Delonghi Vs. Viking Mixers

Decorating By gateaux_beau Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm by Swede-cakes

gateaux_beau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux_beau Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 28

Any preferences out there. The DeLonghi is amazing looking and is about $100 less than the Viking, but the Viking has that super slow setting to prevent sugar from flying into the air. Anyone use a DeLonghi, can it go as slow as the Viking? Please don't tell me how great the Kitchen Aid is, I already know the old one's made by Hobart were great, but the one's made by their new manufacturer aren't so resilient.

27 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 28

I have only heard good things about Vikings but I used a Delonghi and it seemed to be a little more heavy duty, for commercial use...not sure of your needs! Guess that doesn't help too much!

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:43am
post #3 of 28

I am going to bump this thread because i would love to know the difference too!

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:47am
post #4 of 28

I don't know anything about the Viking but I love my DeLonghi. Of course, it is the only stand mixer I have ever had so have nothing to compare to. I bought this because of the size and it seemed a lot stronger - but mostly because I was lusting after its sleek style. Good luck.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:48am
post #5 of 28

I'd love to know more about them, too.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:53am
post #6 of 28

I have the 7 1/2 quart Viking 1000 watts. It is a machine and then some. It holds a lot of batter or icing and hardly exerts itself because it is so powerful. Can't go wrong with it.

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:01am
post #7 of 28

I'd get a DeLonghi ... just because I think they are so neat looking. lol

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:05am
post #8 of 28

I have the 7qt DeLonghi - love it - HUGE bowl, but still broke it because I did not take out my MMF soon enough, after several batches the metal piece that holds the attachments in sheered off. Covered under the warranty tho. My own fault, it's poweful, but I should not have ridden it so hard. icon_sad.gif

Would love to know if anyone makes MMF in a Viking from start to finish?

CakemanOH Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:09am
post #9 of 28

Yes... I make MMF with the dough hook from beginning to end...I then grease my hands and pull it out.

SweetResults Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #10 of 28

Maybe it's because I did not always use the dough hook? It just didn't seem to be getting everything.

I am waaaaay to impatient!

joanmary Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:23am
post #11 of 28

OMG, SweetResults - that is really distressing - I really thought my DeL was indestructible. Where did you have to send it for repair?

SweetResults Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:25am
post #12 of 28

I had to drive to another town about 40 min away, so not too bad. I had to go about an hour to get my 20 yr old KA repaired!

I have to resign myself to buying fondant now thumbsdown.gif Too afraid to try again.

CakemanOH Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:26am
post #13 of 28

Use your dough hook always..... I add the melted marshmallows with my flavoring, Tylose and Glycerol and then dump in the PS slowly until I get what I want. The dough hook always grabs everything for me.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 28

I have the 7 quart Kenwood which is now DeLonghi and I love this mixer. It has twice the power of a KitchenAid and yet is lighter in weight if you have to lift and move it. It has the same planetary action as the KitchenAid too. I got mine on closeout sale at Williams Sonoma for $245.00.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 28

I LOVE my DeLonghi. No comparison to my mom's KA-KA does the job, but my DeLonghi is so much more user friendly and powerful. I've never used a Viking, so I can't comment on that.

Julie icon_smile.gif

joanmary Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #16 of 28

Wow, ShirleyW, what a great deal.

pumpkin823 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkin823 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 2:04pm
post #17 of 28

I have the Viking 7 1/2 quart bowel with a 1000 watts. I love it! I can make 18 cups or more of buttercream icing at one time with no problem. The power is awesome and with all the ingredients the bowel does not even look full. When I would make a double batch of icing, my Kitchen Aid would sound like the motor was struggling. I use my Kitchen Aid for making smaller batches of icing and when I am mix no more than two boxes of cake mix.

I would do a search on yahoo or google for pricing, because I was able to get a brand new Viking for $474.00 (?) or less, which included free shipping.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 28

I sound like a broken record, but the Electrolux Assistent/Magic Mill DLX2000 is REALLY good and is what breadmakers prefer because it has a hearty motor. LOVE it.

Melissa

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #19 of 28

I know this thread is about 2 years old, but I came across a Viking 7 qt today, and came home to do a search for a thread such as this one.

It's a kitchen store in our local mall. They have the grey Viking 7 qt w/ the 1000 watt motor for $525 but are offering an in-store instant rebate of $75. So is this a good deal for $450?

I have a KA5 but am looking for bigger. Any thoughts on the Viking at this price? Tia!

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #20 of 28

I feel your pain. I researched mixers for almost a year before I decided which one to buy icon_smile.gif

I have heard that the Viking mixer is very noisy and doesn't mix the bottom of the mixer well. However I never tried it.

But, I did by the Delonghi 7 qt and am so thrilled. It is light, mixes like a dream, easy to use and a pleasure to have around. Infinitely better than the KA. Sorry to be so blasphemous.

Enjoy and I hope you have an easy time making your decision.

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #21 of 28

Bought my first Kenwood in 1992. Love It! Two years ago the the knob broke down but we ordered a new one from England. They sent it fast and DH fixed it.
A few years ago I bought a DeLonghi. Wonderful!
Both of them never get a rest. I'm always making bread, pizza dough cookies and cakes.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

I know this thread is about 2 years old, but I came across a Viking 7 qt today, and came home to do a search for a thread such as this one.

It's a kitchen store in our local mall. They have the grey Viking 7 qt w/ the 1000 watt motor for $525 but are offering an in-store instant rebate of $75. So is this a good deal for $450?

I have a KA5 but am looking for bigger. Any thoughts on the Viking at this price? Tia!

My Viking will do anything from egg whites to bread dough. My bread recipe using 3.5 #s of B flour.

As far as not reaching the bottom of the bowl. The attachments aren't adjusted right that's all.

Mike

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:27pm
post #23 of 28

Does anyone have the new Cuisinart mixer? It looks similar to the Viking and Delonghi and I've been trying to compare the 3.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #24 of 28

I have the kenwood too and LOVE it...still going strong after 5-6 years. I got the 6 qt 1200 watt one and have never had any problems with powericon_smile.gif

Wow, Shirley you really got a good deal on yours!!! I think I paid around $400 for mine...

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #25 of 28

Anyone have any opinions on a Waring mixer? It is VERY similar in style and specs as the Viking and is close in price. I was told by a restaurant supply shop that the Waring is considered more commercial grade than the Viking, but I'm not sure about that. I've tried to find some reviews on either one, but they are few and far between! Can anyone break the tie for me!?
Lori

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #26 of 28

I have a Waring blender and it is not that great. I don't know if the mixer would be any better.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:22pm
post #27 of 28

Anyone else had any experience with Waring (or Viking?). I've had a KA for 3 years (6qt Pro) and after it being replaced 6 times, they are buying it back, so I have to decide what to get! I'm really dissapointed in it, but their customer service was great!
Lori

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm
post #28 of 28

Well, now that yesterday's cakes are done, I can turn back to this decision about a mixer. I have a KA5 (not pro) and one batch of my BC slows the motor down once the sugar starts mixing in. I have to turn it onto med speed just to keep the paddle going. I def. need more power!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I just went on Epinions.com and interestingly enough, the comments on both the Viking 1000 watt and the Delonghi are mixed. Several great reviews, but then there are more than just one or two bad reviews.

Many of the bad reviews were regarding a cheap plastic part from inside the planetary action thingy that breaks easily and that it's veeeeeery difficult to get ahold of a new part from Great Britain. (This was the Delonghi, I think)

I think I'm going back to the kitchen store today, and kindly request that she take the Viking floor model over to the counter and plug it in for me. I wanna hear the rev of the engine! (just joking)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%