How Far In Advance Can You Bake The Cake?

Decorating By chrissielsu Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 7:28pm by Katskakes

chrissielsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissielsu Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 4

I am a newbie to cake decorating---currently in Course 2. I am baking my daughter's third birthday cake myself. The party is Saturday morning, so I was wondering if it would be okay to bake the cakes themselves tonight, versus having to do it tomorrow. What are the guidelines for these things? Do I have to crumb coat it, or can I just wrap up the cake in saran wrap till I'm ready to decorate tomorrow. I was just going to be leaving it out tomorrow night since it will be a stacked cake, meaning no room in the refrigerator. Thanks so much for any advice.
Chrissie

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 4

you can go ahead and bake today.....definitely.........wrap in saran wrap once it's cooled....or you can go ahead and crumb coat it.....or fully ice it and it should be fine.......most cakes if left uncut (as long as there is no perishable icing or fillings) can be left at room temperature in a box for several days without them drying out!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 4

You can bake way ahead and freeze them so in the future you can bake weeks ahead of time or have layers on hand, etc. Actually, they stay super moist. Bake, let them cool, wrap really well in plastic wrap and then freeze them. Tomorrow you can take them out, let them thaw out still wrapped in plastic so the condensation is on the wrap and not on your cakes, then stack and decorate as usual.

I've read before that putting them in the fridge actually dries them out more...something to do wtih the air circulation taking the moisture out which is why it is better to freeze than refridgerate - freezing traps the moisture in.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 4

I also have to make cakes for Saturday. My daughters 2nd and son's 12th. i will start baking them tonight, it's what i usually do for a Saturday party. Then i coat them. I usually start decorating them on Friday night and put them in the fridge once i'm done til Sat. Depending on what i've covered the cake with, i might leave outside.
You can definately bake tonight, freeze til you are ready to decorate.

have fun!
Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%