Put Me Out Of My Misery...

Decorating By Melvira Updated 30 Sep 2006 , 2:26am by Melvira

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:38am
post #1 of 33

I insanely agreed to do a cake that is slowly killing me. It sounds innocent enough... just a sheet cake. And she wants it to look like a folded red flannel shirt. I have gone through testing about 6 methods of how to make it look like that... disaster after disaster. I made MMF with red coloring in it, it looked great until I tasted a bit. A half batch of MMF in the garbage because it tasted like mouse fanny. ( icon_confused.gif Um, don't ask... icon_confused.gif) Then I tried some buttercream options, they didn't look so good. Then I tried MMF airbrushed red, we're onto something here... then I was going to do the black pattern with a food writer... I hate Mr. Wilton. This is the worst invention known to man. Finally... I sat and hand painted with a teeny paintbrush and liquored up gel color. icon_mad.gif I only got the collar and pocket done tonight as the cake is due Saturday and I want them to set up a little(at least the collar) but it's too soon to do the whole cake. (That's what tomorrow is for) I am crying inside thinking about how long this is going to take. icon_cry.gif But, with any luck it will look good! icon_biggrin.gif But I won't be getting paid NEAR what it's worth! icon_cry.gif But it will be consumed in a large setting with tons of potential clients! icon_biggrin.gif Mood swings? Why no... I've never had those. icon_lol.gif Well, anyway, here's a preview of the collar and pocket trying to dry... is this even worth my time or does it look awful? I can't tell anymore.
LL

32 replies
joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:42am
post #2 of 33

Holy moly!! Looks great but you have a busy day tomorrow!

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:45am
post #3 of 33

OMG !!! I'm with joanmary, what you have done so far looks absolutely fantastic. I would never guess that is not edible. It looks so real !!!

Good luck with the rest of it !!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:45am
post #4 of 33

Mel,
Girl you got some serious flannel happenin there! It looks AWESOME!! Keep your chin up, you'll get it done, and you will get great exposure! We'll all drink a margarita for ya!! Or you wanna beer???

Great job!!

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:46am
post #5 of 33

Looks incredible! You're really talented. Hang in there, we all have off days. I'm trying to make tiaras right now and after the 4th layer of Royal they just look like blobs of icing... I'm sure it will be beautiful and very much appreciated. Good luck tomorrow.

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:47am
post #6 of 33

that looks awesome!! wish i could turn out something like that!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:48am
post #7 of 33

Looks fantastic so far! Do you have the equipment to do edible images? That's another option. I never realized the potential of edible images until someone here at CC posted this link!
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68099

-Rezzy

kaste28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaste28 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:48am
post #8 of 33

Holy cow, Melvira! It looks real!

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:50am
post #9 of 33

I love you guys man!!

Yes, I do have an edible print set up, that was one of the options I considered, but it was not feasible as I couldn't find a straight bit of the pattern to use. I searched the web, but NOT!! The only thing in this pattern that I could find was already made into a shirt and I couldn't pull out a sample of the pattern from it. UGH!!

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:53am
post #10 of 33

I looked at the picture first and then read the post. The entire time that I was reading the post, I was trying to figure out what you were doing with the flannel shirt? Geez, does it ever look real!! Awesome job!!

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:54am
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charb31

We'll all drink a margarita for ya!! Or you wanna beer???

Great job!!

*Chanting* 'Rita 'Rita 'Rita...

Actually, while mixing a little rum into the gel color, I truly considered just swigging it right out of the bottle. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:56am
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurina

I looked at the picture first and then read the post. The entire time that I was reading the post, I was trying to figure out what you were doing with the flannel shirt? Geez, does it ever look real!! Awesome job!!

Ok, that made me laugh out loud! Bless your heart!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:57am
post #13 of 33

What you have done so far is amazing!! It's just unbelievable. I can't wait to see the finished product. Great work!!!!!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:10am
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

...I have gone through testing about 6 methods of how to make it look like that... disaster after disaster. I made MMF with red coloring in it, it looked great until I tasted a bit. A half batch of MMF in the garbage because it tasted like mouse fanny. ( icon_confused.gif Um, don't ask... icon_confused.gif)...

...icon_biggrin.gif Mood swings? Why no... I've never had those. icon_lol.gif...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OMG that's funny! Had to read this one to DH! Direct quote: "Don't ask? Well, I hope not, I don't wanna know how she knows about mouse fanny!"

I was in tears after that... icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif !

Seriously though, what you've got so far looks great. It's definitely worth the trouble and will make a great picture for your portfolio! icon_wink.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:17am
post #15 of 33

Looks fantastic! Cannot wait to see the finished product.

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:22am
post #16 of 33

Oh My it looks marvelous! I wish I could do something like that.
Good Luck!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #17 of 33

PHENOMENAL!!!

You have the makings of one fine flannel shirt there! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the photo of the finished cake.

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:43am
post #18 of 33
Quote:

I love you guys man!!

Yes, I do have an edible print set up, that was one of the options I considered, but it was not feasible as I couldn't find a straight bit of the pattern to use. I searched the web, but NOT!! The only thing in this pattern that I could find was already made into a shirt and I couldn't pull out a sample of the pattern from it. UGH!!

Well how about going to "paint" on your computer and creating your pattern there and then replicate it? I had to do that to make the invitations and cd label (favors) for my daughter's bday party.

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:19am
post #19 of 33

That's incredible!!!! Will be watching to see how it all turns out.... great job thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 12:58pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecakes

Well how about going to "paint" on your computer and creating your pattern there and then replicate it? I had to do that to make the invitations and cd label (favors) for my daughter's bday party.

Wouldn't you know I'd think of that WHILE WRITING that post last night! DUH??? That was a real head slapper. It probably would have been easier, but at least this way I can try that, and if it works I can laugh at what a sucker I was for hand drawing this one! icon_lol.gif Today is the day, but I am going to spend a little time with baby before I start... then daddy will take over while I bake. (His day off, thank GOODNESS!!)

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:05pm
post #21 of 33

That's AWESOME!!!!! Your doing an outstanding job!!!!!!

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:15pm
post #22 of 33

Looks like your are going to be real busy, but how realistic does that flannel look?!!

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 33

can't wait to see the finished product!

Happy friday y'all!

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:17pm
post #24 of 33

WOW, that's so realistic!!! icon_surprised.gif

Great job!!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:19pm
post #25 of 33

Unbelievable!!! That is absolutely gorgeous.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:54pm
post #26 of 33

WOW icon_eek.gif ! How cool- it looks so real! I hope you're charging enough to cover the time you've spent on this AMAZING cake- Hope the image thing works for you!

Amber

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:22pm
post #27 of 33

It looks amazing - truly. I will be a ton of work, but well worth the effort I am sure - especially with potiential clients there. You should treat yourself to a manicure when you are done. (That hand massage would feel great!) Can't wait to see the finished cake! Enjoy the weekend - you deserve it!

chaniliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaniliz Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:23pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:

I love you guys man!!

OMG you are incredible. You can possibly go to your closes Staple, bring the shirt and color copy. Then use it as a pattern for youe edible image. I already use some frabric but for my scrapbook. Hope it helps

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:39pm
post #29 of 33

WOW! icon_eek.gif That's incredible!!!!!!

Melvira Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:41pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaniliz

OMG you are incredible. You can possibly go to your closes Staple, bring the shirt and color copy. Then use it as a pattern for youe edible image. I already use some frabric but for my scrapbook. Hope it helps

Unfortunately I don't even have a shirt to do that with! icon_cry.gif I am totally doing this off the cuff (no pun intended!) just from memory of what I have seen them look like. That's where I like to let the creativity take over! Thanks everyone for the amazing support. I will not be getting paid 1/10th of what this cake is worth, but as I am seeing it come together, I don't care all of a sudden. I am seeing this as bragging rights if it turns out well, and therefore I don't mind making a minimal amount on it. And hopefully people will be impressed and order more (but easier) stuff! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%