Need Ideas For A Filling That Can Go Without Refridgeration!

Decorating By Amish Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 2:22am by candy177

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a chocolate cake for my sons birthday, and I wanted a filling that can go unrefridgerated. I wanted to try the ganche but am unsure of the measurements because I don't have a scale. So any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

11 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 12

You could try any fruit jam, it's not refrigerated. Lots of "canned" frosting aren't refrigerated, either. They could be doctored with nuts, fruit, coconut, anything that pleases you. You could also check in the recipes on this site. There probably many other choices. Have a wonderful party.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:46am
post #3 of 12

I would use a jam mixed with buttercream, my family loves the polaner all fruit seedless raspberry or strawberry mixed with buttercream as a filling.

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:51am
post #4 of 12

You could make a "cookies and cream" filling. Just add crushed oreos to your buttercream.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:56am
post #5 of 12

What about choc. BC Or peanutbutter mixed with reg. BC. I have always used BC. I don't have much fridge space. icon_cry.gif Those are just a few ideas.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 4:02am
post #6 of 12

What about choc. BC Or peanutbutter mixed with reg. BC. I have always used BC. I don't have much fridge space. icon_cry.gif Those are just a few ideas.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 12

Any fruit filling - strawberry, raspberry (really good with choc), orange marmalade.

The oreo BC is a nice idea.
Oreo Mousse is easy - just crush oreos in cool whip or a non-dairy whip of some sort. (awesome flavor, kids love it).

Anything that's non-dairy will work! Even fudge!

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 12

mkolmar, the BC with jam sounds yummy! How much jam do you put per cup or recipe of BC? Thanks! =)

JackSkellington11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackSkellington11 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 12

The little cups of pudding dont need refrigeration, and they make a delicious filling.

Casey icon_smile.gif

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 12

agree with all of the above...

i use snack packs for my fillings when i need something that doesn't need to go in the fridge. you can add all kinds of things to them. i also use a fresh strawberry filling with my no fridge cakes. i just cut up the strawberries and mix in some sugar to taste and let it sit for awhile. the added sugar makes its own glaze with the strawberries.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:15am
post #11 of 12

daisys, now that's one I really can't answer. I just take out a little less of buttercream that what I will actually need and add the jam to it to taste. Depending on the size of the cake and the amount of filling needed I use anywhere from 1/2 a jar to a whole jar. (I really like the jam flavor to come through though) Hope this helped some.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:22am
post #12 of 12

You don't have to refrigerate jam in a cake? I always thought you did - that's why I haven't made my pina colada cake yet (as I wanted it to have pineapple preserve filling).....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%