First Order

Decorating By aliekitn99 Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 3:03am by alanahodgson

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 11

I have an order for a cake that if going to be for about 70 people. This is for a party for a couple that eloped and the families are getting together to have a celebration picnic at the beach. They want a beach theme cake. I gave them a few of the ideas from this website for cakes I thought I might be able to attempt and get faily decent results... Anyway, I am waiting for the final decision and I need to know the following:

1. How much is a good/fair amount to charge?
2. How much cake do I need for 70 people and have decent portions (not wedding taste portions)
3. They want a white cake, what recipe for cake do you recommend
4. They want raspberry filling and what doyou recommend for that?

I have never done anything like this other than the cakes we did in our Wilton classes. I have completed all 3 classes plus the additional fondant class.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anxiously waiting for your replys.
aliekitn99 icon_smile.gif

ps I am finding this quite stressful...

10 replies
Tevon7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tevon7 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 11

I just made a birthday cake and used fresh rasberries for the filling, cut them in half with the middle side down. They were wonderful. Or you can get a seedless pie filling (Central Market has one called solo) that seems to work. If not get a seedless jam and run it through a sifter. thumbs_up.gif

aliekitn99 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevon7

I just made a birthday cake and used fresh rasberries for the filling, cut them in half with the middle side down. They were wonderful. Or you can get a seedless pie filling (Central Market has one called solo) that seems to work. If not get a seedless jam and run it through a sifter. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so very much for your input!
aliekitn99

snowgirl600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowgirl600 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 11

For rasberry filling I have used the seedless spreadable fruit or jam, but I like to frost the cake first so the cake doesn't get too soggy. I have no idea on what to charge because I haven't charged for a cake yet.
Good Luck!!

aliekitn99 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:30am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl600

For rasberry filling I have used the seedless spreadable fruit or jam, but I like to frost the cake first so the cake doesn't get too soggy. I have no idea on what to charge because I haven't charged for a cake yet.
Good Luck!!

That is a GREAT tip...I would not have thought of the soggy cake outcome(that certainly wouldn't be impressive or appetizing...LOL)

Thank you so very much!
aliekitn99

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:44am
post #6 of 11

A 6-10-14 gives you 95 servings, not counting the top tier. If you serve the top tier, that gives you about 8-10 more. Add a 1/4 sheet cake, 9x13, and that gives you another 20. Should be plenty.
I haven't tried it, yet, not much call for white cake, but everyone raves about the WASC cake, why not try that one?
You could make the instant pudding filling in another thread, in vanilla, and stir in some raspberry preserves. Very simple, very easy. Raspberry flavor probably wouldn't hurt, either.
My best tip is to estimate how long it will take to do everything, then double it. Bake on one day, make fillings and icings the next, torte and fill and ice the next, then decorate the last.
Use cut-to-height push-in pillars and plates for support, then you can stack the cakes and add a border on site. Transport the cakes in boxes, and don't forget your camera for photos!!
Start at least with $2 a serving, then add extra for molded, dusted chocolate seashells. I charge $1 each for those. Cinnamon sugar makes great sand around the base of the cake.
125 servings=$250 dollars plus ~2 dozen shells=$245
remember what debi says: "paint is sold by the gallon, cake by the slice." You can't help it if they want more than one slice per person.
HTH,

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #7 of 11

This raspberry filling is very good:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-Raspberry-Filling.html

Definately go for WASC. I like to replace the almond ( icon_razz.gif ) with creme bouquet (icon_rolleyes.gif)

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #8 of 11

Or you could replace the almond for orange extract, it's a great combination with the raspberry filling.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #9 of 11

gram crackers work great for sand also. run them in the food processor for kind of a long time.

sounds good! be sure to post some pics!

aliekitn99 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #10 of 11

I am not sure what creme bouquet is but the other suggestions are great...you guys just keep coming up with the best ideas. I knew this was the place to go...the 6, 10, 14 sounds like the perfect serving amount with a few extras...I like the idea of the orange flavoring to complement the raspberries...I think lemon would be nice too...

again thank you all so very much...your experience and advice is melting my anxiety a bit....

aliekitn99

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #11 of 11

Creme bouquet is a flavor emulsion that I buy at my local cake supply store. You can also order it online from any number of cake supply websites. It has a very mild citrus flavor to it. Not exactly lemony but....mmmm just yummy.

here is just one place that you could order it from:

https://www.intotheoven.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=creme%20bouquet&keywords=creme+bouquet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%