Please Help With Sheet Cake!

Decorating By GingerCakes Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm by LittleLinda

GingerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GingerCakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 19

I am new at this and I am wondering how you more seasoned cake bakers make a sheet cake. I have a 1/2 sheet cake pan and I was thinking that I would just bake two of them and put them together? Or does a whole sheet cake pan fit in a regular oven? I have one coming up in 2 weeks and I could use any advice I could get about this. Thank you so very much!

18 replies
Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 19

I bake two (2) 12 x 18 pans and 'glue' them together with buttercream - side by side - so that I have 24 x 18 cake when finished.

Sometimes if the serving table is going to be small - I will stack the cakes and just let them cut very small pieces.

Good luck.

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 19

I usually put two together, but I only have a 1/2 sheet pan. I am not sure if one will fit or not.

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 19

OOPS...I double posted. icon_redface.gif

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 19

i also make two 12x18 and put them together a full sheet pan does not fit in my oven. but make sure you glue them together really well so it don't split.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 19

From what I have read, I am almost positive a full sheet pan won't fit into the average home oven. On website had a disclaimer stating this because of returns for pans being too big.

I for one, can't imagine flipping a full sheet cake out of the pan. My 12 x 16 is plenty big enough for me. I don't like feeling like it all could come crumbling down. Cake can be a very fragile thing.

If you "bind" two smaller cakes together, I read on this forum where someone cut away the outside "crust" that they were going to butt up to one another.

darkchocolate

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 19

I put two 12x18s together and I don't glue them either. I just butt them up to each other and get a bit more generous with the frosting over the seam. I freeze one of them while the second one is baking. Put the frozen cake on the board second. That way you can shift it a little because it's stiffer.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #8 of 19

I bake four half-sheet cakes, then trim the crust from one of the long edges of each cake. Push them up against each other, cut edges together, fill, then do the same with the top pair of cakes. After the cake is filled, before icing, I trim away the crusts on the outside. (The kids love this part!)
Then I'll crumb coat, then ice and decorate.
I have full sheet pans that I use to put cakes on for transport, and they won't fit in any home oven that I've seen.
When assembling the cakes, turn them out onto a cake board, then slide them off the board onto the covered board or filling. Helps prevent cracking and breaking!
HTH

GingerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GingerCakes Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #9 of 19

Thank you so much for the help! I learned a few things from some of you! I will post a picture when I get it done!

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #10 of 19

hello everyone.thank u so much for asking that gingercakes! i was wondering myself actually,but everyones posts are really helpful.one quick question for frostin gal[srrry!],if i wanted to make half of a 9x13 cake vanilla n half chcolate,how would u suggest i do that?

FrostinGal Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:11am
post #11 of 19

This is how I have done it: Fold a piece of parchment paper several thicknesses, or use a piece of cardboard wrapped in plastic wrap the width of the pan. Have someone hold it, or temporarily tape it into place while you put batter in each side of the pan. Once the batters are in the pan, remove the cardboard. Bake as usual.

dreamyprin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamyprin Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:23am
post #12 of 19

Am I correct in this? Someone told me that when baking from any pan 10" and above you need a heating element in the batter? I have a 10" round and just wanted to make sure? Thanks for answering a newbie questions! icon_confused.gif

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:37am
post #13 of 19

Ive never used a heating core and never had a cake sink in the middle either...Instead of baking at 325 though, I bump the temperature up closer to 350 for larger pans

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 19

I always thought 11 x 15 was a 1/2 sheet and 12 x 18 was a 3/4 sheet, so I always use 2 11 x 15 to make a full sheet. I also bake a 325 for larger cakes. for a heating core, you can use a flower nail.

dreamyprin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamyprin Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am doing my first tiered cake today and I am a little nervous...but it is a excited feeling! A carosusel separator kit is what i'm using. good or AAAUGH !!!, i'll post a pic and get some feedback.....

Thanks!

LittleLinda Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

I always thought 11 x 15 was a 1/2 sheet and 12 x 18 was a 3/4 sheet, so I always use 2 11 x 15 to make a full sheet. I also bake a 325 for larger cakes. for a heating core, you can use a flower nail.

It probably doesn't make a difference what you call the sizes as long as your customer knows how many servings they are getting; but I think most people call a 12x18 and half sheet.

FrostinGal Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

Full sheet is 18x26, half is 13x18 and quarter is 9x13.
Full sheet feeds 80, half = 40 and quarter = 20. At least those are the numbers I use. Never had any problem with it, yet. Then again, I haven't come across any Jethro's. icon_biggrin.gif

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #18 of 19

Half sheet, 1/4 sheet, full sheet! It is all so confusing. I thought that a 12 x 18 was a full sheet! Oh boy..!! I have yet to bake a full sheet ! So if when I bake one and make it two layers i will have to bake up 4 - 12 x18 cakes!! WOW .. that cake is going to be very heavy! Will it need extra support on the bottom???
(sorry about all the newbie questions)

LittleLinda Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #19 of 19

iramirez94, 4 12x18s will be very heavy. When I make two 12x18s put together, I can carry it; but not for long. it's very big and awkward. If you are layering that size, it will require two people, and yes you should have a pretty strong support. It's also difficult to find a box that size. I had to make one. I got a box from a furniture store and cut it to fit my cake board. I have it covered in shelf liner and I ALWAYS ask for the box and the cake board back!

Here's a picture I took once of an 11x15, 12x18 and two 12x18s all next to each other for a visual look at the differences.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%