Fbct + 98 Degrees & Humidity??

Decorating By Suzycakes Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm by Suzycakes

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 15

I am going to attempt to do my first FBCT this week for a cake due on Saturday. We are in a massive heat wave (along with most of the nation) - with temps in the upper 90's and going into the 100's by the end of the week - of course the humidity is matching the temp with the heat index well over 100. So will this affect the FBCT?

Should I just plan on piping the design straight onto the cake?

My A/C is running fine so the house temp is not a problem, but I know the outside air does affect every cake.

Thanks for your help.

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 15

What type of icing are you using on your cake? Once the FBCT is out of the freezer and on the cake it is just like any other decoration on the cake.

Suzycakes Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 15

I guess that would be helpful to mention, huh??

I have just started using Sugarshacks Buttercream which is all hi-ratio, ps, and the coffeecreamer/water mixture and flavours.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 15

Agreed. As long as you can keep it frozen long enough to get on the cake, heat shouldn't affect it anymore than it would affect a design done in BC directly on the cake!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 15

I personally have had bad luck with all shortening frosting recipes when I have done a FBCT. When I use the frosting recommended, I have the least trouble. I know some say they use the all shortening, but it didn't work for me.

I should say that my FBCT wanted to stick and not come off.

If some of your FBCT does stick, don't worry. Just pipe some icing in the bare spot and once it crust over, you can smooth it out.

darkchocolate

TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 15

I have only ever used all crisco buttercream for these. I just use the icing I normally use for my cake because I don't see the point of making another type of icing just for the transfer.

The only time I have had this stick is if I did it to thin and/or had smaller parts sticking off from the transfer or if my icing was too soft.

Suzycakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:03am
post #7 of 15

Okay - this makes me feel so much better!!

One more question -- can you make the FBCT too soon? If I make it Wednesday night will it be okay to put on the cake Saturday morning? I know it could get freezer burn - or yucky freezer taste - so would it be best to wait until Friday night?

Thanks everyone.

camillethecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camillethecat Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #8 of 15

Apologies in advance: I am very, very new. What is FBCT? Also, what is WASC (I saw that in another post).

Much thanks!

Suzycakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #9 of 15

Not a problem - been there too!!

FBCT - Frozen ButterCream Transfer

WASC - White Almond Sour Cream cake - recipe is under the recipe tab.

There is also a forum or article that lists all of the abbreviations.

Welcome - to Cake Central!! You will get addicted - just like the rest of us!!

TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:19am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by camillethecat

Apologies in advance: I am very, very new. What is FBCT?

This is how I do my Frozen Buttercream Transfers....

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=441

suzycakes, I normally do these last minute, while I am baking or waiting for the cake to cool. icon_smile.gif I have heard of people that have done them in advance and kept them in the freezer for longer. I would place it in a air tight container or a ziplock bag if you are keeping it in there for an extended period of time to keep it from picking up the freezer tastes. People freeze buttercream for long periods of time so I don't see why it would hurt anything.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 15

I've done my FBCT up to a week in advance - but yup, cover them in plastic, or somehow prevent them from getting freezer burn and absorbing the scent of other stuff in the freezer.

Best of luck!

ange14843 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ange14843 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 15

I just did a FBCT for Saturday in this heat and I actually made it ahead of time. I just put it into a ziplock freezer bag and it turned out fine. It also tasted fine because I just happened to be invited to the bridal shower I made it for. It was however hard to deal with in this heat. It immediately started to thaw as soon as I took it out of the freezer and when I placed it on the cake and took the paper off, it had sort of a textured look. But I got it smoothed out and it turned out OK. Of course, in this heat, even my AC couldn't kick out enough cool air. But it will be fine if you make it ahead of time and freeze it.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 15

I would do it earlier than later. I use all shortening bc for mine and the only time I had a problem with it sticking was when I did it a few hours before I put it on the cake (I say a few, but it was like 6 hours). I agree with others to put it in a ziploc or plastic container after it sets up.

4cardsfanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4cardsfanz Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:53am
post #14 of 15

Where could I find an all shortening bc recipe?

Suzycakes Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks everyone -- The way this week is going it will probably be Friday night before I get to make the FBCT -- but I can finish the cake on Saturday morning - so hopefully it will have enough time to get firm in the freezer.

Wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%