Disaster Overnight! Help, Oh Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 9 Jun 2015 , 11:48am by Bonne Bouche

mdutcher Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 22

I have a 3 tier cake order due today at noon (8:15 now). The party's not till 5:30, so I have a little flexibility. I stacked and decorated last night and put it in my minifridge before bed. The temp was too cold and I just wanted it cool, so I adjusted the thermostat. When I woke up this morning, (apparently there was a lot of frost in the upper section) It had defrosted and dripped all down 2 sides of my cake!!!!! I have white streaks down 2 sides of my purple and pink layers!!! I dabbed the cake with a viva paper towel as much as I could. The other 2 sides look fine. My plan is to thin out my frosting and put a thin layer over the messed up sections and redecorate! Do you think this is a good idea???

Major question: What are the chances that the cake is soggy???????? Is there any way to find out without cutting into the cake???????? I don't have time to rebake!!!!! What should I do?????????? This is my first big cake order!!

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

THANK YOU!!!

michelle

21 replies
heiser73 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 22

I just saw your post and I feel soo bad for you. Unfortunately, I'm not near as experienced as a lot of people on here. I haven't made many stacked cakes, but I do think you should just cover up the streaks like you said with some thinned out icing.

I don't think the cake should be soggy so don't worry about that part of it.

Good luck..I really hope it goes well. Just take your time and relax. Please let me know how it turns out!

debbie2881 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 22

oh my i'm so sorry, i think its a good idea to scrape off some of the icing in the messed up part and try to reice. i'm not sure if the water went into the cake, i'm thinking that maybe with all the shortening it probably rolled right off. maybe you can kinda do a test on some left over frosting just to see what water will do when it hits the frosting. sorry i'm not much help but here's a bump anyway. goodluck, sorry this happened to you.

mmdd Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 22

I agree with debbie, I think you should scrape off some of the icing. Maybe it will help you tell if the cake is soggy, too.

Did you use a crusting bc? It shouldn't have went into the cake much, if any.

Good Luck to you and please let us know how everything turns out.

mdutcher Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 22

Great idea about scraping off the affected area and refrosting!! That'll be easier than trying to go over it and blend it in! I think when I scrape off the frosting, I'll dig a tiny little section of cake to check for "soggyness" and ice over that. That should work, huh? My fear is that I have a big dowel in the center of the cake and I hope to God that nothing dripped down in the center!!!

Once I get it patched, should I tell my friend what happened, just in case or no. If I don't tell her and the cake is soggy, they will be upset. If I tell her and nothings wrong with the cake, then I've worried her for nothing. What would you do?

MillyCakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 22

I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember that buttercream, especially a thick frosting, pretty much seals the cake. I bet the water just slid down the sides. If you scrape off and re-ice parts and can get a small peak then do it, but don't ruin your cake.

Should you tell - well that depends on several factors. Yousaid this was a friend - Does she know this is your first big order? Is she a close enough friend to let stuff like this roll off her back? zis she close enough for you to tell her not to serve the most "suspicious" area of the cake? At the same time, you are right - who wants people thinking your cakes are soggy?

I also have one more concern - please look back where the water dripped down. Make sure it was clean! Soggy cake is one thing - but is there happened to be a little mold or icky stuff dripping down, that would be worse!!!

Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out!!! It will happened to all of us someday!!!!

auntsushi Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 22

I am so sorry this happened to you. I had something similar happen to me last week (a cake totally stuck to a pan - 1/2 sheet cake - and I tried to reconstruct it but was not at all happy with it so I rebaked it).

Are you sure you don't have time to quickly remake the cake? I know you will be rushed but hopefully your friend will understand that you wanted it "just perfect" for her or him. I would be so worried that it was messed up (as you are) that I HAD to re-do mine. If you can QUICKLY test it to make sure it's not soggy and then re-do the icing on this one, great, but I think you might still be super worried that something is wrong with it. Last week when this happened to me, I got the re-made cake to my friend a half hour before the party .....and it was A-okay.

Hope everything works out for you. I'll say a little prayer for you this morning.....I know this can be very difficult. Hugs

mdutcher Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 22

OK, I scraped off the streaky frosting. The cake seams to be fine. I also scraped off a small section from the top of the cake and took out a 1/2" square from beside the dowel, and it tasted great--NOT SOGGY! Hopefully that is a good indicator about the rest of the cake!!!

MillyCakes, Thanks for the tip about checking the fridge!!! This fridge is 1 year old and has been used only for soda. I've never put anything in the upper section--hence the reason I didn't think about ice defrosting on my cake! icon_cry.gif I checked the area and it's completely clear ice-no mold or any other sort of debris so it should be fine in that regard.

Should I tell: Yes she's a friend-only known her for about a year--we moved here a year ago. Wouldn't say we're "real close" or anything, but she's very nice. I may tell her I had a slight problem with ice condensation, but that I checked the cake and it wasn't soggy and I scraped off the affected buttercream and to let me know if she has any problems with it....That way, if she is cutting into it and gets a soggy section, she can set it aside. She is going to have about 40 people and the size of cake I made will easily feed 60. Do you think that's a good way to handle it?

Thanks,

michelle

MillyCakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 22

I thnk that is a perfect way to handle it! Good luck! Everything will turn out fine! thumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 22

OK, I just went to move the cake, and noticed that the cake base is soggy...it's just 3 cake boards wrapped in foil. I had to use 2 pieces of foil because the base was too large for one, so I assume the water seaped in through the cracks. I put the cake up on a cooling rack to air out. I hope it dries out well. Should I put a small fan on the counter and aim it at it?

Also, I have plenty of cake scraps. Should I make up a bunch of cake balls and give them to her? That way, if she goes to serve the cake and it's indeed soggy, she will at least have something to serve her guests, right?...........Of course, that means I'll have to make at least 80 cake balls to have enough for 40 people.................and if the cake is fine, that's a lot of effort and money and waste for cake balls.......Oh I'm sooooooo upset!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

MillyCakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 22

Breathe!!!! It will be okay! Make the cake balls (can't hurt advertising another product icon_rolleyes.gif ) and take them with you. Explain the situation, offer the cake balls and maybe a small discount if you feel you should, and learn a great lesson.

We have all been through this and will go through it again. Believe in yourself!!!! thumbs_up.gif Remember - the cake you see is not the cake your customer will see. Offer the cake balls, ask your friend to watch what she serves, and it will go just fine!

MillyCakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 22

Another thought - is it a situation/event that you can offer to stay and help serve? If so - you can see the cake and do quality control.

debbie2881 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 22

ok i wouldnt mention the word "soggy". just say if there is a problem with anything please let me know, do say tho that you had a condensation problem. i dont think you want to put ideas in her head especially when you checked the cake and you didnt find anything wrong. sometimes we worry and everything turns out alright. i think MillyCakes has a great idea about serving if you could so that you can check things out for yourself. If it makes you feel better offer the cakeballs as a makeup for your problem with the cake, hopefully she understands.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 22

I always feel "Least said, soonest mended". I have found that if something is wrong with the cake, somebody probably WILL say something. However, most of the time icing covers up alot of problems and rarely do people notice problems! I highly doubt your cake is soggy, the icing probably took care of that. And any moisture will just mean "moist" anyway. I would NOT say anything because then, people might look for a problem...when they never would have noticed anything.

I have learned that even if I am insecure about a cake or think something is wrong, that if I just act confident, that 99% of the time there really is nothing wrong with my cake in the eyes of the customers.

I've only had one small complaint (transportation woes on their part) and one big complaint...and the big complaint was one that I totally knew I blew it. Otherwise most of the time even if I think I messed up a cake, the customers were completely ecstatic. So relax! Let the boo boo be your secret. thumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 22

Thank you all for your advise and support!!!!!!!!! Before I re-iced the cake, I stuck my pinky finger (freshly scrubbed with soap, by the way) in the bottom layer of the cake and it did not feel soggy!!! I redecorated the problem areas, put on the mmf stars and the mmf bow (which cracked, so I had to patch it) and successfully delivered the cake without a hitch....The base was still a little moist, so I told them that there was a little condensation problem with my fridge overnight and it got the bottom of the base wet....Left it at that and that was fine with them....She even gave me $20 more than I charged her!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so releeved and hopefully the cake will be cut and ate without any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a pic.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LL

elvis Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 22

Wow! Its very pretty!! Glad everything worked out! icon_smile.gif

MillyCakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 7:51pm
post #17 of 22

Beautiful cake!!!! Great job!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

mmdd Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:03am
post #18 of 22

Very pretty cake!!!

One would never be able to tell that anything tragic had happened to it.

ladyvader01 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:26pm
post #19 of 22

It turned out great!! You'd never know it had condensation. thumbs_up.gif GREAT job!!

Bonne Bouche Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 3:02am
post #20 of 22

Well thanks for the heads up on that.  I can't any other forum on this problem so I'll just insert it here and hope for the best.  I am a scratch baker and I am having a consistent problem with white pieces of batter in my chocolate cake-- lots of them.  It looks like the cake has not been mixed well enough and that's just not the case.  I thought it might be that membrane from the eggs so I picked that out before adding them but that's apparently not it.  Any idea what this is?  

kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 5:05am
post #21 of 22

I remember having that problem using boxed mixes too.  Finally figured out the flour needed to be sifted 3 or 4 times to get it fine enough.  Do you have an extra fine sifter screen?  Try that - hope it helps.

Bonne Bouche Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 11:48am
post #22 of 22

Thanks-- I think I figured it out-- flour sifting and, the chocolate for this recipe is added by dissolving cocoa powder in boiling water.  I don't think I'm letting it cool long enough and it's actually cooking the eggs when I add it to the batter.  Yuck.  Scrambled eggs in my cake.  Yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%