Sculpey Clay Gun Or Sugarcraft Gun?

Decorating By MammaViv Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 3:32am by MammaViv

MammaViv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaViv Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #1 of 17

Which is better? Obviously, there is a difference in price. I noticed that the sculpey clay gun can be purchased for less than $10 while the sugarcraft gun can be purchased for alittle under $40.

Hopefully this is not one of those "questions with an obvious answer".....but if the sculpey clay gun is good enough, I'd rather go for that and save $30. (Tho, I'd like the tool to last a bit......not just the kind which breaks after a couple times use icon_wink.gif

Feedback please, ladies.......... icon_smile.gif

16 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #2 of 17

I prefer the red and black sugarcraft gun. It is easy on the hands and comes with many discs.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:57am
post #3 of 17

I'm a hobbyist and couldn't justify the $40 expense for something I wouldn't use very often. The sculpey one is durable but hard on the hands. but since I only use it occasionally that's okay.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:57am
post #4 of 17

You should definitely go for the Sugar craft gun. It is much easier to squeeze out the paste with the lever action, as this gun mechanically assists you it don't it. The other type you need to apply all the force yourself. Maybe the cheaper one would be good if you only plan to use it a couple of times a year, but if you are doing more than that, definitely go for the sugar craft one. I did a 12inch cake with stripes all over the side, using the sugar scraft gun and this was difficult enough, but it would have been impossible using the cheaper type.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:59am
post #5 of 17

I used both and I would go with the sugar craft gun even if you use it only twice a month. A lot EASIER then the sculpy gun.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:07am
post #6 of 17

Forget the Sculpey one. I have that one - or at least I think I do - i have a metal one that is supposed to be for clay - it has a "pusher" that you push down and your fondant is supposed to come out from the disk at the end.... it's not worth the cheap $10 that it is.... the Sugarcraft gun - when you see people use it - it's amazing how easy it is. It is a big purchase - I just went to ICES and had saved money up for purchases like that, so I just got one. I haven't used it yet - but I've used the other one and have been frustrated every single time. So just to avoid that frustration, get the Sugarcraft one.

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:12am
post #7 of 17

I just bought a clay gun last week, would love to return it. Its VERY difficult to squeeze. I handed it to my husband, he tried and handed it right back. Umm my hand hasn't been the same since lol. Seriously, I think I bruised the palm of my hand!!!!!

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #8 of 17

Go with the Sugarcraft gun....don't waste your money on the sculpy one like I did.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:19am
post #9 of 17

the sugarcraft gun works easily but holds so little fondant i can't use it. It also wasn't inexpensive. I purchased the makins clay gun at michaels in the polymer clay isle with the 40% coupon and it works just as easily as the sugarcraft gun and holds more fondant and at 40% off it was very reasonable!

Debbie

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #10 of 17

I have both and prefer the sugarcraft gun hands down! I feel like it was worth the extra money.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #11 of 17

I just bought the Sculpey clay gun this morning and am going to return it tomarrow morning! It is too hard to use! I couldn't get it to push out a rope of fondant for anything!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:08am
post #12 of 17

I have the black & red Sugarcraft gun (others carry it, too) and I hate it. It holds so little and I have to add so much crisco to the fondant to get it to squeeze easily--ughh!

I bought the shiny green metal Makin's extruder at Michael's (in the sculpey/fimo clay aisle) with a coupon, so it cost me about $12. It has a ton of disks and you can buy an additional 10-12 pack for another $10, before coupon.

With the metal Makins extruder, the barrel is nice and long--I get a good 18 inch rope out of it--easy to clean, and easy to turn the "T" handle.

I use the metal Makins extruder so often, I can't even find my other one anymore......

http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-productinfo-category-97-product-745/makins-professional-ultimate-clay-extruder.html

Rae

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:55pm
post #13 of 17

The extruder that BlakesCakes linked to is the one i'm using also. I love it so much more than the sugarcraft gun - it works easily and you can get a much longer rope from it than with the sugarcraft gun.

Debbie

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:10pm
post #14 of 17

I havent use the sculpty one, but I love my sugarcraft gun. I use it quite a bit...it was worth the money to me.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 17

I bought the Sculpey one with a 40% off coupon two days ago, and I am really glad that I got the 40% off because that thing is a real bugger to use. The first two pushes were fine. But after that, I had to prop it up on my counter top and push down with my palms in order to make even a 1/2 inch of fondant come out. Forget going to the gym - just get a Sculpey gun for sugar work and you'll have arms like Popeye in no time flat!

If it is something that you will use even once a month or so, I'd spend the $$ and get the Sugarcraft one. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by allie73

I bought the Sculpey one.... that thing is a real bugger to use. The first two pushes were fine. But after that, I had to prop it up on my counter top and push down with my palms in order to make even a 1/2 inch of fondant come out. icon_biggrin.gif

That's why I never bought the push style Sculpey extruder (the more expensive style is a silver tube and the cheapo one is the green plastic tube)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people have even made adapters for these type of extruders because they're so hard to use. They really are a waste.

The "T" handled Makins extruder is nothing like the push tube Sculpey one. There is no strain on your hands from the "T" style. With the Sugarcraft gun, if the fondant/gumpaste isn't "stretchy" enough (having added crisco to it), the pump action handle can start to strain & bruise your palm very quickly!

Rae

MammaViv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaViv Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:32am
post #17 of 17

Thanks for the feedback. It makes it so much easier to decide.

THANK YOU SO MUCH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%