing kind of a self teach type thing, couldnt make a rose for nothing, went to one Wilton class, and now I am really confused! They basically tell you the only things you should use are made by Wilton! I know that's a bunch of bologna!! I have seen some really pretty boards, and would like to know how others make them! All your help is appreciated!!

10 replies
darkchocolate Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:28am
post #2 of 11

The sky is the limit! You can buy fabric or wrapping paper for instance, then cover that with contact paper.

Find something that will compliment your cake and go with it.

Some websites have decorative foil that you can use. You could also cover your board in fondant.


grama_j Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:46am
post #3 of 11

I usually use foil.... you can get it at cake supply stores, craft stores, or I get alot of mine right at the florist.... You can get nearly any color you can imagine... You can get it on line too....... I LOVE it.....

snowshoe1 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 11

Yes - as pp states 'the skys the limit' - I've used the following (most are covered with food-safe contact paper:

- greeting cards
- wrapping paper
- fabric (some are silks I hand painted for the cake)
- RI, fondant
- browse the scrapbooking section of craft stores - there is a huge selection of paper you purchase by the sheet

Again, make sure you cover anything that may not be food safe.

smw06 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 11

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where can you buy the food safe contact paper?

i_heart_pastry Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 11

I typically use food-safe cellophane over a decorative board (fabric, paper, etc.). I love the crystal clear & shiny look it gives. You can get it by the roll at Michaels or AC Moore. You can also cover a board in fondant to match your cake, just give it a couple of days to dry before you put the cake on.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 11

that isn't a dumb question smw, I would love to know that answer as well!

Suzycakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 11

At WalMart with the shelf lining -- or at any general merchandising store -- KMart, Alco - etc.

darkchocolate Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 11

I just use regular contact paper.


snowshoe1 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by smw06

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where can you buy the food safe contact paper?

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask - I purchase mine at Staples - I checked the manufacturer's website before using it. Just remember, once you put it on it's not coming off.

starbird43 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:50am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all very much! Now I can use all the left over pieces of wrapping paper that I have!! I already have the clear cellophane, I buy it by the roll for the goodie baskets that my mom and I make around all the holidays! It's great stuff! (my husband always buys me flowers that come in a basket because he knows that we re-use them for the goodie baskets! It saves me a ton of money. I then just have the cost of the cellophane-well for the container anyway! I picked up some of the foil from Michaels, but I have not been able to find it elsewhere. I will have to do some hunting for that one.
Thank you all for your replies, you have sparked some really good ideas in my little brain!! More replies are still welcome, I need all the ideas I can get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%