Instructions For A Book Cake

Decorating By Eren Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 9:33pm by justsweet

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #1 of 20

Hello all, I'm going to make a book cake, probably covered in fondant, and I was wondering if you new of a website or book that has instructions for it. I remember on Food Network one of the decorators made a stack and they showed most of the instructions, but I didn't save the episode.

Help? Tips?

19 replies
Eren Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #2 of 20

And I should have been more clear. The book I need has to be closed, not the open one like the Wilton pan.

Eren Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:57am
post #3 of 20

This is the cake from the show I was talking about.

Mine doesn't need to be this fancy, but I can't remember how she did the covers and the binding.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 20

Sorry I cant help you but Jeeze that is one georgeous cake it looks sooooo real. Good luck with it and I cant wait to see your finished cake.

Eren Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:13am
post #5 of 20

Well, I won't be able to make it if I can't find instructions icon_smile.gif

I only need to make one book, help!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #6 of 20

I am pming you the instructions that melysa sent me. I did a bible cake this weekend with her help!

Good Luck!

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 20

i have tried it and it didnt turn out too well but the birthday boy loved it. i would love to have the instructions too. cwcopeland if you can PM me i would be grateful.

darcat Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 20

I would also like to know how and you will probably get a lot of requests so I was wondering if you could pls do a tutorial and post it so that we can try it if you dont mind that is. It would be very much appreciated.

Eren Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 20

Well, the reason I added this topic is because I was hoping a CC member would have a tutorial icon_biggrin.gif
I got the PM'd instructions, I guess I can add them here and try to take pictures when I make my cake... But it's probably going to be ugly...

Eren Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 20

Here are the instructions from melysa (I hope she doesn't mind)

you'll need to start with a rectangle cake. i use a square and trim off one side to make a rectangle. level. place on cake board-glued down with a smear of icing. torte and fill, then crumbcoat and smooth. roll out white fondant for the pages. i measure 3 sides and cut each rectangle out. brush a little water on the back of the fondant and place each piece in place. pinch the 2 corners together to make a squared edge look of the pages. immediatly take a pizza roller or sharp smooth knife and mark the pages. if you wish, you could make a small slit in the bottom part of the page and put in a real piece of satin ribbon. roll out a larger piece of brown or chocolate fondant enough to cover the top and binding side. rough cut the shape after you've measured. place on top. smooth with a fondant smoother or your hands if you dont have one. use clean scissors to trim the cover leaving maybe a quarter of an inch overhang. use a pizza roller or sharp knife to trim the base. roll out a long strip of brown fondant long enough to wrap around the base of the page sides. this will appear to be the bottom cover. pinch the edges to square them up. dont forget to "glue these down with water as well. cut a few strips for the binding edge and paint them with gold or copper or bronze Luster Dust and alcohol or extract using a fine tipped brush. using the same paint, paint on the binding and or the cover, HOLY BIBLE. i leave it at that simply because im not good at keeping the writing neat if there is too much. dry dust the pages with bronze. if you want a new look , do it with dust and alcohol. if you want a suede leather look, dust the cover with cocoa powder before you do the Luster Dust painting. use a large brush or sprinkle it on and just use your clean fingers to kind of "rub " it in.

darcat Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 20

Thank you very very much Eren and Melysa for the tutorial. I dont know when I'll make one as I dont have any occasions coming up lol but it's going into my file for future reference. It's a great cake for sooooo many different occasions and seems pretty easy to do as well as the option of so many different size books.

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 20

Thank you so much for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:17am
post #13 of 20

Thanks Eren and Melysa for the instruction i think that is what i will make for my neices' baby shower coming up next weekend. i will surely post a picture.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:33am
post #14 of 20

Thank you so much for sharing, I want to make a couple of there for a combined 40 and 50 b-day party this week-end.
This will really make my life much easier.

Thanks a bunch.

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #15 of 20

I can't wait to make one. Thank you for sharing.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 20

What a great thread! Thanks for the info! icon_biggrin.gif

SushiMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SushiMama Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 20

save.

Eren Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #18 of 20

Here is my cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1022633

I winged it, but I did take pictures of the whole process for a possible tutorial.

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 8:00pm
post #19 of 20

thanks for the instructions

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:33pm
post #20 of 20

You did a great job on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%