So, How Many Spouses/significant Others Are Supportive?

Business By berryblondeboys Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 3:46am by emi

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 58

of starting a business. My husband is being a pill. He loves the stuff I do, but he is so negative about all the costs and inconveniences to start up. Basically, he wants the income without the investment. is that just typical male behavior?

he would love for us not to put our little guy in day care, but he's not helping me with trying to avoid it either! Grrr.... Oh well, at least he's letting me try, right?

Melissa

57 replies
AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 58

Tough situation, My husband is very supportive but I don't think I could do something like that at this point inmy life with two small boys and a one income family. I wish you all the luck though, that is wonderful and I hope to someday get into business, for now it will be just a hobby!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 58

S/O and I work as a team. I couldnt do it any other way.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 58

He is being so supportive and helpful. He knows how bad I want this and is trying to help me find a way to make it happen.

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 58

My DH is just the opposite of yours. He's telling me I need to practice more because one day we're going into business together.

His dream is to own his own cyber cafe/coffee shop. He will do the computer end of things (he's a network admin/web designer) and I would do the pastries and cakes.

hehe we're a long way from that I think!!

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 58

my DH is very supportive. I do this for fun now not as a business but he loves it. icon_smile.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 58

mine wants me to sell my cakes (but I am too scared too and not ready).......maybe in the future but just to family and friends (since I am not legal...and I dont think can be legal in MO--but I havent done any research...only heard that).....

Anyway I get tons of support...thank goodness but its just a hobby!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 58

Well, I would not be able to do it if I had to do it in a commercial kitchen. DH is supportive of me doing it, but leary or taxes and all the beaurocratic hoopla. Of course, we both want it to be legal as it will help build the business, but while he "says" let's try it and I know he would help with watching the kids in the evenings and so on (and doing any artistic thing I need as I can't), he would be happier if I would just go back to the real world and earn a 'safe and steady' income like I did before.

Who knows... how this will go. I'm thinking I can find a niche, but is there one? I guess I'll find out!

Melissa

P.S. remember I'm in VA where a home kitchen can be licensed to become legal.

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 58

My husband is a little of both. He thinks that I can do anything and raves about all my work. He says that I could make a great business, but I do it out of my home and in my state I think that is a NO, NO!! But on the other hand he doesn't understand why I don't charge more than the cost of supplies(including pan and the like) on new things that I am asked to do...doesn't understand the need for PRACTICE!! And he would NEVER help, but he does deliver and help with cutting boards and things. All in all, he is supportive!!

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 58

As I'm just beginning to make this a 'real' hobby/future business venture, DH is not supportive of all of the $$$ going out the door on supplies and such. But when I do finish a cake, he can't hide his pride - he loves final products, especially when I make something for him to take to the fire station to share with the guys. I think he'll come around when $$$ starts to come in, not only go out (one day, I hope!!!)

My mother is the all-around supportive one. She is always finding orders for me at work, with her friends, etc. She has always had an entrepreneurial spirit (quilting, not cakes), and was suppressed by my father's disapproval for years. Now that he's no longer with us, she has gone full bore into making her dream a reality and I think it's fantastic!

MARCIAL66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARCIAL66 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 58

My DH got me a brand new KA mixer while I was having my firstclass, since this cakes hobbie is becoming to big now ( I have a full time job with a very good position that I love ) he wants me to concentrate only in my cakes...we are planning to open up a small pastry shop icon_biggrin.gif next year

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 58

I don't have that to worry about anymore, but when I was married, I have to say he was supportive... I did get questioned a lot about cost of things, but I purchased everything with my own money and not his!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 58

My DH is a jewel... he even pretends to care what they look like when I show them to him. The other night (I think he wanted *something* because) he even acted interested when I told him I had an idea for a cake. He said, "Tell me about it." *Looking around for hidden camera*

He is a realist though and always finds the possible problems in a scenario. Not to be negative, but to give me the 'what if' and make sure I've thought it through. By biggest push toward opening a formal bakery is from my Mother's best friend. He will not leave it alone. Every time I bring something in to sample he is on my fanny about it!!

Hubby is my delivery guy sometimes, and my babysitter when I am doing something that CAN'T have baby's influence. But I couldn't see him with a piping bag in his hand. That's just hilarious!! He is writing management software for me though, so that's his 'contribution'!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I don't have that to worry about anymore, but when I was married, I have to say he was supportive... I did get questioned a lot about cost of things, but I purchased everything with my own money and not his!

Hee hee....me too....... Don't have to worry about THAT anymore! My husband was supportive enough as long as he was involved in every single step of the process...meaning he wanted us to do it together the whole way, his name on the business cards, his input, him at every class, him a major part of making every single decision....so basically, me wanting to do it on my own was not happening!

His idea of 'helping' out was to tell the kids to watch T.V while I was decorating cakes, while he was out in the garage playing around, etc....
Of course the kids stayed out of my way until the second he disappeared. It was ridiculous.

Now he takes the kids 2 evenings a week and every other weekend so I have all the time I want to decorate. Believe it or not, the ordering of the business cards was the straw that broke the camels back and several days after, he left.

Granted, my situation had to have been really hideous or it wouldn't have made a difference but he was never, ever sopportive of anything I did ( making money wise) unless he was involved in the whole thing. It really drove me crazy.

I sell vintage clothing, etc. on eBay and I used to have these incredible weeks - once I made $1100 in one week!! You would think he would be thrilled since I made enough to pay for our skiing vacation but no...he dismissed it as a "fluke".

LOL! So I guess this sob story icon_smile.gif is that it could be worse... but it sure is hard to do this if it will add stress to the marriage.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 58

CakeDiva... that is the beauty of the little prefix "ex" in front of "husband". Good for you woman! You are better off!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 58

My husband has always been supportive of me in any my mis-adventures (Mary Kay, golf tournament event planner). Now that he wants to start a photography business, we can help each other! The best of both worlds. I'm fortunate because my ex-husband was nothing if detrimental towards any venture I might have an interest in.
Leslie

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 58

My DH has been very supportive. He looked into my starting a bakery here but it was me that stopped him. I think/believe that I am too old to start a new time conusmming adventure. I want to be free to go and visit my grand children. I am raising one now. And to go to different class. If I opened my own shop I would not have the time. SO I just do this out of the house. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygurlvb

His dream is to own his own cyber cafe/coffee shop. He will do the computer end of things (he's a network admin/web designer) and I would do the pastries and cakes.

funny my DH does the same thing for a living...and I've already informed him I need some spread sheets, an accounting program, etc. He says ok.......He's pretty good about the whole cake thing...doesn't understand my "obsession" with it...but he doesn't ever complain how much I'm spending on it either. Everytime I talk about starting a business with it in the future......he says " Go for it honey, then maybe I can quit my job"....so I take that as supportive. We'll see when we're taking out a home equity loan to start it up LOL

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:34am
post #19 of 58

my hubby has been WONDERFUL and so supportive when i have a cake to do. he's great at helping with our girls (3 1/2 and 15 months) (aka, keeping them out of the kitchen) and he even keeps me company while i decorate after the girls are in bed. he gets a little nervous about delivering though. probably because he put his finger in the side of a cake once, but that was before i knew about cake boxes! LOL fortunately the cake was for my sister's bridal shower and it was an easy fix. in the hubby arena, i have been blessed! TRULY TRULY BLESSED!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:38am
post #20 of 58

My DH today is supportive! Key word TODAY! He flip flops on this supporting my wife thing like a fish out of water, usually it's when his business is stressing him out though! I love him but he can be such a pain in the butt......However, he does tell people about me and try getting me contacts so I can start a business of my own so he's good at also making me smile, just not driving me up a wall!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:12am
post #21 of 58

This thread is so cute!

DH is supportive of my cake hobby and keeps saying that I could/should spend the time to get good enough to support the both of us on cakes and cookies alone! (Right now this is a TOTAL joke! LOL).

"As soon as you can get $1500 per cake we can quit our jobs!" LOL.

Mostly though, he rolls his eyes at my fanatical CC-ing, but will always look up when I say "you have to see this cake that so-and-so did!" (yes, I'm talking about all YOUR cakes here!).

He tried to decorate some cookies with me last week, it was sweet, but ummm... a lot of first graders could have been more helpful in actually getting them done and looking good! He tried though, gotta give him credit!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:34am
post #22 of 58

Is my husband living a double life?????

Mine also claims to be supportive of me doing cakes, but doesn't lift a finger if I need help or be supportive if I need someone to watch DD for some extra time. Today he surprised the icon_eek.gif out of me and we talked what to order from one of my distributors because the shipping was going to be another tub of whatever it was I was planning to order, THEN, let me put it on his CC thumbs_up.gif -- Of course, I felt like saying "Who are you and what did you do with my husband", but I figured I'd best tapedshut.gif ..

I don't so much mind things with my husband it's my in-laws who annoy me with the being supportive and raving about my cakes in front of me, but then when it comes time to actually put out the cashola and order from me, they go to Sam's or a local bakery that has a BITTER frosting..

DivineDelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivineDelectables Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 58

My husband is very supportive. A little too supportive at times. He keeps me with oders just this month alone he has made 9 cakes order which is wonderful except that I am a self-taught newbie, so every cake is a crisis. He sees something in me that I don't, because every cake I have done turned out lovely, I want to cry when i have to leave them. He always says "Now don't get upset when they treat your masterpiece like a doughnut."

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:05pm
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineDelectables

every cake is a crisis. He sees something in me that I don't, because every cake I have done turned out lovely,"

My GF is just as patient with my panic everytime I have a cake to do. She's the one who makes the last second run to Winn-Dixie for yet another bag of 10x sugar, and who drives ever so carefully (for a change) when we're delivering some "masterpiece". She also has encouraged me to pursue this in any way I want- as a hobby, a business, or a career with a bakery. And she doesn't even eat cake!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:16pm
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

of starting a business. My husband is being a pill. He loves the stuff I do, but he is so negative about all the costs and inconveniences to start up. Basically, he wants the income without the investment. is that just typical male behavior?

he would love for us not to put our little guy in day care, but he's not helping me with trying to avoid it either! Grrr.... Oh well, at least he's letting me try, right?

Melissa

I am having the problem. My husband gets so excited about me "getting ripped off" that I hate asking him for advice. I have fibbed a couple of times regarding how much I asked for. I know that in order to get your name out there you must 1st get clients! That is what this forum is about...in the end you must try to make it work.

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:16pm
post #26 of 58

My DH is very supportive. I think it is because he eats the scraps and loves to dip his spoon into the leftover bc in the fridge! No, seriously, he cleans the kitchen after I'm finished and even cleans the tips!!! Hands off ladies, he's all mine icon_lol.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:19pm
post #27 of 58

Pictures please! icon_biggrin.gif

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:21pm
post #28 of 58

Oops, wrong post to reply to! I was also doing cookies posts and thought you were asking for pics of cookies. I'd better stop multi-tasking!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #29 of 58

aggiedecorator............OMG!! He cleans up your mess! What have you done to this man! Expiring minds want to know!
I've been sick for two days and the dirty dishes are still in the sink! No magic man lives here!!
Shame on you for such bragging!
P.S. What's your address? When are you gone and he's home? (Just kidding!!)

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 8:23pm
post #30 of 58

My poor boyfriend . . . he always teases me about the tons of rubber storage boxes in the garage filled to the brim with all of my hobbies. I think he's just grateful that cakes and cookies seems to be the hobby that has finally stolen my heart. I'm pretty honest with him about what I spend on supplies and such . . . and if he complains, I can remind him about what he spends on his electronics for the car and house! icon_smile.gif My parents are pushing for me to go to culinary arts school so they can retire and open a family bakery--how did I get this lucky???? My poor dad has it all figured out . . . mom would be the one with the business sense who would keep the doors open, dad would be the goofy old guy behind the counter . . . and I'd get to decorate to my hearts content. We are lightyears away from that, but its a nice dream . . . . *sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%