Poll

Business By AKS Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 6:09am by traci

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 8

What do YOU do when a customer requests a character cake? OK-it's happened to most professional cecorators (my daughter's term coined when she was three: cake + decorator-it's now in my family's lexicon). We all know what we SHOULD say and yet, a lot of people sell these anyway. Do you turn the business away? You can't use figurines or representations. What do you do? Thanks for the input. Not professional yet, but toying with the idea of b'day cakes as a business.

-Alysa icon_confused.gif

7 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 8

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to step up and reply to this one! I have done a few character cakes but personally, I find them a little boring! If you are concerned about the legalities.......I like to say that I am selling the box and the cake is free! icon_lol.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 1:41am
post #3 of 8

mrs. missy.....you rock!!!!!!
i must say, i do sell the character cakes....i've only had a handful of request. i just sell them to friends......
melody

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 2:10am
post #4 of 8

I guess you could say i also sell character cakes to friends and family thy always give me around 20.00 each i like doing the character cakes because everyone likes the way thy look when there done...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 2:17am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

mrs. missy.....you rock!!!!!!
i must say, i do sell the character cakes....i've only had a handful of request. i just sell them to friends......
melody

Thanks!.......lol...I think! icon_biggrin.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 8

thumbs_up.gif That's the best line I've heard. Still laughing...

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 8

I'd just not bother with it, and suggest something else if possible. But if they insist, you might be able to ask for "donations only", and they could just "reimburse" you for the ingredients. You might not make as much that way, though. I think the issue is when you're selling the likeness of a licensed character. It makes sense to me, (if it were MY character being used) but it sure is a pain, huh.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 6:09am
post #8 of 8

Speaking of chacter cakes...I just finished one for a customer! It was a real pain!!!! The customer emailed me a picture of a Spiderman cake(the old version) stacked on top of a sheet cake made to look like buildings. She wanted me to duplicate the cake. My hands are hurting and it is late!!!! Anyway, if possible, I like to try and suggest something different...but sometimes that is just what they want...and I will usually do it! icon_smile.gif
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%