Homebakers In New York

Business By Mamas Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 5:05am by esty

Mamas Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:42am
post #1 of 12

Are there any home based bakers out there operating in New York?

Just wondering if you could share how you got started and offer any advice on serving in the big apple.

11 replies
leily Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:01am
post #2 of 12

Here is a topic and an article about home based business throughout the US. These would be places to start to make sure you can have a home based business. Most likely you will need to contact either your health department or your department of agriculture.

As for getting started I suggest reading through quite a few of the topics in the business forum as most of the stuff it doesn't matter what state you are in (although there are always different rules, heck even county to county and city to city in the same state)

HTH

Mamas Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:29am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for responding but I am really hoping to hear from fellow native New Yorkers that are putting theory into practice.

I have read some of the articles and threads (including the ones you have posted), received advice and taken a couple of courses including a Food Safety Certification Course but there is a world of difference between reading and doing.

armywife1 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:39am
post #5 of 12

HI MAMAS. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN NY AND AM IN NEED OF SOME ANSWERS TOO. ONE FORUM SAID IT VARIES COUNTY BY COUNTY HERE. I NEED TO CALL THIS WEEK TO VERIFY. IF I FIND OUT ANYTHING I'LL LET YOU KNOW. WHAT COUNTY DO YOU LIVE IN? IF YOU FIND OUT ANYTHING, WOULD YOU MIND SHARING? THANKS...

armywife1 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

OK. I THINK I MISREAD YOUR OPENING. icon_redface.gif IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE ALREADY LICENSED AND JUST LOOKING FOR A GOOD WAY TO START YOUR BUSINESS... IS THAT RIGHT???? IF YOU ARE ALREADY LICENSED, MAYBE YOU COULD TELL ME IF THE STATE ALLOWS YOU TO USE YOUR PERSONAL KITCHEN TO RUN A BUSINESS OUT OF? THAT IS THE BIG QUESTION THAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT.

Mamas Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:30am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

OK. I THINK I MISREAD YOUR OPENING. icon_redface.gif IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE ALREADY LICENSED AND JUST LOOKING FOR A GOOD WAY TO START YOUR BUSINESS... IS THAT RIGHT???? IF YOU ARE ALREADY LICENSED, MAYBE YOU COULD TELL ME IF THE STATE ALLOWS YOU TO USE YOUR PERSONAL KITCHEN TO RUN A BUSINESS OUT OF? THAT IS THE BIG QUESTION THAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT.

No I am not already licensed. As far as I can tell, you don't need a license if you are not dealing with potentially hazardous foods like raw eggs and meat products. For New York it isn't the Health Department I believe it is the Department of Agriculture and as stated on another site it varies from county to county.

I contacted the Department of Agriculture and received some information and apparently all you have to do is make sure that you label your product with an accurate list of ingredients, a business address and get your kitchen inspected.

the address for Kings County is:
State of New York
Department of Agriculture and Markets
55 Hansen Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217

I don't know much else yet. I will look for the phone number and get it to you as soon as I find it.

armywife1 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:06am
post #8 of 12

thanks mamas for the information. i emailed the dept. of ag., so hopefully i'll hear something back from them this week. my only concern is that we have a dog (who IS NOT allowed in the kitchen). do you know the stipulations on that?

as far as getting a head start on things here in NY, i make cakes and 'get them out there'. i obviously do not charge, but i have people already lined up when that day comes. that's something that has worked for me. if you haven't already , i would maybe suggest it so the people can see your work. as far as pricing, people here on CC say it varies state to state. but the base-line pricing seems to be $2.50 per serving and around .25 for the filling. if you do a fondant cake, it should be more per serving. that's what i will base my prices on when i get started.

what part of ny are you living?

harlemcakelady Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 12

HI.

I'm from NYC.

I currently rent a commercial kitchen in order to make my cakes.

It all depends on what your'e doing.

Here goes:

If you are baking cakes wholesale then the dept. of agriculture will come and inspect your kitchen. they will explain to you and help you with your Nutrional labeling. Labeling per recipe cost anywhere from $150 - 200 per recipe. So if you have many different recipes it gets costly. This only applies to you if you are selling wholesale to markets and delis, etc. Then they will also explain and help you with packaging.

If you are not baking wholesale and are selling directly to the customer then you cannot become legal even if you add another kitchen in your home, basement, etc.

In Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Bronx it is not legal to have a business in a residential zoned neighborhood unless you are commercially zoned and the space can be classified as a non living space.

The inspector told me my only way around this would be to rent a commercial kitchen and then I would need to get my Article 20-C license.

You will also need a food safety certificate
General Liability insurance so in case someone gets sick and sues you are protected.

Dont forget your DBA Business certificate that you can acquire from County Clerk it's about $100 + $10 for each certfieid copy.

Business bank account
Adequate record keeping for IRS

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Mamas Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemcakelady

HI.

I'm from NYC.

I currently rent a commercial kitchen in order to make my cakes.

It all depends on what your'e doing.

Here goes:

If you are baking cakes wholesale then the dept. of agriculture will come and inspect your kitchen. they will explain to you and help you with your Nutrional labeling. Labeling per recipe cost anywhere from $150 - 200 per recipe. So if you have many different recipes it gets costly. This only applies to you if you are selling wholesale to markets and delis, etc. Then they will also explain and help you with packaging.

If you are not baking wholesale and are selling directly to the customer then you cannot become legal even if you add another kitchen in your home, basement, etc.

In Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Bronx it is not legal to have a business in a residential zoned neighborhood unless you are commercially zoned and the space can be classified as a non living space.

The inspector told me my only way around this would be to rent a commercial kitchen and then I would need to get my Article 20-C license.

You will also need a food safety certificate
General Liability insurance so in case someone gets sick and sues you are protected.

Dont forget your DBA Business certificate that you can acquire from County Clerk it's about $100 + $10 for each certfieid copy.

Business bank account
Adequate record keeping for IRS

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

That is the most comprehensive answer I have ever gotten and I have contacted the Department of Agriculture. How did you find all of this out? Where do you rent kitchen space. there is a place called kitchen for hire near me but they are expensive.

harlemcakelady Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 12

Hi.

It took some time for me to find out but I was determined. I didn't want no for an answer.

I called and spoke to my inspector Dundorf (I hope that spelling is correct). He was very patient and helpful. I called him every time I had a question and he was there to answer. I asked for his personal opinion and he gave it to me.

You can be in business legally but it will cost you a little more than it would if your home kitchen was licensed.

Kitchen for Hire is a little expensive. They quoted $30.00 per hour to me.

The Kitchen I bake at was just in the NY Times.
I pay $180 for the day during the week or if it's a weekend it's $220 per day. It seems like a lot but I made it work.

The website for more information is www.mikitchenessukitchen.com

esty Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:05am
post #12 of 12

Can I please have the number for inspector Dundorg, I also work out of my home, but it's in a commercial zoning area, and I work out of the basement, which is completely out of my house, there's a seperate entrance. I tried reaching the dept of agriculture, somehow, I could not reach anyone.

Thanks,
-esty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%