Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix/ Mocha

Baking By dolphindreamers Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 12:46am by RaquelB

dolphindreamers Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 11

I have to doctor up a duncan hines chocolate cake mix so that it has a mocha flavor. I figured I would replace the water with coffee. But how strong would you make it? Have any of you done this before?

10 replies
kiki36 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 11

what size of cake are you making depends on the amount to use.

dolphindreamers Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 11

I'm making a two layer 12" round. It's the middle of a stacked wedding cake. Would you think using regular coffee would be enough? Or would you make it extra strong?

kiki36 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 11

regular is find instant.

i found this for you:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2392-chocolate-mocha-cake.html

I hope this help

snowshoe1 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 11

If you are using the cake mix extender recipe here on CC for box mixes, I have used coffee flavored yogurt (instead of the sour cream) and it had a nice mocha flavor.

darkchocolate Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 11

In my personal experience, when I mixed instant coffee (only for baking) with a small amount of diluted hot water the taste was more intense then when I just sprinkled the instant coffee in my dry ingredients. I think diluting it in hot water brings out the coffee taste. For my personal taste, I like diluting the coffee.

darkchocolate

dolphindreamers Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for your responses!!! I will see what I can come up with and post what I did incase someone else needs the same info.

dolphindreamers Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 11

Ok, found out that no matter how strong I make the coffee, you can't taste it after it's baked! (at least in the chocolate cake mix)I even went over board and nearly used a cup of instant coffee granuals in one mix. Still didn't taste coffee! At that point it started to bake up weird. So, I put 5 Tbs. of instant coffee in a yellow cake mix and it was perfect! All of this experimenting sure does make a house smell good! The coffee flavor comes through well with the yellow and I'm sure the white would do well too. I always liked the yellow for bigger layers. Seems to be moister than the white.

DianeLM Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 11

A lot of bakers substitute brewed coffee for water in their chocolate cakes because it really brings out the chocolate flavor without adding coffee flavor - as you now know! I substitute 1/4 to 1/3 of the liquid with dissolved instant espresso or Kahlua. Yummy!

CakesByLJ Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindreamers

I have to doctor up a duncan hines chocolate cake mix so that it has a mocha flavor. I figured I would replace the water with coffee. But how strong would you make it? Have any of you done this before?

This is a favorite cake of mine.. use DH Swiss chocolate cake mix and add a box of chocolate instant pudding (4-serving size), 2 Tbls powdered instant coffee (my preference is tasters choice, hazelnut; roll the granuales till powder, then measure), 4 eggs, 1 1/3 cups water, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Mix on medium for 2 mins and bake at 325°. For filling, I also use a chocolate buttercream with more of the same powder (1 Tbls.) to really give it flavor. This will definately wake you up... yum yum...

RaquelB Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 12:46am
post #11 of 11

Your cake recipe looks amazing! I'm wanting to try it out this weekend with a hazelnut buttercream. How long should it be baked for at 325? And do you think it will be strong enough to support fondant? 

Thanks in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%