3-D Cakes

Decorating By sls0812 Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 12:01am by kpcrash

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

I had a friend ask me to do a Lightning McQueen 3-D Cake, but I don't know how much I should charge. I've only done them for practice so far, and have never charged for one. Would you charge per serving and how do you figure the servings, or for the cake overall.

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on how much detail your going to get into I would say $50.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 5

I actually charge on a cake by cake basis, my Lightning McQueen cake cost $85 australian dollars and that was with a Work Colleague discount, I think that's like $100 or so USD. He told me that they managed to get 35 servings out of it (not big ones) but still I thought that was pretty good. If it's to feed a lot of people you can always put the 3D car on more cake. It was only my second car and I did spend two evenings of labour on the design and decorating another separate evening on baking.

HTH

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 5

I charge 2.25 a serving for carved cakes.....and I tack on extra for fondant.....I have people say, oh I don't want the fondant and I'll tell em' too bad that design requires it be done in fondant.....and then they have to decide if they want it or not...when I can use bc I do but otherwise they have to pay extra!

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:01am
post #5 of 5

Based on other car cakes I've done - it wouldn't be unreasonable to charge $100 for about 25-30 people. Again - depends on size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%