Real Estate/mortgage People?

Lounge By maryjsgirl Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm by maryjsgirl

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #1 of 7

With all the members here I was wondering if there are any real estate brokers/agents/mortgage brokers that might be able to help me?

There is a home we wanted to purchase, but have ran into a problem. There is a guest home on the property that was given it's own address. So it has it's own taxes. Our mortgage guy said it's impossible to get a loan for the home, because technically it's two properties. He asked the sellers if they would go get them combined, but they refused.

Does anyone have any ideas to get around this? We really fell in love with this home and I just don't want to give up so easily.

6 replies
sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #2 of 7

I worked as a loan processor for several years and from my understanding banks won't lend on properties like this due to Title insurance conflicts. More than likely unless the homeowners agree to combine the properties then you won't be able to get the loan. I would suggest maybe seeing if there was any way to get the homeowners to do it. I know your broker has asked, but maybe if enough time goes by they might reconsider. Also I would suggest looking in to different properties just in case. You never know you might find something you like better. Good luck! [/code]

maryjsgirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for the reply! What's funny is they had the home for sale when we were looking at homes two years ago. The price was out of our reach then, but we loved. It was for sale for a long time and then taken off of the market. Well now it's back on the market again while we are looking again. I thought oh it was meant to be! icon_twisted.gif We are approved, ready to make and offer and boom....a huge wall. You would think after not being able to sell it the first time around they would just change it. icon_cry.gif

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 7

Okay, I'm alittle confused here...It's one peice of property?...with homes?...andthey are only selling one home?.....that does not seems possible. What about the land they are situated on? Who would own that?

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 7

Trying to sell two homes at once without combining the property - now we know why it didn't sell before.

I bought three lots with 2 houses, but the homeowner combined the properties before the sale. I can split it later, if I want to. I am thinking of splitting it and selling the big house and retiring to the little house at some point. One roadblock I had was about homeowners insurance. There's no insurance on the little house, since I was renting out for awhile and my homeowners won't cover rental property. Also the little house is not included in the appraisal of the property under my home loan but the actual land is. I am not sure I quite understand all the implications of this arrangement.

Does the RE person have an explanation of why they won't combine the properties? I would think they would be pressuring them to sell them separately or combining them in order to facilitate the sale so they can get their commission without wasting a lot of time.

maryjsgirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 7

This isn't even two lots. It's literally a small home in the back of the yard that backs up to an ally. I have no clue as to why the sellers won't combine it??? I think I will call the selling real estate agency and talk to them to find out the specifics. I don't see this house ever selling, because won't the only option is to pay the full price with no loan then?

maryjsgirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 7

double post...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%