What To Charge!

Decorating By sls0812 Updated 10 Jul 2005 , 6:16pm by caduchi

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 12:19am
post #1 of 15

I made a cake today for a lady who wanted a "75" cake for 50+ people. I told her to make sure and feed enough people that we should put the 75 on top of a sheet cake. The sheet cake is an 11 x 15 and I cut the 75 out of 2 9x13 pans. I did tip 16 stars on the top of the 75 and basketweave on the side.
I knew from the beginning that she was only wanting to pay $40 at the most. I feel like it probably should have been more like $50 since I spent so much time on it.
What would you have charged for a cake like this?
Thanks, and be honest about what you think about the cake. Let me know what you would have done differently! dunce.gif
LL

14 replies
ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 12:27am
post #2 of 15

are you serious??
you should have charged way more then $50
this are the people who need to go to walmart for there cake and i am happy to tell them
sorry that i am reacting like this

Ashiana

sls0812 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 12:40am
post #3 of 15

I am happy to know what you think. I spent a long time baking all of those cakes and decorating them. I know I made at least a $25 profit, but I do think it was worth way more then $40. I think I will charge $40 for the 11x15 alone. The only reason I didn't tell her more is because I knew she had a budget for the party and didn't want to spend more than $40 on the cake and I agreed before I knew what I got myself into.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 12:55am
post #4 of 15

You should have sold it for about $75 now she will come back and all way expect the same price. By the way the cake look great, but you were taken advantage of. If she was on a buget then she should have to gone some where else that could have gave her what she wanted. Never let someone sucker into a cake for their price; your time is just as important.

Good luck

sls0812 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 1:01am
post #5 of 15

I will keep that in mind next time. I have only been decorating for about 6 months and I have learned everything on my own or from this site. I didn't realize how much work that cake was going to be. $40 sounded good until I was actually working on it. icon_cry.gif

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 1:17am
post #6 of 15

The cake looks great!!! thumbs_up.gif You're not kidding about a lot of work... look at all the #16 stars!!!!! icon_surprised.gif You should have charged her by the star!! icon_wink.gif

Great work... definitely was worth double what you charged!!! and let her know that is a deal she won't be seeing again!!! Unless you will have all her friends calling expecting a lot for to little.

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 1:24am
post #7 of 15

The cake looks good by the way. I usually charge $30 for a basic half sheet to start with. The 75 was 2 seperate cakes! I would have charged her for the half sheet and the 2 quarter sheets it took to carve. So you maybe should have charged $60 at least!! I underestimate my work sometimes and then feel bad about what i charged. But we live in the country and people don't part with money well here. You need to take into consideration the area in which you live. Make a price list for yourself and stick to it. That's what I did and it really helped me with pricing. Good luck with all you do. icon_biggrin.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:20am
post #8 of 15

i also undercharge!!! but now am getting confident, so am finally charging a more fair price. look at it this way, at least you have a picture for your portfolio, and some advertisement. you could tell her that she got your "introductory offer" price so she wont expect that low price again!
we need to start charging what we're worth.....although i will almost do a cake for next to nothing just to get to do the cake....have to work on that!!
melody

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:41am
post #9 of 15

For someone self taught, you have a gorgeous basket weave! The problem with being new at something is that we just don't know how to price, lack self confidence, or we think we are being nice because the customer is on a "budget". We all need to remember that what the customer is not wanting to spend on a cake, they are more than willing to spend on some other item for their festivity that would probably have no impact on what they are celebrating. Think about it.... what is the center piece of a birthday celebration? The cake. Next to the bride and groom at a reception? The cake? Who cares about a stupid generic bride and groom topped bottle of bubbles?.
I say calculate your costs and charge 3 times that amount as a minimum! Or, do your basic price matrix.... $1.75 per person for plain old BC, and $2.25 to $2.50 for fondant. Don't be shy to ask for what your time is worth!

Debbi

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:43am
post #10 of 15

Since you already had agreed to $40, I would have made a 12 x18 and made the "75" from the number pans or cut them much smaller. The cake is real nice and you should have charged at least $75. That's a lot of work and, looks like you did basket weave? I would have Iced it smooth. When I think about it, I would have probably done a bct for the "75". Yeah, that was a introductory price, set your prices and stick to them. Again, real nice job on that cake.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:44am
post #11 of 15

By the way i forgot to say that the cake looks great
You shouln't undercharge because you have been doing it for 6 months
You should charge by the quality.....which your cake definetely has

AShiana

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 15

i have to say that i sometimes undercharge as well, but no more. if a customer wants a certain cake then she will have to pay for what it's worth or i will say no. hey, they either get it from the commissary or find someone else to do it. it is hard to figure out what a cake is worth, but every person is different. i say charge what you, not the customer thinks is fair. you are the one putting in the time and work to do it.

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 15

I agree that I would have charged for a 1/2 sheet and 2 1/4 sheets! so at least $60 bucks. You did a great job though! Just speak up next time and tell her what she can get for $40 bucks and stick to it, if she needs more than what that can buy, then she will have to spend more! It took me awhile to stop undercharging, my mom is the worst I must say! Every time I quote a price for her, she is always like "what about my mom discount?" Good luck and keep up the great work! thumbs_up.gif

Andicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andicake Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 5:35pm
post #14 of 15

Your cake looks awsome! you definitly should have gotten more for your work.
I have to say, I do the same thing and want to help people out and try to fit in their budget. I look at it this way, I want to like the cake too so I don't like to do just a plain ol cake. Maybe when I get more people asking for cakes I will get better LOL

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 6:16pm
post #15 of 15

Well girl, let me tell you u need to start charging more for your cakes, this is a very nice cake, and i can imagine how long you work on it.
Well i also put in my price the gas that i use to bake, and also the water i use to wash my things after i'm done.
And like u i never had a lesson in decorating in BC, but i do charge for my work, i lately had a lesson in rolled fondant, and it was fun.
so Charge for everything u use to make the cake done to the last item and time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%