How Did You Lose Weight?

Lounge By AngiesIdea Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm by lilthorner

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:44am
post #1 of 23

Girls and Guys,

I looking for a weight loss regimen that won't cost me a fortune in pre-packaged dinners and personal trainers. I very serious about losing about 40 pounds. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks a mill
Angie!

22 replies
emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:27am
post #2 of 23

i'm doing it the old fashioned way..... figure out how many calories you need per day, eat less than that and exercise. i used my elliptical machine.... nothing fancy....just a basic model that hubby and i found at walmart, dusty on the shelf... with no price tag.... customer service person scanned it and it was only $25! sweet! i don't buy into any of those "diets", because they're only temporary and they cost a fortune. just eat less and get movin'! works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif best wishes to you!

~erica

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 23

I learned allot through Weight Watchers. I doesn't have to cost a fortune. You can eat your own food, although the frozen meals are inexpensive and delicious! They are the "smart ones" in the red box at Wal-mart. I went to the meetings for about 12 weeks and decided I didn't want to pay every week for someone to weigh me so I quit going and am doing it on my own. So I have the program down and know what to do. Also, I work out almost every day for about an hour. I've lost about 23 lbs. so far, 25 to go! Good luck!!!

Anna

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 23

I just joined Weight Watchers online yesterday. I love the points tracker tool. Wish me luck. I've been working out for 2 years now and haven't lost a thing!

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 23

Wow, I do wish you luck! You can expect to lose 3-4 lbs. the first week! It's pretty exciting when you first get started. After the first week you generally lose 1 or 2 lbs. a week. That is if you stick with in your points and stay away from those extra 35 pts. they allow you. Don't give up on your work outs though, that will help you to lose the weight! Keep it up!

Anna

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 23

I just came up with one that worked for me. I lost 40 pounds doing it and I didn't feel like I neglected myself by not being allowed to eat what I want. I ate what I wanted for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I took smaller portions and didn't go back for seconds. I allowed myself one drink a day that wasn't water - it could be whatever - a soda, milkshake, etc. I allowed myself on dessert a day - again, it could be whatever, Weight Watcher dessert, a slice of cake with ice cream, etc. I walked 3 miles 5 days a week. I also prayed every day that the Lord help me fight off the devil in his tempting food and then at night I thanked the Lord for helping me fight off the temptations. I started the end of March and had it off by the end of September.

One other thing I did was to step on the scales every morning. I had read an article one time that was talking about people who did this tended to keep the weight off because they would see if they gained a pound or two and step back and watch what they ate.

Unfortunately, I have gained 10 pounds back over the past two years and can't seem to get it off but am still trying.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:34am
post #7 of 23

I once lost 20 lbs in a month by doing a 45 minute Tae Bo cardio workout every day. I got the DVD for about $20 at Walmart. It takes dedication, but if you're determined, it's a great workout and you see results FAST.
Good luck!!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #8 of 23

I lost 128 lbs. on Weight Watchers. It's a very nutritional diet.

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #9 of 23

I have a friend that joined wt watcher about 10 wks ago and has lost 20 lbs, she looks so good. I'm thinking about trying.

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:17am
post #10 of 23

I lost 70 on WW years ago when they first came out with the points program. It was before I had my kids. Recently I have lost 40 on medifast.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #11 of 23

one word KIMKINS!

see kimkins.com

I started this plan and lost 35lbs the first month it is amazing. Sady, I have to admit I have been eating too much cake and too many snicker bars which is a big no no on that plan and have gained some back.

this forum has more info on the kimkins plan but the kimkins site has it own community forum for which requires a membership fee for lifetime access.

[url]locarbfriends.com[/url] click on the link to the board.

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:38am
post #12 of 23

Thanks to all for the replies and I plan to take a look at WW, Kimkins and definetly GOD. icon_wink.gif I started the year of well losing about 9 lbs but somehow got sidetracked and gained it all back and then some. icon_mad.gif I know that I can do it with dedication and self control (severly lacking)! So wish me luck and I will update when I get things going-needs to be very soon, haha!

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 23

I join a website call sparkspeople.com and they are great. Its free to join and it is a great help. You track calories that you eat and what you burn even doing everyday chores like mopping and even shopping. I lost over 50 pounds doing it. I do need to get back on it. They have great recipes and you dont have to buy diet food or even change what you make to eat. Check them out.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 23

two words: master cleanse. Do 10 days at a time and come off of it the way they say and watch what you eat after. Take 2-3 weeks off in between... it is a very fast and effective method. I keep off about 5# for every 10 day cycle. To keep it off you have to change the way you ate before that made you gain weight in the first place, but thats a given.

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 23

I've looked into kimkins too. It seems simple enough to do but I just couldnt get myself into doing it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 23

have you tried it? For the first couple of days you miss chewing but once you break the "habit" of eating its really easy. My FI and I have done it several times and adapted it to fit us... we either take the cayenne in a shot of water before the lemonade now w/o it, or in capsule form, or not at all. You can also add a little crystal light powder to it to create varying tastes. If you are doing it as a cleanse, you should follow the instructions... but if you are doing it for weight loss it will def still work with a few alterations.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #17 of 23

I have lost 25 lbs in 3 months by cutting out sugar, white breads, pastas, fried foods, and potatoes. I eat whole grain breads, pastas, etc.. It has worked wonders. I also eat 6 times a day. The more often you eat the more your metabolism raises. Now I still go eat at fast food every once in a while, but I only eat a plain cheeseburger, no bun and no fries. They always look at me funny when I tear apart my cheeseburger to remove the bun. My kids always want my leftover bun because it's almost like grilled cheese to them. icon_lol.gif Also I can't believe how good l I feel after cutting out all of the bad carbs and sugar. Something compatable to this is The South Beach Diet. Atkins is too high in fat so I really don't recommend it even though you would lose weight. The south beach diet is almost like atkins, but it is a reduced calorie diet even though they don't come out right and tell you that. Just remember healthy weight loss is 1-3 lbs per week. Anything more than that you are more likely to gain it all back. Good luck!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 23

I tried the Atkins diet a few years ago. After a week I felt great-was sleeping better, had more energy, less cravings. But my assistant brought doughnuts in on Fat Tuesday (they call it fastnaught or something like that here in PA) and I thought to myself "I'll just have a bite". I had a bite and threw it away. Then I ate three more, and went ona carb freak-out, andthat was the end of Atkins for me.

I just weighed myself, and is it possible that I have lost 6# since Moday? My scale must be broken. I certainly don't feel like I've lost anything.

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #19 of 23

Congrats to all of you who have lost weight-

I am using my own version of Extreme Fat Smash- adjusting to my own eating habits- losing about 1-2 lbs/ wk.
I packed on a little extra poundage about 9 yrs ago... (40lbs) and slowly started losing right after I became pregnant with my daughter , who's 2. It was really slow, so I started doing Fat Smash and in 3 months have lost another 15 pounds. I have a little left to go, but this plan allows snacks, so I never feel deprived. I am allowed bread, no pasta or white potatos, but decided I was addicted so gave that up... instead for grains I eat brown rice, cereal, stuff like that. The idea is to eat every 2-3 hrs to regulate blood sugar. I never feel like eating down the house anymore.

Short story Long... it is the only plan I have been able to really stick to- I walk for exercise.

Good luck to you all! thumbs_up.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:08am
post #20 of 23

The only thing that has ever worked for me is counting calories. A pound of body fat is 3500 cals.
Eat 1500 cals a day, no matter what food you choose, in 3 days you loose a pound. 1500 leaves you with alot of food options. Food thats better for you has less cals so you tend to eat more of it but you have the option of eating whatever you want.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:51pm
post #21 of 23

Be patient, you did not put on a lot of weight in just a few months, so taking it of slowly is healthier than speed dieting. I try not to eat anything white, fried, or sauces. Lost 30 lbs in about 4 months. You also need to get away from all sodas. I also try to do 50 crunches morning and night to tighen up stomach muscles as I loose weight. Good Luck

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #22 of 23

A few years back I went from 160 to 125 lbs (not very thin--I'm 5'5'', but my comfortable weight) by drinking lots of water, counting calories, eating lots of fruits and veggies. I also found it easy to stay w/in my calorie "budget" by having a frozen Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones/Healthy Choice dinner for lunch (I was a teacher and this was an easy lunch to take.) Since I've had my baby (13 months ago) I'm at around 138-140 lbs. and BOY! is it MUCH harder this time to get the pounds off! I stay at home and find myself snacking WAY too much. Plus I just cannot find the time to work out. Oh well, keep plugging away. Good luck all with the weight loss.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #23 of 23

i have been on kimkins since march of this year, I have lost 45 pounds.. it is similar to atkins as it is lo card but different int hat it is lean protein.. when I tried atkins i didn't lose weight ( i was eating a BUNCH of steak and other stuff that really just doesnt work for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%