Warning For Bridal Shows

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm by FlowerGirlMN

maryjsgirl Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:48am
post #1 of 10

I called the company that runs our bridal shows to get all my ducks in a row for the future. I asked if cake shops were allowed to hand out samples. She said yes, but warned me that the Health Department showed up last year and busted some of the cake shops. I guess in Indiana or my city at least you need to purchase a temporary food permit to hand out food samples. Here they cost $35.

Just a little FYI. icon_wink.gif

9 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:50am
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I called the company that runs our bridal shows to get all my ducks in a row for the future. I asked if cake shops were allowed to hand out samples. She said yes, but warned me that the Health Department showed up last year and busted some of the cake shops. I guess in Indiana or my city at least you need to purchase a temporary food permit to hand out food samples. Here they cost $35.

Just a little FYI. icon_wink.gif

Even if you're already health licensed? Is this in addition to that? If so, this is good info .... I wasn't aware of that.

kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:23am
post #3 of 10

In IN the health dept rules vary from county to county though most have very similar laws.
In Elkhart county if you have a licensed shop you did NOT need the temp one. The health dept told me I was the only participant that didn't need the special one day permit because bakery products are not considered hazardous.
The ONLY way we could hand out samples was to have them in lidded cups already made up in our licensed shop. It took me 2 days to cut & cup some 800 samples of cake.
Also when at the show, the cups had to be in a container (bus tray) 4" off the floor.

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #4 of 10

I'll definitely see what's needed in my county. Thanks for posting this and bringing to it our attention. VERY helpful!

cambo Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 10

That was very nice of the bridal show contact to share that with you! Don't know that other venues would have done the same! Something to keep in mind when/if I ever participate in one!

reneeisorym Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 10

THanks for posting that. I had no idea.

mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 10

That's good infor to know. Thank you for sharing it.

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 10

Add'l FYI ..... I finally remembered to ask about this. My health inspector (may differ from county to county) said that if I am handing out cake samples that were made and packaged in my kitchen, then I'm ok with the license I have. If I hand out hot foods (i.e. I'm sampling for the catering side of the biz), then I need a special permit for that, in addition to my regular license.

TheButterWench Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 10

Down here when I participate in a fair or festival, I have to purchase additional permits

FlowerGirlMN Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 10

it's the same here - you need a temporary permit to serve the samples at a wedding show.

The show I do includes the form for the permit in with all the other forms though, so it
s no big secret or surprise. Simple!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%