Triplets...help!

Decorating By ChRiStY_71 Updated 7 Oct 2006 , 4:13am by kjgjam22

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 24

I work in a therapy clinic and one of our patients is one of a set of triplets. They will be turning six in a couple of weeks and I would like to bake thier birthday cake(s) as a gift. They are being raised by a single mom who really struggles to provide for them. I am sure that it will not offend her if I offer to bake their birthday cake(s)...but my question is do I bake one Big cake or three smaller cakes? I forgot to mention that one of the boys is autistic while the other two are typically developing, so their interests are vastly different.

Let me know what you think...TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 24

My nephews are identical twins. They are seven years old, and trust me, if I made one big cake I'd never here the end of it. They are at the age when they want to start being treated as individuals. IMHO, I would make three different cakes. It can't hurt. And then each cake is extra special to each child because you made the cake just for them!

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 24

It would be more work but I would do each one a cake. That way each child is thought of and not part of a "group". Does that make sense?

ChRiStY_71 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 24

That's what I was thinking! I hate to overload them with cake, but I would like for each one of them to feel as special as they are. Can you tell that they pull at my heart strings?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 24

I think it would be adorable to do three separate "mini" cakes.......maybe a 4" cake for each !!! I think the kids would get a huge kick out of it too. I have a stepdaughter and son who's birthdays are one day apart, so naturally we have a combined party but I always make sure they each have their OWN cake!!! After all they are their OWN person. I think there's something cool about having a cake all to yourself even if you have to share the day with someone else!! Besides they'll probably think it's cool......you could go a step further and ask the mom what each of their favorite flavors are too.......and then use your extra batter to make up some cake balls (truffles) for mom to enjoy!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 24

I would also do 3 seperate small cakes. Is there any way to find out what their favorite colors are? then Maybe you can do cake and mix match the colors of the borders.
That's really sweet of you!

Kat

ChRiStY_71 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 24

They come in twice a week for therapy. I always entertain two of them while their brother is getting therapy...so I'll have to do some investigating!

The one that is autistic comes to find me the minute he gets here to show me the Mastercard/Visa sign on our door and he says "Mastercard...Visa". (Keep in mind he's autistic, so that's kind of a big thing!) I thought I would do his cake with those symbols on it and replace Master Card with Happy Birthday and Visa with his name and on the bottom, write "Turning Six Years Old....Priceless". What do you think...does that sound too corny?

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 24

I think the mastercard/visa idea would be perfect. It shows that you pay attention to him and know what he can point out. Great Idea.

ChRiStY_71 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks! Now for the other two!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 24

I vote for 3 little cakes!
Judy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 24

I think the mastercard/visa idea is adorable!!!!! Great thinking on the priceless part.

CSN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSN Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 24

That's a great idea to have a small cake for each in their favorite color and the one that you said with the Mastercard symbol (that's not a corny idea at all) Just find out from their MOM what the other two like. Another idea would be to put their photos on each cake.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 24

As much as I love twins and triplets, etc, and wish I had a set when I was pregnant, I have to agree with everyone else. If I were the recipient, and was given a choice, I would want my own cake.

Just make sure to include the mom in the design.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 24

I love the mastercard/ priceless idea!!

I also want to say that I think that it is incredibly sweet and thoughtful of you to want to make their birthday cakes.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 4:50am
post #15 of 24

I don't have twins but I do have two kids born the same month. They each have a separate party here but when traveling to the inlaws we combine for one party but I do two separate cakes. April is one huge cake month for us. And if we have any more children they will more than likely be born close to this time. For some reason no matter when I get pregnant I lose or have the kids at this time. I would always have seperate cakes for them.

I think it's awesome that you want to do this for them. Have fun baking.

ChRiStY_71 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 24

Thank you all for your input! I'll post pics when they're done!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #17 of 24

I have twins and have ALWAYS done seperate cakes! Just because they were born at the same time doesn't mean they are one person! It's a lot of work for you, and what a wonderful gesture you are offering, but I'd go with 3 little ones.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 24

Christy-be sure to ask/tell the mom ahead of time. You wouldn't want her to be ordering a cake from someone else without knowing of your generous gift. That's such a great idea! I'm sure she will be touched and the children will be thrilled!

ChRiStY_71 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks...I'm going to talk to her when she comes in next week. She's really struggling to make ends meet, so I don't think she has been able to order a cake yet, their birthday isn't until the end of October.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #20 of 24

What a nice thing for you to do. I was a single mother for 10 months - I am sure she will appreciate it and be touched by your kindness and generosity.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 24

Christy - I completely agree with everyone else on doing separate cakes. And what a sweetheart you are for thinking of these boys!

I only have one suggestion, though, that maybe you can take into consideration. My 4 year old is borderline autistic and has some issues with "rigidity", meaning if something is not the way it should be or not how he thinks it should be, he really gets upset. I love your idea about the Mastercard/Visa cake, but my first thought was that if this little boy is "rigid", it may bother him that you've switched the wording. In his mind, it won't be right because it doesn't say "Mastercard" or "Visa". Does that make any sense? I hope I don't sound like I'm raining on your parade, because I definitely think you're doing a wonderful, wonderful thing, but as a parent of a special needs child, that was just my first thought. Maybe you could ask his mom if she thinks he will be bothered by that. It could be that "rigidity" is not an issue for him, so it would all be fine. Good luck, and I can't wait to see your pictures! icon_smile.gif

ChRiStY_71 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks potatocakes...hadn't thought of that. I'll go over it with Mom. Maybe I should draw it out and show it to him and see how he reacts.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #23 of 24

I think the 6" pan makes the perfect size for an individual cake. 2 layers will use less than 1 box of mix.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:13am
post #24 of 24

three 4 inch or 6 inch personalised cakes would be great. that way they all get what they want. sounds cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%