Nalis Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:07am
post #1 of

Hi! I just registered on this website and I hope someone out there can help me. I've been wanting to try a pillow cake, but the cake recipe I have is too soft to hold the shape. Does anyone have a recipe that is firm enough (but still moist) to use on a cake that will be sculpted? I don't want to sacrifice taste for looks. Thanks!

25 replies
Cassie1686 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:31am
post #2 of

I have heard this one is real good, but haven't personally tried it. The name says it all though.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

lserafin Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:59pm
post #3 of

I was wondering the same question. Have you tried it yet? If so, how did it turn out? DO you think I could do the same for chocolate cake?

briannastreats Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:10pm
post #4 of

I have used this recipe for a wedding cake, and it was delicious!! You won't be dissapointed..

Good luck with your pillow cake! Make sure to post a picture when you're done!

Kayakado Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:11pm
post #5 of

I found mixing a BC pound cake mix with a regular mix to be dense enough or just using all BC pound cake makes a very dense cake for 3-D

tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:12pm
post #6 of

The durable recipe works....trust me on this.....if you can't trust me, then trust my gallery. icon_wink.gif

Otherwise any pound, fruit, or spice cake works fine.
HTH

tiptop57 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:13pm
post #7 of

Deleted - double post. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

weirkd Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm
post #8 of

I add a box of pudding mix to my DH mix and its usally firm enough to sculpt. If you want to make a cake from scratch I usually use a pound cake recipe and tweek it for whatever flavor I need. Pound cake is usually moist and its firm.

Nalis Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #9 of

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can't wait to try the durable cake recipe this weekend. Hopefully it will look good enough so I can post a picture of it. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again!

spongemomsweatpants Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:45pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

The durable recipe works great. Otherwise any pound, fruit, or spice cake works fine....trust me on this.....if you can't trust me, then trust my gallery. icon_wink.gif

HTH

can't argue with that, your gallery is awesome!

monkeydust Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:14pm

THANKS I NEEDED THIS!

anniebuster Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm

hi, just wondering if this durable cake recipe needs to be tweaked at all for high altitude. i live in the denver area at about 5200 feet and want to make sure this recipe will hold up as well here as elsewhere

tiptop57 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm

Oh yes welcome aboard Nalis & Anniebuster!
Here is an acronym list to help you out on the threads.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

(And thanks spongemomsweatpants for your lovely compliment! icon_redface.gif When I first started making cakes and I had questions on the threads I didn't always know which answer would be best, so I started counting on their gallery's to take my cue.)

Nalis Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 2:47am

We just had a piece of my beautiful (if I must say so myself) and delicious (first ever) pillow cake. The durable cake recipe was easy to carve and tasted great! I will definately be using this recipe again! I will post a picture as soon as I can find the cable for my digital camera. icon_redface.gif LOL Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. Thanks Tiptop57 for the acronym list. It answered some of my questions from reading some other postings. Thanks again everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm

Can I use chocolate cake mix for this recipe? Any other modifications needed to make a good chocolate cake for carving?

Nalis Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:39am

I finally downloaded the picture of my first pillow cake.
LL

alanahodgson Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:51pm

it turned out great!

MCook Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm

I,too, would like to know if this works with all DH mixes or just the white & yellow. What about chocolate or Red Velvet??

TIA

MCook Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm

OH, Shame on me icon_redface.gif ---Nalis, your pillow cake is awesome!
Sorry for posting my question before commenting on your beautiful cake.

tiptop57 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm

It turned out beautiful, you should be proud.....what recipe did you end up using?

2sdae Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:17pm

I have used this recipe to make several cakes and it seems to work well with any flavor mix.

Jennycakes8317 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm

Your cake is awesome!! great job. I will be sculpting my first cake next week and I will be using the durable cakes recipe also. Again awesome Job.
Jennifer

Nalis Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm

I used the durable cake recipe. It's great! I highly recommend it! My next mission is to try it with a chocolate cake mix.

Nalis Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm

icon_redface.gif Shame on me!....I forgot to say thanks for all your kind comments. It means so much coming from such a talented bunch of decorators. Thanks! icon_lol.gif

cakeatty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:00am

Dumb question on this but does the durable cake recipe here work on topsy turvey cakes using the bkeith tutorial? I did a topsy this last weekend using just a regular DH mix and it fell completely apart at 2 AM (10 hours before it was due). I have another one in a month or so and need to make sure. Thanks ya'll!

Nalis Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 11:09pm

cakeatty sorry to hear about your cake disaster. I haven't seen the bkeith tutorial but from my experience it's a pretty sturdy cake and should hold up well in a topsy turvy design. Good luck and be sure to post a picture of your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%