Sugar Beer Bottles

Decorating By baka4lyfe20 Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 4:23pm by SweetResults

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 11

Hi!
After looking at Colette Peter's book Colette's Cakes I've decided that I want to make her popcorn bowl cake for the superbowl. After looking through it today a lightbulb blinked. I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could put some of those sugar beer bottles around the board?"

Does anyone have the instructions for making these? I heard that there's a tutuorial out there, but I can't find it.

Can someone help??

TYIA

10 replies
sujeeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sujeeart Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 11
Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 11

Ya, thanks guys. I just found it and then saw somebody replied.

baka4lyfe20 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 11

O, and where do you get the cork they are talking about? It's like the ones for wine, right?

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #6 of 11

funny you ask!! i was just thinking that today on the way home from work. as i was re-reading the entire post again...for the 20th time. I was able to find the latex in michaels.
ok going back to the cork, i hope someone can answer. i would like to know if it can be purchased somewhere.

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 11

OK-
I've been trying to perfect the bottles for the past two nights. I ended up using that molding putty-I am making miniature bottles. I think I was too impatient for my latex mold to dry correctly. I will have to attempt that again. My sugar browns/burns fast, and I have to work pretty quickly to pour in and make sure it covers/rotate the mold to ensure total inside coverage. they come out ok, I think once the label is on it will look a lot more realistic.

Questions:
1. What do you use to affix the paper label to the bottles?
2. What is the best/easiest clean-up method to remove the hardended sugar on tools, measuring cup?
3. Is there a trick to get more of a clearer color, less crystallizing, transparent look? Add coloring and don't microwave for so long?

baka4lyfe20 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #8 of 11

Anyone have an answer??

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:11am
post #9 of 11

When I made my bottles I bought corks from the craft store- just make sure you get the right size- I got ones that were way too small. Wine bottle corks actually worked the best (that is what I ended up using). I found that the store brand of corn syrup took longer to turn brown so I used that to make the ice. still cooked it the same amount of time, but it didn't get as dark. Cooked it 1 min longer than the Karo syrup and it turned a really nice dark color for the beer bottles I wanted. I used corn syrup to attach the labels. Hope this helped.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:12am
post #10 of 11

Sorry- I forgot one of your questions. I filled my sink w/ very hot water and let everything soak in there and then it came out very easily.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 11

icon_redface.gif Come to my house - I have a million corks! My cousin makes those wreaths out of corks so I save all of mine when we have wine.

If you can't make it over here (LOL!) I suggest you buy yourself a nice bottle of wine to enjoy while waiting for your mold to dry - icon_lol.gif

How long you cook it determines the color of the bottles, but if it is not cooked long enough it won't quite harden enough and may droop. I wish I could be more exact icon_confused.gif You could also add coloring into the corn syrup before cooking (like green) .

Cleanup just seems to be a PIA no matter what. I did find that if I put it back into the micro and cooked the bowl/cup again with the leftover sugar in it and burned it a bit it cleaned up easier - go figure!

What a great idea to have the bottles with the popcorn! I used edible images and applied with corn syup, but I bet a thin coat of water on the bottle, let it sit for a few seconds to dry a bit but while it is still sticky you could put the paper ones on.

Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%