Where Did You Find Your Long Bread Knife?????

Decorating By butternut Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm by JoJoMick

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 20

Hello all. I've been looking for a bread knife so that I can torte my 11x15 cakes. I have searched high and low where I live and cannot find one more than 8 inches long. Where did you find yours?????? Thanks so much.

19 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 20

the best bread knife I got came from my dad .. he stood in line at one of those demonstrations inside wal mart and then was given a free bread knife ... he had already gotten my mom one and then went back to listen again and then handed my dh and I the knife .. its such a great knife we use it for everything!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 20

I have 2. One is a 9" Wustoff (sp?) and I go down one side and then down the other. The next one will torte an 11x15 easily because the blade is so long and it's a Next Day Gourmet product. No going around the cake with this knife, just start to torte. I usually use my Next Day Gourmet knife for bigger cake torting. This was part of a gift for me though so I don't know where it was bought, I'm sure you could find out though online.
If I could, I would buy an Agby torter, but they are pricy, but are oooohhhhh so nice!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 20

I got mine at AceMart Restaurant Supply. It was relatively cheap and good quality. They have locations all over the US and a website also. www.acemart.com

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 20

I have two. One is a JAHenkel that came in a block set that I bought. The other one is a pampered chef one that cost me about $9

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 20

I love my LamsonSharp Pro. It is a serrated edge bread knife with a 16" long blade and wooden handle. And they are on sale.
http://www.cheftools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=12%2D0083

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 20

I have this Wusthof 10" bread knife: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=154020

There are also some 10" bread knives for about $12 from www.instawares.com but I do not know how good they are.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 20

Thank you each and every one of you. You've all been a tremendous help and I really do appreciate it!!

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:16am
post #9 of 20

I got a 14" knife from cakedeco.com
http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=300&page=3

I love it, it's great for sheet cakes.

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:27am
post #10 of 20

Mine is a Miracle Blade.

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #11 of 20
weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #12 of 20

Pfeil & Holing has a 14 inch bread knife

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #13 of 20

I also have the pampered chef bread knife...love that it also has the safety cover.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #14 of 20

I have a large beef carving knife as pictured here, but has a 14" blade: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=194081&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Eyahoo%2Ecom%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dbeef%2Bcarving%2Bknife%26fr%3Dyfp%2Dt%2D501%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3Dutf%2D8

I have a friend who works in a restaurant. Once these knives are too dull to cut beef, they throw them away, but my friend says the knives are still good for other things .... just not sharp enough for beef anymore. So he got a couple for me.

Not only great for leveling, but you can cut a 12x18 sheet of brownies in no time flat!

I found this link on the internet that sells the 14" blade: http://www.restaurantsource.com/prodList.cfm/35441,M,SOFGRIP®%20Slicers,MX0

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:18am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

I also have the pampered chef bread knife...love that it also has the safety cover.

Ditto on that. I have the same knife and love the sheath icon_biggrin.gif

I used to sell Pampered Chef and so have alot of their gadgets. That knife is one of their best products. Love it thumbs_up.gif

eema2four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eema2four Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:45am
post #16 of 20

We use the Pampered Chef bread knife. DH notices when I try to swap it (and take it for my baking needs!)

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:26pm
post #17 of 20

I use a carving knife like you'd see a server on a buffet use to cut those really thin slices of ham or beef. It is very thin and very very sharp. The blade not including the handle is over 12" long and it is flat, not serrated or hollow ground and doesn't make a lot of crumbs. Those serrated bread knives seemed to me to make a lot of crumbs.

I bought it at the local restaurant supply store.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

I use a carving knife like you'd see a server on a buffet use to cut those really thin slices of ham or beef. It is very thin and very very sharp. The blade not including the handle is over 12" long and it is flat, not serrated or hollow ground and doesn't make a lot of crumbs. Those serrated bread knives seemed to me to make a lot of crumbs.

So right! That's the kind I have. (See prev post with links to photos).

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

So right! That's the kind I have. (See prev post with links to photos).

Almost...... mine doesn't have a wavy edge like IndyDeb's example- it is perfectly flat, but I can't remember the brand.

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #20 of 20

A couple of years ago, I was looking for a long knife that would slice cheesecake and I found a couple of different ones (not knowing which might work) and I found them at a Salvation Army thrift store. A quarter apiece!!!! You never know . . . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%