What Is The Most You Have Charged For A Cake?

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm by beccakelly

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 25

....and what is the most you would ever pay for a cake.

I like to watch Platnium Weddings.....hey, I can dream! My hubby watches, shakes his head and says, "Some people have more money than sense." I have to agree but I also have never had more money than sense!!

Some of the cakes cost several thousand dollars. They are very nice looking cakes but I just can't see paying $5000 for a plain looking 5 tier cake. I know that one's time and talent is what people are really paying for when they buy a cake but some of the prices I see are just outrageous. Do wealthy people just expect to pay alot of money for things?

I guess it's the same thing as someone paying $8.00 for a cotton t-shirt at Target and someone paying $30.00 for a cotton t-shirt at Nieman Marcus.

24 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 25

The most I've charged for a cake is $450 for a 4-tier basic buttercream or I did a couple of 3-tier with several gumpaste roses, but I'm in rural Oklahoma and that's average for around here. As for what I'd pay--not more than that!!!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 25

$4750 for a 9 tier, 5' tall cake that fed 500 and had 250 gumpaste roses plus filler. And no, theres no way I would ever pay that for a cake! lol

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:12am
post #4 of 25

OMG, Kory!!! I am so JEALOUS. lol.

My highest is 600. I wouldn't pay more than 100. But I know how to make it myself!

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:24am
post #5 of 25

So far the most I have ever charged for a cake is $1500, but I'm hoping that will change of course!

The most I would pay for a cake is probably $100 only because for something more fabulous I would do myself. icon_wink.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:24am
post #6 of 25

I think my highest yet is $367. I don't know how high I'd go to pay for one myself, but I can't imagine a few thousand! Which is why I guess I'll never get to try one of Duff's cakes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:28am
post #7 of 25

with all of these prices everyone is posting, what was the servings for the cakes? A cake could be 1000 and only serve 100 ppl or it could serve 300 ppl.

I don't know I think it is interesting to see the overall price, but I break everything down per serving, that is when I know a lot of detail went into the cake.

just another perspective.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:36am
post #8 of 25

I don't have set rates to go by. Normally, it's "whatever you feel comfortable paying"...If it was something I'd rather not do, I'd quote something like 5000.00. with that price, either way I'd be happy. No one ever paid it. lol

I'd pay about 6 dollars for a cake...pepperidge farms' coconut layer cake with the pineapple filling....YUM EEE!!!

southaustingirl Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #9 of 25

The weddings on Platnium Weddings are typically for people who have 300-500 guests. And tons of money!!

I have only seen one episode where I recognize the cake decorator...it was C. Peters. And I can't remember what she charged for the cake...at least I think it was an episode from Platnium Weddings.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:44am
post #10 of 25

Well, I've got you all beat! I have charged a whole $45 for a cake! icon_lol.gif
I can't wait until I can charge more.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #11 of 25

Well, my $367 was for 150 people. Fairly cheap cake, really. I did quote someone $2100 once, but I never heard from them again. icon_confused.gif

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #12 of 25

There's also a wedding show on vh1 called "My big fat fabulous wedding". Is C. Peters the one in NY with the round black glasses? Anyway the cake was spectacular and it took a plane ride from NY to TX (I think). I was about 8' tall when done, she even had it decorated before it boarded the plane. All it showed her doing at the reception was stacking it with pillars.

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #13 of 25

It was a monster for 750.00.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #14 of 25

Jenni2383...never seen the show you mentioned, but if the woman was from NY and had big round black glasses, that would be Sylvia Weinstock

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:22am
post #15 of 25

The cake that I made that was $1500 was for 250 people and all fondant. I have met and worked with Colette Peters from NY and she does everything in fondant (she will not use any other medium) and she will not take an order for less than $800. I guess when you become that renowned you can do that.

By the way, she was a fabulous person and very fun to work with. I hope I get the opportunity to do so again in the future.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:57pm
post #16 of 25

I.charged.£600.($1200).for.my.wrap.and.ruffles.cake

Sorry.about.the.full.stops.my.space.bar.is.broken!

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 25

$500 FOR 33 6" ROUNDS TO BE USED AS CENTER PIECES, PLUS ANOTHER $150 FOR A MATCHING 2 TIER ITS THE BLUE W/BROWN RIBBON ROSES IN MY GALLERY

JULIA

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 25

The last wedding cake I did was $500. 100 servings, BC.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 25

I got $485 for my shimmer dots wedding cake... 4 layers 8,10,12,14. I thought that was a lot, well, for me it was! I wouldn't really pay much for a cake, cuz I would do it myself, or get alicegop to do it for me... icon_smile.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 25

" I have met and worked with Colette Peters from NY and she does everything in fondant (she will not use any other medium)"

Sorry.... I have a book of hers, "Collette's Christmas", and MOST of the cakes in there are butter cream..... I will grant you, it is an older book, but she DOES work with other mediums than fondant....

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:28pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Well, I've got you all beat! I have charged a whole $45 for a cake! icon_lol.gif
I can't wait until I can charge more.

You can charge more NOW!!! Your Tiffany blue wedding cake and your gramma's cake are worth a whole lot more than 45.00!

I refuse to pay for cakes or anything I know I can make. Only made one wedding cake and it was a freebie. Most I charged is 100.00 for penis cake cause I didn't want to do it, but the lady paid it. Crazy!!!( Made a freebie for neices bachlorette party icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif) This is my practice year, next year (I hope) will be my get serious and charge more year!

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:50pm
post #22 of 25

well i dont have a business yet but a guy paid me 75 for the baptism cake i have on here. he was just supposed to pay for the supplies which was around 40 bucks but when i delivered it he gave me more. but there is no way i would spend 1000's on a cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 25

I agree the size of the cake makes a difference. I have a flat fee per serving, so the highest price I would get is for the biggest cake I make.

So maybe the question should be: What is the biggest cake you've ever made?

southaustingirl Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:22pm
post #24 of 25

That's a good question.........so what it the biggest cake you have ever made?

I made a weding cake years ago for a friend of mine......typical 3 tier cake with columns with (4) 8", double layer cakes placed around the tiers.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #25 of 25

so far the biggest wedding cake order i've had was for $426. it was for a 3 tier wedding cake and a grooms cake to feed 150 people. hopefully that answer will be much higher after next year when i've done more business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%