What Is Your Buttercream Icing Recipe?

Baking By gourmetcakes Updated 10 Nov 2014 , 6:45am by kay12

goodnightelizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodnightelizabeth Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #31 of 64

icon_confused.gif Such a Newbie to everything. I'm looking at these receipes and find myself wondering, dare I ask, is there a difference between the Wilton buttercream receipe and these??? Maybe it's the usage of???? I'm venturing out of the betty crocker world and finding myself lost.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:05pm
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyouan

I have yet to come across a recipe that is better than the one I use, but then again different people have different tastes icon_biggrin.gif You can easily substitute the vanilla extract for any other flavor and replace some of the confectioners sugar with cocoa powder. YUM!

1 cup shortening
1 cup unsalted butter
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening until fluffy. Add sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.

Add salt, vanilla, and 6 ounces whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional 2 ounces whipping cream if necessary. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.

I made this recently and it is WONDERFUL. I used all butter and whipped until light and fluffy and my customers said it was wonderful. It will be my new standard buttercream!!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm
post #33 of 64

My recipe is a bad habit I learned from my mother;

DUMP a bag of powdered sugar
Dump some shortening
Dump some butter
Dump a dab of vanilla
Add a pinch of salt
Add a little water or milk
and mix to the right consistency.....
Just thought I'd share

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm
post #34 of 64

The recipes with cream...I'm assuming they have to be refridgerated?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:39pm
post #35 of 64

Sugarshack's Hi-ratio, hand's down. Just made my first batch last night and did the decorator's happy dance. Never going back. This will be my standard decorating icing from now on. I haven't tried any of the meringue icings yet and will likely want that for some things, but this will be my "main squeeze". (OK--pun intended icon_lol.gif ) What I like:

texture
flavor
mouth feel
non-greasy
non-gritty
not too sweet
stability
holds its shape for piping
spreadability
makes a lot--equivalent of five basic (1lb PS) Wilton recipes
bright white

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #36 of 64

You do not have to refrigerate the buttercreams that use milk, cream or butter, the ratio of fat to sugar acts as a preservative.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:56pm
post #37 of 64

All the recipes look good. Thank you for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Please, no "save" posts per Jackie & Heath:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-367983-.html

Recommended methods for saving are detailed in the thread.

Thank you - just go to the bottom of page and click "Watch this topic for replies" if you choose not to post a reply.

LorenzoRed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorenzoRed Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:57pm
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyouan

I have yet to come across a recipe that is better than the one I use, but then again different people have different tastes icon_biggrin.gif You can easily substitute the vanilla extract for any other flavor and replace some of the confectioners sugar with cocoa powder. YUM!

1 cup shortening
1 cup unsalted butter
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening until fluffy. Add sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.

Add salt, vanilla, and 6 ounces whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional 2 ounces whipping cream if necessary. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.

I used this exact recipe the other day and loved, loved, loved the flavor, just a kick of sweetness at the end, but it was so thin there was no way I could have piped with it. Are you able to pipe with yours(in which case I certainly did something wrong) Would it be okay to add meringue powder or is that not necessary in your opinion?

Thanks for any info!
Lorenzo

EDIT: I take it back, I used all butter. I bet if I use 1/2 shortening it will hold up better?

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:58pm
post #39 of 64

I have never made Italian Meringue.
Could someone tell me if it needs to be refrigerated or can I leave it covered on the counter? How long will it last?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:43am
post #40 of 64

The BC that I use is

3/4 cup precreamed shortening
3/4 cup reg shortening
1 teaspoon butavan
1 teaspoon butter flavor
2 pds ps
5 Tbs heavy whipping cream
8 tbs 1/2 and 1/2

cream the shortenings, flavors and liquids till mixed thoroughly

add ps and let it go for about 4 minutes...you might need to add more liquid...if you do use more 1/2 and 1/2

Whips up smooth, I usually have no air bubbles but if I do a quick stir with a wooden spoon does the trick...spreads wonderfully ...has a less sweet taste no need to use flour.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:36am
post #41 of 64

What is precreamed shortening?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 2:08am
post #42 of 64

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pre-creamed shortening is meat-fat shortening. I've never used it. I'm not even sure where to purchase.

However, am on the lookout for a yummy, soft buttercream that doesn't use any dairy at all for those allergic to dairy. icon_biggrin.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 2:18am
post #43 of 64

Sugarshacks is by far the best BC I've used.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:03am
post #44 of 64

Precreamed shortening is ALL veggie.....it's just what say's PRE creamed.... it's lighter icon_smile.gif

Pumkinwaffles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pumkinwaffles Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:10am
post #45 of 64

Wow just getting into cake decorating, and so many to try!

Happy Decorating,

Alicia

deyouan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deyouan Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm
post #46 of 64

LorenzoRed
You said your Buttercream was too thin. You did not "Whip" it enough. I always use this recipe for decorating and have never had any problems piping it. Try it again, but whip it for a good 4 minutes. Also, make sure you are only using 6oz of cream, the other 2 oz should be used if your frosting is too thick.

Annette DeYoung

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:43pm
post #47 of 64

Here is mine: It's a take off of Earlene's that I have tweaked to get what I like:

1 (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
3 cups Sweetex (hi-ratio)
3-4 TBS, flavoring (Ms. Sandra's Wedding Bouquet or Magic Line's Butter Vanilla)
2 tsp. popcorn salt, whisked with 5 lbs. Powdered Sugar
6-8 ounces whipping cream

Cream together the cream cheese and Sweetex with the paddle until fluffy. Add flavoring, beat until combined. Add half of the powdered sugar and half the cream on stir speed until combined. Add the remaining PS and cream. When combined, turn up to 3 or 4 and let her go for about 5 minutes. Crusts beautifully and pipes well. The ratio of fats/sugars to the cream cheese and whipping cream act as a preservative per baking911.

skyy815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyy815 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 12:26pm
post #48 of 64

thank you! Ive been using the wilton BC and its driving me crazy! Its so pocked with air bubbles its rediculous!! One question, does the corn syrup make the icing smoother? Is that why its used? Thanks so much again!!

BatterBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterBabe Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 1:45pm
post #49 of 64

This is a great thread!!

JustCupcakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustCupcakes13 Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:39pm
post #50 of 64

My buttercream icing recipe is:

130g Unsalted Butter

300g Icing sugar

1. cream the butter

2. add the sugar spoon by spoon, then when it is all mixed add any color of flavor you want!

Minanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minanz Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 4:24am
post #51 of 64

I've gone through this thread and noticed there aren't many recipes that don't have shortening.  Do you have to use shortening for butter cream, can you use butter instead?  I just want butter cream to cover my cake before covering in fondant.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 4:34am
post #52 of 64

A

Original message sent by Minanz

I've gone through this thread and noticed there aren't many recipes that don't have shortening.  Do you have to use shortening for butter cream, can you use butter instead?  I just want butter cream to cover my cake before covering in fondant.

I use an all butter butter cream, it's called Swiss Meringue. Lots of different recipes out there, just google around. From Scratch SF is a good one.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:30pm
post #53 of 64

I just use the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born. All butter.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 4:55pm
post #54 of 64

Oh, and hand-mixed, with an ordinary dinner fork; not whipped. I grew up with dense, hand-mixed frosting, and I like my frosting dense.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:22am
post #55 of 64

I haven't been on this site in some time. I've read through this thread, and planning to try some of these recipes for my daughter's baby shower cake. Thank you all so much for sharing your recipes.

lysstylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lysstylist Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:44am
post #56 of 64

AWhat does "T" stand for?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:40am
post #57 of 64

........What does "T" stand for?..........

A capital T means Tablespoon

a small t means teaspoon.

jhidalgo02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhidalgo02 Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 6:35am
post #58 of 64

AHelp!! I made Wilton buttercream recipe and customer said it melted on way home dripping when it was only 58 degrees outside why did it do that and what's best buttercream recipe? Also I see some people use egg whites in theirs is it better

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 7:36am
post #59 of 64

AThey left the cake in the car in the sun.

Novie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Novie Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm
post #60 of 64

AHi everyone, i just want to ask if i can use vegetable shortening in buttercream icing?im worried because the vegetable shortening is kinda yellow color im afraid mybe the buttercream will become yellow and not white..waiting for your rply guys..thank you..:smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%