Estasrica Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:50am
post #1 of

When drapping fondant over cake.... How do you avoid the cracks? Thanks so much.

12 replies
Sparklepop Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 12:33pm
post #2 of

Make sure you have kneaded it well, give it a rest and treat it tenderly. I try to massage the cracks gently joinng them together, push the fondant up from the bottom. If still there try with another small piece of fondant and gently rub a small amount of royal icing into the cracks. It takes time but it works.

Good luck

tiggy2 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 12:55pm
post #3 of

I roll my fondant on a large piece of vinyl that I bought at the fabric store then flip it onto the cake and peel the vinyl off. Be sure to dust it the vinyl with powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture so it doesn't stick and roll it large enough to cover the cake. Haven't had a problem with it tearing since I started doing it this way. HTH

cake302003 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:28pm
post #4 of

Thanks for that tip. Can you say what kind fondant do you use and is that works also for big cakes as 12 inches or 14.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:27pm
post #5 of

I use pettinice, it's easy to work with, taste good, and I can get it locally so I don't have to pay shipping

etigg82 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:27pm
post #6 of

What store? Do you think they have any in chicagoland?

AmyBeth Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:33pm
post #7 of

I find that when I roll my fondant too thin or if it is too dry that it cracks.
When it is nice and soft and I haven't rolled it thick enough it is fine.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:39pm
post #8 of

I buy mine at a local cake supply store. Do a google search on the internet for cake supplies in Chicago and you might find something locally.

bethbyington Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:57pm
post #9 of

it also helps to have shortening on your hands as you are working with the fondant

Briarview Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:50pm

I also use Pettinice Icing but add gum trag 225g icing to 1 teaspoon gum trag. It gives it elasticity and is easier to work with and doesn't crack as easy. It also dries hard. Have a look on my website and you will see the drapes I have made. Briarview

smbegg Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:12pm

I always soften my fondant in the microwave for a few seconds and roll with shortening.

Stephanie

candy177 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:40am

I also nuke mine for a few seconds. Just be careful because you can burn yourself. I use plenty of crisco and treat it gingerly. I also make sure I take off my rings too - I've also heard you can use crisco to pinch a rip together too - but I've seen Duff use royal....I've been lucky - every time I've had a rip or a tear, I can place a decoration on top of it. icon_biggrin.gif

PS - Make sure your cake is all set to go before you start rolling your fondant. Sometimes it dries out quickly. I use MMF.

Estasrica Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:19am

THank you everyone for your imput... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%