So, How Do You Solicit Business From Businesses?

Business By berryblondeboys Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 2:54pm by aggiedecorator

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:39am
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to gear up here for my "launch", but I don't want to be just giving out freebies to my neighbors. I want to go to little shops and food vendors with my products and card, but how do you go about that? Is there literature for me to read? Articles? Websites? I'm really wanting to push the cookies (decorated cookies) especially.

Melissa

7 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 8

giving you a bump

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 8

In order for product re-sale, your items have to be packaged and labeled according to your state's re-sale laws. Most likely, the Dept of agriculture. labels usually need ingredients and 'pull dates'. You will also have to bake in a licensed kitchen.

Some inspectors can be very helpful, some, not so much.

Once you are legal, you can take your samples, a price list and/or business card to stores most likely to order your product.

ChrisfromNOLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisfromNOLA Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:30am
post #4 of 8

I'm in the middle of getting my product labels approved, call your local dept. of health for labeling requirements. In my case they 1st needed to inspect my kitchen so they can issue me a permit, then register each product and label I intend to sell and your label needs to have specific info like 1. statement of identity 2. designation of ingredients 3. name and place of business and manufactuer, 4. net quantity. Also, they want all this info in a certain type size depending on how many square inches your label your label is. There are so many headaches to doing something so simple as selling cookies, but it it is worth it to be able to wake up everyday and do something you love. icon_smile.gif As far as getting business from business, I would go to a few reception halls with your cookies and a brochure and ask them to pass them along to brides and others who may want favors for their special occasion.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 8

in my state they don't require labels....

YAY!

the week i opened i took 1/2 sheet cakes to all the schools....just went up to the desk and asked where the teachers lunch room was...i decorated them in school colors and left a price sheet that i made at kinkos.

i gave away quite a few cakes.....but now 5 years later, i'm having so much business i have to turn it away sometimes.

when i had my art business years ago, i learned that teachers really rock when it comes to word of mouth....it worked for me in this too.

and hey everyone loves free food!

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

YAY!

the week i opened i took 1/2 sheet cakes to all the schools....just went up to the desk and asked where the teachers lunch room was...i decorated them in school colors and left a price sheet that i made at kinkos.

i gave away quite a few cakes.....but now 5 years later, i'm having so much business i have to turn it away sometimes.

when i had my art business years ago, i learned that teachers really rock when it comes to word of mouth....it worked for me in this too.

and hey everyone loves free food!

Yes, I'm a teacher and I agree. Teachers love free food. I spent the entire weekend last weekend making and decorating cookies (in my pics) and not only did I put out samples, I left individually wrapped cookies and candy for sale. I also left a locked box with a slot in the top for payment (my DH made this) and a sign that said who to make checks out to. This weekend I am doing the same for another school in my district. Guess I'd better update my flyer right now!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

[quote="aggiedecorator"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Yes, I'm a teacher and I agree. Teachers love free food. I spent the entire weekend last weekend making and decorating cookies (in my pics) and not only did I put out samples, I left individually wrapped cookies and candy for sale. I also left a locked box with a slot in the top for payment (my DH made this) and a sign that said who to make checks out to. This weekend I am doing the same for another school in my district. Guess I'd better update my flyer right now!

do you find people are honest with this method - do they actually leave payment when taking a cookie? I've thought about doing this but was afraid they'd just ignore the box and think free food!

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 8

They were honest at my school. I actually ended up with a little more money than I should have icon_biggrin.gif I even left them over night which some people were telling me not to do. I work at a great school, in a great district, in a great town. This is one of the friendliest places I've ever been in-the Aggie Spirit keeps honesty alive in most of us.

I asked myself, if one or two people don't pay for a cookie, how much did that cost me? For you I'd say, just go pick up the money and cookies after school, after the kids have gone and teachers have had time to walk by that table one last time. Teachers will snack all day icon_lol.gif
I'd love to hear how you do if you decide to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%