Do You Go By Wilton Or Earlene's Serving Size?

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 8 Jul 2005 , 8:25pm by diane

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 16

Just wondering what the majority of you use? If cut properly the wilton sizes are accurate. I just don't want anyone to feel cheated. Does anyone know what commercial bakers use? I'd like to use the industry standard... if there is one.

15 replies
Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 16

I use Earlenes. icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 16

...I use Earlenes also, just seem more realistic!

BigEasyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigEasyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 16

Where can we find Earlene's serving guide?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 16
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 16

Heehee, I use Squirrelly's, which is bigger than the aboves, haha! Seriously though, both are pretty standard. I just always worry about there being enough so I go bigger.
Hugs Squirrelly

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 2:45am
post #7 of 16

So far earlene's has it! Are there any wilton users out there? What size are the squirrelly cake servings??? icon_lol.gif

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:20am
post #8 of 16

i use wilton i didnt even know there was another one icon_redface.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:48am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

So far earlene's has it! Are there any wilton users out there? What size are the squirrelly cake servings??? icon_lol.gif

Heehee, about twice as large as the biggest size you will find in any charts, haha!
Seriously though, I tend to estimate according to how many cake mixes or recipes are in a cake. For a standard cake mix or recipe that makes about 4-5 cups batter, I estimate I get 12 servings. So an 11x15 inch one full layer cake, is 24 servings. If I double the cake and make this two full layers, it is 48 servings. I don't consider a torted and filled cake that was originally only one layer, to make any difference, it still serves 24 in my books. So a 10 inch round, 2 layer cake with each layer being 2 inches deep, would serve 20-30 folks.
Interesting, more folks do seem to be going with Earlene's estimates when figuring out how much cake is required. But I am finding, that most people price as per the Wilton estimates. Confusing? Ok say Earlene says a cake will serve 40 and Wilton says 60. Well folks will make the cake sizes Earlene estimates but charge for the 60 servings when they do a cost per serving calculation. So if they charge $3. a serving, they will cost out at $180 instead of $120. So in effect they are charging according to the Wilton estimates.
I find there is a tendency to serve larger portions these days. However I also find that bakeries tend to go more by the Wilton sized portions and estimates.
Haha, I like my cake as you can see!
Hugs Squirrelly

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 7:01am
post #10 of 16

Hmmm. I didnt realized Earlene's would be different. My aunt has always printed off wiltons serving chart for her wedding cakes... the ONE cake I did for a huge party I also gave a copy of the chart when the cake was picked up.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 16

For a very informal wedding or for large parties, I too print out a cake cutting chart. I think this makes it a bit easier for some folks.
I often print out the ingredients used too, just in case there are folks with allergies.
Hugs Squirrelly

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 16

Mine are bigger too... For Earlene's, is that 1" x 1", 1" x 2" slices?

I go by the old Wilton counting chart...

For example:

8 inch - 12 servings
10 inch - 24 servings
12 inch - 30 servings

I even measured the pans, and divided by slices of 2" x 1" and that's a nice size cake. I cut my cakes the way they cut them, 2 inches in and 1 inch wide.... If people want them bigger I say that 2" x 2" will get them bigger but less cake...

CORRECTION: My sizes are 2" x 2"... For all my cakes..

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 16

She is using the 2" by 1" size. I gather she found that Wilton's estimates were not accurate.
Interestingly, she recommends cutting the cake while intact, not separately the layers. Now this is what she is talking about when cutting the cake in front of the guests. I must admit this surprises me because I have never seen this recommended anywhere.
Perhaps the standard varies from place to place. While I can see it would be easier when you have a group of people watching, it still surprises me.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Interestingly, she recommends cutting the cake while intact, not separately the layers. Now this is what she is talking about when cutting the cake in front of the guests.

Mmm, what does she do if the cake is too high? icon_eek.gif If you want to cut a cake like while still assembled, it would start from top to bottom, so not to stressed the tiers below. Give the one to the bride, then start cutting your way down...

But still, I prefer, taking tiers apart, to the kitchen, and back to the guests...

I saw a TV show where they talk about Disney wedding, and they took the cake to the back, peeled the fondant off, and serve the guests the slice with the thin buttercream layer under the fondant.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 16

That is why I was so surprised, I have never seen a professional cut a cake while it was assembled. I agree it puts stress on the cakes below and extra pressure on the icing of the cake below too. I wouldn't even do it with a cake that had double separator plates in between because of the pressure.
Hugs Squirrelly

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 8:25pm
post #16 of 16

i try to take a variety of others and compare each one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%