Wedding Cake Tables

Decorating By llj68 Updated 14 Jul 2005 , 5:27pm by traci

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 56

I'm doing my first "delivered" wedding cake on 7/30. I've done small weddings before where the cake was picked up from me. However, this is a wedding for 200 people and I'm making and delivering the cake.

My question is this....Is it my responsibility to decorate the table where the cake sits or the florists or someone else's? This is a bit of a "hokey" wedding (I can say that since it's a family member) so I'm not sure what the proper way to go is.

Although I will be paid for the cake--it will also be a great opportunity for advertisement and I want to make sure that everything is as perfect as I can make it.

Thanks,
Lisa

55 replies
eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 56

I usually i decorate the table myself, to me that is part of my presentation and is a reflection on me. I think it enhances the whole presentation. The earrings or shoes have to go with the dress !!!

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 56

I agree, if you want your cake to look it's best then you should be the one decorating. I offer it as part of my services, I have yet to have anyone turn it down! Invest in some tulle and flower swags, etc... you'll be set! thumbs_up.gif

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 56

I had no idea there were cake decorators who did that........and I've been setting up wedding cakes for a lot of years.......I've always been told by the bride how the table is going to be decorated!!!!!!!!!! Had I known this was possible I would have been doing it all along.........

Do you charge for setting up the table?

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 56

I think it just depends on the wedding. Although I have never made a wedding cake, I have been involved in helping several of my friends get married. Some of them decorated the cake table themselves so that it matched with their theme.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 56

It totally depends on the bride ... I've had some ask me to do the decorating of their table and others who totally want to do their own decorations .. it all depends on the bride... I'd suggest you ask her what she wants you to do then go from there icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 56

It depends on the bride, but make sure to have something for a back up! I learned this the hard way. I had a bride that waid she would have that taken care of. She forgot... the table was bare! I had to get some roses from the caterer to put around the table. I will always bring some white fabric to bucnh up, or tulle, ect!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 1:49am
post #8 of 56

Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be making a trip to Joanne's with my 40% coupon for some tulle before the end of the month.

Lisa

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:07am
post #9 of 56

Organza is gorgeous too, on a cake table, or lace or organza over a fabric, since it is sheer, the other fabric will show through. There are many fabrics that go well, like moire, satin, curtain material, brocades, damasks, almost anything.
Yes it is the bride's decision, so sometimes you are stuck with a table decoration and set-up that doesn't really do the cake justice. I too, prefer to do my own, but then, it is the bride's decision.
Haha, I absolutely hate when they sprinkle that foil confetti stuff or use balloons or anything like that, or worse yet, a plastic tablecloth. Or use that curled ribbon, that is another pet peeve. Haha, but you know, we all have different tastes and sometimes you just have to grin and bear it!
Hugs Squirrelly

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 56

I've done a few weddings and the bride has always done her own table.
Now, this has not always done justice to my cakes...but I'm not much of an artist so I didn't mind all that much! icon_wink.gif

My only regrets are that I usually don't get to see the finished table becuase I set up and leave, and they decorate it later. I hate setting up a wedding cake with people watching me! icon_redface.gif

ntertayneme Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 56

I carry a bolt of white tulle with me when I go to deliver wedding cakes .. on the cakes where the bride wants me to decorate the table, I ask her to provide the table cover she wants on her table, then I go from there .. I'll use fresh flowers (if being used on her cake) along with tulle, some leather leaf fern and baby's breathe around the base of the cake, add the wine glass, the champagne bucket and if she has a flower arrrangement or any other stuff she wants on the table, I'll place all that up for her .. it really is all up to the bride .. most of the cakes I've done, the bride wanted to do her own table.. I've have a few that wanted me to do the table .. either way works w/me .. but if I provide the tulle/flowers, etc., I charge extra icon_smile.gif

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 56

I used our bouquets as decorations on my cake table, the colors are already there, a nice piece of material and some glitter and your done.

smoothc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:18am
post #13 of 56

I am a wedding coordinator and from my experience, the baker should never thumbsdown.gif decorate the cake table. If a cake table is decorated by the baker I am usually asked to remove the decorations because they normally don't match the colors, theme, both or they are just plain ugly. If I was delivering a cake to a wedding I would first ask the bride specifically who will decorate the cake table(s). The other most important thing is to make sure that all of the table linen is in place before you place the cake on the table.

ntertayneme Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:22am
post #14 of 56

Oh when I said I'd decorate the table, I meant arranging things the bride has provided smoothc.. I'd never assume what color a bride had nor would I just decorate a cake table not knowing what colors she was using and seeing those colors and also knowing her "theme" as you stated .. and believe me, I can and have decorated tables with the help of my sister who is a licensed florist and has done decorating many times before icon_smile.gif .. so some cake decoraters can and do decorate tables and do a really good job too ...

smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:45am
post #15 of 56

Oh my...I wasn't implying that you were not talented in eveything that you do. Just saying that I am a Certified Wedding Coordinator and in my many years of doing weddings, when the tables are decorated by the bakers it is not so attractive because decorating is not their "thing". Of course with or without the help of a Licensed Florist helping I am sure that the table was beautiful thumbs_up.gif. I know that some bakers can and will decorate tables and yes some of them do really good jobs.

ntertayneme Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:55am
post #16 of 56

Well, all I can say is you've stepped on my toes.. I've attached a pic of a table, I decorated ... please note the background items used which I rented for the bride .. all items where "coordinated" with the bride ... so just because we come here as cake decorators and we're not wedding coordinators, does not mean we cannot decorate a table... I'm not easily offended, but I have been now lol
LL

smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:05am
post #17 of 56

I think that you table looks nice. Didn't mean to step on your toes. Maybe I put my foot in my mouth tapedshut.gif or maybe you took it and ran with it icon_confused.gif . Which ever the case may be. Like I stated before I wasn't implying that you or you sister didn't have an eye for beauty thumbs_up.gif .

ntertayneme Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:12am
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothc

I am a wedding coordinator and from my experience, the baker should never thumbsdown.gif decorate the cake table. If a cake table is decorated by the baker I am usually asked to remove the decorations because they normally don't match the colors, theme, both or they are just plain ugly. If I was delivering a cake to a wedding I would first ask the bride specifically who will decorate the cake table(s). The other most important thing is to make sure that all of the table linen is in place before you place the cake on the table.

You said it!! Not me .. lol... stick a fork in me cause I'm done with this one lol

smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:20am
post #19 of 56

consider youself stuck lol

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:26am
post #20 of 56

I'm curious smoothc...do you decorate cakes for the public or are you just a wedding coordinator?

smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:32am
post #21 of 56

I do cakes and florals for the public as well.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:38am
post #22 of 56

ntertayneme grat job on that cake. I love it. LOL in the future wear steel toed boots LOL

Princess

ntertayneme Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:40am
post #23 of 56

lol.. thanks Cake_Princess .. I'll have to remember to do that icon_biggrin.gif

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 4:43am
post #24 of 56

Wow, so you are a licensed cake decorator/baker, a licensed florist and a wedding coordinator, I imagine you stay very busy. I do think though, that although you are obviously very talented, that your comment that bakers shouldn't do the tables decorations is a bit unfair. There may be a few who don't do the absolute best job in table scapes but in my findings, when bride chooses someone to do her wedding cake, she generally chooses that person on their talent to do beautiful work.....as you know, making a wedding cake involves a great deal of talent and creativity and to suggest that most bakers don't have the qualifications to decorate the table when the baker obvoisuly already should know the color scheme and theme since they are doing the cake, is a bit unfair.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 5:10am
post #25 of 56

man ...don't you hate it when some people come here and think they're better then others.

AShiana

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 5:31am
post #26 of 56
Quote:

I am a wedding coordinator and from my experience, the baker should never thumbsdown.gif decorate the cake table. If a cake table is decorated by the baker I am usually asked to remove the decorations because they normally don't match the colors, theme, both or they are just plain ugly.

Ouch. I'm sure you aren't meaning this to sound a snotty as it does.

Quote:

The other most important thing is to make sure that all of the table linen is in place before you place the cake on the table.

Is it your experience that many cake decorators (the art is primarily in the decorating, not so much the baking, you may wish to note) just drop their cakes on naked tables and leave them to be handled by the staff at the reception?

I personally don't know a single cake decorator who would do that.

BigEasyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigEasyCakes Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 7:41am
post #27 of 56

SmoothC may be a newbie, but her comments are as offensive as her photos. You opened your mouth.........now swallow!! thumbsdown.gif

smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 11:42am
post #28 of 56

Didn't mean to offend anyone, and never think that I am better than anyone. Just speaking based on MY experiences.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 11:56am
post #29 of 56

at the bakery i work at... the "bakers" do not deliver the wedding cakes.... the DECORATOR does... if im good enough to decorate a cake, arrange flowers on a cake.. and im not a "liscensed" florist then gosh darnit im good enough to decorate a table! icon_biggrin.gif... however when i do cakes at the bakery and deliver them.. we do not decorate the table.. im not gettin paid for that... cakes i do on my own i do decorate the table simply... and NOONE has ever removed any of my added decorations.... and being a liscensed anything doesnt mean anything... iv seen many wedding where the flowers are from "liscensed" florist and are hideous!... ok theres my 2 cents worth icon_smile.gif

smoothc Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 12:10pm
post #30 of 56

Magentaa23 you are right! You don't have to be a licensed anything to be able to decorate. I have seen works that I thought I couldn't hold a candle to, and these were works by people that were not licensed. I never take down decorations unless asked to. The last wedding the cake decorator decorated the table and then the cake. Well the colors of the wedding were soft pink and hot pink and the cake table was decorated in silver and purple. I was asked to remove the decorations because they were not the wedding colors. Just saying if you are going to decorate the cake table(s) be prepared.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%