Marina Sousa's Blue Ruffled Cake

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 6:06am by JanH

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:58am
post #31 of 50

$20,000 consultation fee?!?!??!?! You got to be kidding me. It's a trip how some of the bigger cake makers are willing to help and some aren't. I guess some remember what it was like when they started out (thank goodness) & some don't!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #32 of 50

Just out of curiosity I did a search for Gail Watson's Cakes and was surprised to see that she sells kits for some of her cakes. One sells for $800. They send you the florals , fondant, etc, you'll need and step by step instructions for making the cake. I'd never seen anything like that before. When I think of cake kit I think Wilton stuff. I wonder how many she sells. I wonder what she charges for her custom cakes after seeing the kit rates. I just thought it was interesting.

I am always always always impressed when I hear about pros helping out the little guys/up and comings. It takes heart and class to give of themselves and not act as though everyone is a threat. I really do believe there are enough cake orders to go around. There are many of those people right here at CC and I appreciate them ever so much!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:20pm
post #33 of 50

I tried contacting Colette Peters for this last cake I did, and got absolutely no response, guess she is way too busy!! Thank you Shirley for the great info, I will be waiting to see your beautiful creation!!!!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I tried contacting Colette Peters for this last cake I did, and got absolutely no response, guess she is way too busy!! Thank you Shirley for the great info, I will be waiting to see your beautiful creation!!!!

You know I took a class with her when I was first starting out at one of the cake shows. Man, she was really annoyed at those of us who were beginners. The class said "all levels". As one woman told me as she left early, I guess you shouldn't believe what you read. I left about 20 minutes later as I had a long drive home myself. Maybe she was having an off day that day too but Kim Morrison & Carrie Biggers are very patient and more than willing to answer any questions as well as the Two Sweet Sisters.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #35 of 50

I have emailed Sharon Zambito several times with questions, and she always responds. Very promptly and sweetly. She's a doll to help us beginners and wannabe's. icon_biggrin.gif

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #36 of 50

I love this cake. Thank you for sharing the information. If anyone else makes it, I would love to see a picture.

Speaking of celebrities, I once sent an Email to Kerry Vincent asking where I could get a mold for a specific piece of fondant jewelry on one of her cakes. Within a few days, I received a note saying she had made it from a piece of her own personal jewelry. To my great surprise and delight, Kerry also made a mold for me and included it with the note. I just can't express how much I appreciated her kindness and generosity.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:58pm
post #37 of 50

Wow Marina's blue cake is GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing! She was so nice to share all of the details as well!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #38 of 50

Beautiful cake....and thank you for sharing the steps....lol

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:27pm
post #39 of 50

I love that blue cake,JanH showed it to me,thanks for sharing.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #40 of 50

Thanks for bumping this up -- I keep losing track of this thread! icon_rolleyes.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #41 of 50

that cake is beautiful!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #42 of 50

Yah, there are very nice people out there willing to share and then there are the people that are afraid that you might do better them or something. I once emailed someone on what lace molds she used and she emailed me a very nasty reply. Then I heard from a mutual friend of hers/mine that she gets annoyed when wanna be's email her asking questions.That they "should figure it out for themselves" or something rude like that. You get all kinds!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Yah, there are very nice people out there willing to share and then there are the people that are afraid that you might do better them or something. I once emailed someone on what lace molds she used and she emailed me a very nasty reply. Then I heard from a mutual friend of hers/mine that she gets annoyed when wanna be's email her asking questions.That they "should figure it out for themselves" or something rude like that. You get all kinds!

I know, it's sad, some of these decorators have such class and some just haven't figured out that it's sugar, not a cure for cancer! icon_rolleyes.gificon_cool.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #44 of 50

I am so happy to find this conversation, it is so informative. It is also always heart warming to know there are people who are willing to share their experiences, but the ones who don't, I am sure they have good reasons for not doing it!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #45 of 50

OH WOW, I posted on this all the way back in '06 & I'm so happy that someone bumped it back up there, b/c I'm very interested in the choc spray technique icon_smile.gif I just wish I could see some pics of it.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:04pm
post #46 of 50

That cake is beautiful!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:02pm
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

$20,000 consultation fee?!?!??!?! You got to be kidding me. It's a trip how some of the bigger cake makers are willing to help and some aren't. I guess some remember what it was like when they started out (thank goodness) & some don't!

We see this in DC icon_lol.gif Please, fellow CC forum members, let us remember that we live all over the world and probably do not run into each other at all (maybe a class or convention, but how many actually attend those in the grand scheme of things?)...so any help I can give or get is appreciated...I know how hard it is to start out, and what you give out comes back ten fold.

At one time I was a teacher of foods...nothing gives me greater pleasure when my students look me up and tell me what they have done with my instruction. I am never too old to learn new techniques and still always young enough to seek new inspiration...I am actually doing an all ruffle cake this week-end and it has been at least a year and a half since I have done one...so, I am refreshing myself with all the information I can gather...thanks to all of you, a family is going to have a beautiful cake for Christmas.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:28pm
post #48 of 50

I am taking a course with Marina in 2011 and reading this makes me smile, I can't wait to learn from her.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #49 of 50

how do i keep track of this thread??

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:06am
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

how do i keep track of this thread??

Utilize the "watch this topic for replies" tab at the bottom of the thread.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%