Several Royal Icing Questions

Decorating By AnjaV Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm by springlakecake

AnjaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnjaV Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I had my 1st Royal Icing experience this weekend and it has left me with several questions...

1. According to the instructions I saw online I needed a "stiff RI", I got it made and put it in a piping bag and it was so stiff I couldn't squeeze it out of the bag...I had to take it alllllll back out of the bag and put it back in a bowl and add some more water and re-mix it... (Then of course after putting it back in the bag, it wasn't stiff enough..)
How do you know when its the right consistancy, is this something Im going to just figure out over time?? Or is there a way you guys test it to see if it will squeeze out of the bag or not with out wasting a bag??)

2. Can I make Royal Icing in advance and how do I store it? (Fridge, out of the fridge but in a airtight container??)
How long will it keep??

3. My runny RI actually worked out for the "tropical" looking flowers I was going for.. I did them in Lilly Nails on Friday. I've left them out on my counters for 2 days and I went to start peeling the foil out from under them, thinking they were set, and they weren't.. The top flower part was hard as rock, but inside the foil was still mushy..
How long should I let these set? Will the inside ever actually set up?? Or do you just peel the foil off and shape the back as smoothly as possible and let them set that way??

4. I read somewhere that RI flowers will last for a long time, how long of a time will they keep?? A week, 2, a month???

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Angie

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Angie -

The 'perfect' consistency of royal icing is something you learn with experience, I believe. Ideally, you should be weighing your powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water to acheive precise measurements, but humidity plays a factor in how royal icing behaves as well.

You can make royal icing in advance and store it at room temperature, but properly protecting it from air is crucial. I place Saran Wrap directly on the surface of the icing, followed by a tight layer of Saran Wrap on top of the bowl, and then I place the lid on the bowl. When royal icing sits awhile, it develops a spongy texture. Just give it a good firm stir with your spatula to restore the smooth consistency.

Flowers piped in foil do take longer to dry. Others recommend things like putting them in a warm over, food dehydrator, or poking holes in the bottom of the foil, but I have found that just giving them 4 days' dry time is the easiest. icon_smile.gif

As long as your RI flowers are protected from humidity and ants, they'll keep for years. I just threw some out that were 10 years old. LOL I found them when we moved.

Good luck!
Sherri

AnjaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnjaV Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for the info!! icon_biggrin.gif

I figured the consistancy was just something I would have to learn over time..

THANK YOU!!! icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 4

Yes it does take a little practice...especially since it is so subjective. For me making stiff consistency is very easy. If you have a kitchen aid put in the smallest amount of water the recipe calls for (the wilton recipe is 5 T I think.) While the mixer is running I just add a little tiny bit at a time until the icing starts to stick to the sides of the bowl. You will see what I mean when you do it. Initially when it is too thick it will be like a ball of dough and all crumbly. So again just add a little at a time until it becomes more like a paste.

To make the other consistencies, it really doesnt take much more water, so be very careful.

I can usually get away with storing it for a couple of weeks at room temp in an airtight container. Decorations already made though will last for a very very very long time (as long as they dont fade or get dusty!)

Lily nail flowers do take a very long time to dry. I would give them perhaps 4 days or so. Other flowers like roses and stuff are pretty sturdy after less than a day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%