Wooden Vs. Plastic Vs. Straw Dowels

Decorating By tptmom Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 5:03pm by HollieN

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:42pm
post #31 of 40

I onlu use straws to support a heavy cake topper. or to hold a small teir such as a single layer.

I prefer the plastic dowels wilton makes since they are larger and hollow they are less likely to mome than wood dowels the only mishaps I have had was when using wood dowels... if I use the plastic ones I will even transport it stacked within reason( 3 teirs) no way with the wood too easy to shift BUT I use plastic seperator plates NOT cardboard with a long center dowel.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:07am
post #32 of 40

Here's a good place for bubble tea straws:

http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/store/store.php3?item_id=2

And I'm for plastic in one form or the other (the large Wilton ones or the bubble tea straws)

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:09am
post #33 of 40

I didn't mention in my earlier post that you should always wash the wooden dowels after they are cut and sanded icon_redface.gif This will prevent splinters and be sanitary...

catscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:50am
post #34 of 40

I too use the straws. I find they are awesome and really strong! I even told my Wilton instuctor about them. She had never used them before and was doubtful but they work perfectly. I don't like the idea of wood in my cake!

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm
post #35 of 40

msmeg,

How do you use a wooden center dowel with plastic separator plates? Do you drill a hole in the plate?

tptmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tptmom Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:40am
post #36 of 40

I was in the process of ordering Bubble Tea straws online. they ARE onle 1.99, however the shipping fee was $9.98. I called to confirm that was the minimal delivery amount and they said yes since it was shipped out of Hawii. The lady on the phone was very nice and said these strwas are actually available at many party stores. Just FYI icon_smile.gif
Tonya

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:39am
post #37 of 40

i always use wooden dowels...i am leary of plastic straws....

ONEWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ONEWAY Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:08am
post #38 of 40

MY MOM DID CAKE DECORATING YEARS AND YEARS AGO, SHE JUST BOUGHT A BOOK AND WHAT LITTLE SUPPLES SHE NEEDED, SHE DID AN AWESOME JOB, YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW THAT SHE TAUGHT HERSELF, AND IN HER BOOK IT CALLS FOR USE PLASTIC DRINKING STRAW FOR SUPPORT OF YOUR PLATES, ETC. SHE DID A LOT OF WEDDING CAKES IN HER TIME, SHE WAS VERY POOR WITH SIX LITTLE KIDS, SO SHE COULDN'T GO OUT AND BUY ALL THE GREAT STUFF THAT WILTON HAS TO OFFER. I MYSELF LIKE THOSE HOLLOW TUBES THAT YOU CAN CUT TO ANY SIZE, SLIDES ONTO PLATE FOOT, AND YOU CAN USE FOR STACK OR TIER, IF USING CARDBOARD FOR STACK WITH TUBES I WOULD USE A LITTLE ROYAL ICING TO ATTACH, I JUST FINISHED MAKING A CAKE TONIGHT, BIG SQUARE CAKE, BOUGHT ELMO FACE PAN, UNDER ELMO I PUT A ROUND PLASTIC 10" PLATE, MARKED IT AND USED DRINKING STRAWS FOR SUPPORT, STACKED ELMO ON TOP OF SQUARE CAKE, LOOKS LIKE ITS HOLDING UP GREAT. I THINK THAT EACH CAKE REQUIRES WHAT IS BEST FOR THAT CAKE, THIS CAKE STRAWS IS O.K., NEXT CAKE WOOD, AND EVEN THE HOLLOW TUBES YET FOR ANOTHER.
TRY THEM ALL AND SEE WHAT YOU LIKE. LET US KNOW!

ratwings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ratwings Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 2:58pm
post #39 of 40

I've used both dowels and straws. When I was using the small drinking straws I would only use them for two tiered cakes and use dowels for 3 or more. I have a hand saw and miter box, only takes a second to cut them. I always sanded the ends of the dowels then washed them thoroughly before inserting in the cake. If all 3 or 4 dowels are the same length the cake will be level. What I use now are milkshake straws, they're larger, sturdier, and easy to cut with a scissors. I'm sure to use a color that will contrast with the cake so they aren't missed when it's cut. I've used a center dowel once on a 15" tall sculpted raccoon cake, otherwise I just use the milkshake straws and a little buttercream to 'glue' the tiers together  

HollieN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollieN Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 5:00pm
post #40 of 40

If you're using straws, I would not use just regular drinking straws. Those are too small. There are big straws known as Bubble tea straws that are used in those bubble tea with tapioca drinks they sell at the Asian tea house (I'm Asian :)). You can find plenty of them for sale at the Asian supermarkets if you live in a city that has good population of Asian. If not, you can find them available online at Amazon, but then you'll pay more and with shipping vs. getting them locally. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%