How Do You Bake In A Can??

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 3:41am by JGal

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 9

Is there a special technique for it? how do you take the cake out once it's baked?

8 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 9

I've never made a cake in a can - but my Mom used to always make pumpkin bread in a can. Just made sure to grease and flour the can REALLY good. It should fall out, after you let it cool for about 10 min. just like any cake pan. If not, just cut the bottom off the can with hand held can opener and give a gentle push.

Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 9

Make sure you grease and flour the can well, especially the bottom. Since the cake pulls away from the sides of the can, it should be rather easy to remove. When you fill the can, fill it approx. 2/3 full.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 9

They put a plastic coating on the inside of all food cans now, you can't see it - but it IS there and it IS toxic. To get rid of this you must burn it off with flames, an oven won't get it all off. You need to stick your cans on an open fire - you'll see the stuff peeling off the insides in a fairy short time. If you don't do this the stuff will leach into your cakes and it is nasty toxic stuff. One way to avoid this problem is to cook in cans that are meant for cooking in - for example you can buy sponge puddings in cans that you're meant to cook in the can.

danette62602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danette62602 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 9

Are there any cans you can use. I had planned on using this method for an upcoming Thomas the Tank engine cake??????

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 9
shawnster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnster Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

Instead of baking in a can why don't you use a biscuit cutter or a round ateco cutter to cut circles of cake out of a sheet pan than dowel them?

Or you can buy 2" flan or cheesecake rings tape them together to make a tower and bake that way if you want the investment.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 9

when I bake in cans (especially since most cans have little ridges in the sides of them) I spray them and line them with parchment paper....jsut to be on the safe side to avoid sticking! I never knew about the plastic on the inside of the cans.....wonder if the parchment protects from this??

JGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGal Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 9

KHalstead, are you still part of Cake Central? I just joined. I give out The Good Person tract as often as I can. I like how you referred others to it online. I failed it, but there's Good News at the end for those who do not pass! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%