White Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By AmyMiller Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm by HBKitmitto

AmyMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyMiller Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 8

I'm planning a large Halloween/Surprise Birthday party for my husband and I have a great idea for his cake, but I've never used ganache before so I am not sure if my idea will work out. I want to use white chocolate ganache colored red to look like blood dripping down each tier of the cake.

Has anyone ever used white chocolate ganache and if so have you colored it before? Also, if anyone has a good recipe for white chocolate ganache or any other ideas for something else that would have the same "dripping blood" effect I would be open to trying them.

Any hints or tricks for using it and for coloring it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also thinking about making a fake knife to stab into the top layer of the cake. Does anyone have any suggestions for what material (gum paste, fondant, marzipan etc.) might hold up best?

Thanks!!
Amy

7 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 8

I would color the cream before adding it to the chocolate when making the ganache. I'm sure it will look great. Here is an example that might be similar to what you are envisioning.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=78165

For the knife I would definately say gumpaste would hold up the best. Pastillage is even dryer but its very brittle and I find it breaks easily. Maybe I just roll it too thin. Good luck! Post pictures when you're done!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:41am
post #3 of 8

Hi and Welcome, Amy. icon_smile.gif

Here's a comprehensive thread on ganache:
(Overview, master recipe, white chocolate, how to glaze and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334973-.html

HTH

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 7:06am
post #4 of 8

I've made white chocolate ganache, and colored it. I added the color after the ganache was made. I didn't use the normal gel you would for icing, but used the coloring specifically for chocolate.

I have heard, however, powdered food coloring is even better because it gives a deeper darker color (like you would need for blood). I've never used it, so I don't know if it's ideal for chocolate or not, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere it is, since it isn't a liquid it doesn't cause the chocolate to seize.

This is the recipe I used...

6 oz. Heavy cream
3 Tbs. light corn syrup
12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
½ tsp vanilla extract

Heat heavy cream and corn syrup over medium high heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir in chocolate. Stir until melted. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.

Let cool.

I used the exact same recipe for white chocolate ganache (which I had colored mauve). I put it in the cake I made for my bridesmaids, at my shower, and they loved it.

Hope this helps,

Holly

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:16am
post #5 of 8

Be careful substituting white choc for dark in ganache, you need to add much less cream to get the same consistency--though, sounds like you want it runny. I agree with using oil based or pwdr color. pastillage would be my vote for a knife. The whole cake sounds perfectly ghastly!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:20am
post #6 of 8

Right, sorry Leta, I forgot to put that. Thank you! The sad thing is I was thinking about it while I was typing, but it just slipped right on out of my mind and never made it down to my fingers.. hehe

I think you have to double the amount of white chocolate (if I recall correctly), if you want a normal consistancy ganache, but since she's wanting it runny, I think I'd leave it like that, let it cool completely, then pour it over.

You might want to experiment a few times, until you get the consistancy/color you want.

AmyMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyMiller Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all of the great ideas! It will probably be a little while before I get to try any of them out, but as soon as I do I will let you all know how it turns out.

HBKitmitto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBKitmitto Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 8

Why not just use the red colored chocolate disks like Merkens or wilton even so you don't have to go through the trouble of coloring it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%