Handwriting On Cakes - How Do You.....

Decorating By mdelmauro Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 12:49am by mdelmauro

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 10

Have problem keeping handwritten messages from going either uphill or downhill. What I usually do is frost the cake, wait awhile for the frosting to crust a little and then make a straight line with a thin plastic ruler (used for cakes only) to make lines to write on. Does anyone have a better or easier way to to this. Did a quick check through forums/articles and found printing words from computer (then reversed) tracing with gel and then flipping this onto the cake. Anyone have any other suggestions on doing this. Frosting used is buttercream. Ruler method works but was wondering what you all do???? Thanks for any help/suggestions you CC'rs are all great.

9 replies
traceysob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceysob Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 10

I cheat and use the press letters from Wilton for mine. I can put them down and then if I decide they're crooked I can resmooth the area and try again.

SweetieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 10

I use letter presses. They have a few different styles by Wilton. It seemsto work ok for me. Although, I haven't been able to find a number press set.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 10

Well there is many methods you could try.

laser level as guide for writing straight

the overhead projector (I forgot the name of the one for cakes...is the the kopykake brand?)

piping gel

letter press

pinprick: print of a font you like from the computer, poke little holes in it and press onto your cake, follow lines. Works well, but hard to see, also you have to be careful or you could dent your icing with the paper...see my spartan cake in photos, writing is good, but i dented...) I also did this method for the chocolate birthday cake and tractor cake.

My favorite method is the royal icing letters. Print out font and trace over it on top of parchement (you can use wax, but in my experience they get stuck and break) make a couple of extra because they are very fragile. Then place on your cake when dry...about 24 hours. See my peach petunias, pansy cake, winnie the pooh cake blue cake with daisies, firetruck cake, anniversary cake as examples.

mdelmauro Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks all, I will try your suggestions and look at your examples. Thanks again for your help.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 10

these are great sugg. I love the idea of the lazer level. I usually just go for it and wing it!!

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 10

Laser level all the way!! I balance it on a bowl or any study object off to the side and beam that red line straight across the cake... it works like a charm every time!!! Now if I could just make my handwriting pretty!! icon_cry.gif

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 10

Love the laser level idea!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 10

Here's a tip from my pal fytar,

Print out your wording in your choice of font using mirror for reverse printing. Use RI to trace over the words, let dry and then just flip over and imprint your icing; proceed with your choice of coloring.

Yeah...fytar icon_smile.gif

mdelmauro Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:49am
post #10 of 10

Thanks all, I think DH may have a lazer level he hasn't used, I'm going to borrow it and give it a try. My handwriting isn't bad just not straight, so I don't mind doing my own writing. You CC'rs have so many great and helpful ideas. Will give the RI on reverse image a try also. Again thanks so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%