Death By Chocolate!

Baking By Joy2501 Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 12:12am by southaustingirl

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 19

My Husbands birthday is coming up and he LOVES Death by Chocolate ice cream. Is there a recipe out there for a Death by Chocolate cake?

18 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 19

Yes I have seen it. So here is a 'BUMP" for others to see and help.

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 19
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 19

I use thie website to try out new recipes. I look for the ones with the highest ratings or you can be daring and try out something that sounds delicious. I hope you find something you like.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=Death%20by%20Chocolate

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 19

Where I used to work a lady would bring in what she called "death by chocolate". It was more like a trifle. It was layered with chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, crushed chocolate cookies,chocolate sauce, and chocolate whipped cream. It was FABULOUS for a chocoholic! thumbs_up.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 19

There used to be a show on TV called Death by Chocolate........I cannot remember the name of the guy but it was a great show!! He had brown hair and a mustache. Anyone know who I am talking about?

Is his show still on the air?

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 19

I found this one:

http://www.apricot.com/Food/DeathByChocolate.html

i usually do an all chocolate cake. Chocolate cake box mix w/pudding, chocolate mousse filling (hershey's recipe), i cover it with chocolate BC and then pour ganache over it. Just thinking of it makes me want one. yum. I have no idea what death by chocolate ice cream is, i would love to know!!

oh, oh i found another link to a cake recipe:
http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/deathby.htm

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 19

I'm not exactly sure whats in the ice cream - I don't like chocolate ice cream so I have never tasted it. I think it is chocolate ice cream with bits if chocolate cookies covered in chocolate and chocolate chips in it. We get it at our local Kroger. We buy the store brand, but I think you can get other brands.

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 19

check out my pirouette cake in my photos - the description describes what it is -- it is a chocolate lovers freak out!

Lisanne

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 19

Southaustingirl.. I think the person you might be referring to is Marcel Desauliniers. He has a recipe for what may be the most definitive "Death By Chocolate" cake there ever was! I have his book titiled icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif Death By Chocolate. I am not sure if I can post that recipe here? It is quite lengthy as the cake has about 4 or 5 components, but it is really chocolate chocolate chocolate!!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

Southaustingirl.. I think the person you might be referring to is Marcel Desauliniers. He has a recipe for what may be the most definitive "Death By Chocolate" cake there ever was! I have his book titiled icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif Death By Chocolate. I am not sure if I can post that recipe here? It is quite lengthy as the cake has about 4 or 5 components, but it is really chocolate chocolate chocolate!!

I have this same book but have never tried anything from it. Have you? They all look sooooo good. I am going to try the ganache recipe on a cake soon.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 19

I have 4 of his books icon_surprised.gif Do you think I am a chocoholic? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif I have tried a few of the recipes and all I can say is YUM! I like that he uses ingredients that can be found in almost any grocery store too!

sprgirl1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprgirl1978 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 19

I have his cookbook too. I can say from personal experience that the brownie recipe is to die for!! They look cake-y, but melt in your mouth. Yum!!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:29am
post #14 of 19

I have a really great recipe for Death by chocolate. I have made it a bunch of times and always got rave reviews:

Ingredients:
1 package of devils food cake mix
1 1/2 Cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 Cup salad oil
1/2 cup water.

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Pour into greased and floured baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees until done (base the time on the size pan you use and check with a toothpick)

It is really good and is almost too much chocolate with this recipe my Mom always used for chocolate icing on her cakes:

Brown Beauty Icing:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups sifted confectioners sugar
1/4 Cup Shortening
1/4 Cup of milk
3 Squares (3 oz. total) unsweetened chocolate- melted
1 tsp of vanilla
1 whole egg

Blend Sugar, shortening, milk, chocolate and vanilla in mixng bowl
Add the egg and beat with mixer until frosting is smooth
Place bowl in ice water bath and stir until frosting is thick enough to spread
If frosting becomes too thick, dip bowl in hot water for a few seconds and stir to desiered consistencey

Makes frosting for 2- 8 or 9" layers or 9x13" cake.

I did one of these for my mother in law for her birthday (she is a chocoholic) and she loved it. I have a picture of it in my photos. You could smell the chocolate from it from several feet away. It was very rich and is one of my favorite cakes.

Hope this helps!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 19

Bump!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 19

I just made a cake this week for a coworker who is a chocoholic, and I must say, it was delicious, but so rich you could only eat a small piece (and a cold glass of milk or hot cup of coffee is a definite requirement!!!). I thought I got the recipe from CC, but I can't find it now to link to it, so here's the recipe that I've got saved on my computer. Oh, and it was so easy to make, too!

Chocolate Ganache Cake
Makes one 8-inch cake
This foolproof recipe comes from Devon Fredericks and Susan Costner, who wrote the first Loaves and Fishes Cookbook in 1978. You can make this fabulous cake up to a week in advance. Wrap it tightly with plastic and refrigerate. Glaze it the day you serve it. We've made this cake into everything from bite-sized cupcakes to wedding cakes for 600 people.
1/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 extra large eggs at room temperature
1 16-ounce can Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
For the ganache
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
Candied violets or edible gold leaf, for decoration (optional)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat, or the cake will be tough.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don't overbake! Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly ove the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides. You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze. Decorate with candied violets, if desired, or gently crumble the gold leaf and place it on the centre of the cake. Do not refrigerate.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:20pm
post #17 of 19

potatocakes that recipe sounds awsome. no levening agents in it? i noticed none and am wondering if thats right. also, it only makes one layer?

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 19

Yes, there are no leavening agents. I used an 8x3 pan, and it was about 2 inches thick. I had planned on making 2 layers, filling and frosting with chocolate buttercream, then pouring the ganache on top, but after sampling a small 6 inch that I also made with the leftover batter (for my DH and kids), I realized it's so moist, dense, rich and chocolatey, there's no way you'd want sweet buttercream with it, too. I don't know that it would hold up to even fill and layer it without breaking apart. It's definitely made to just be one layer and topped with the ganache! I highly recommend it! icon_smile.gif

I forgot to mention that for the ganache, I didn't use the coffee granules that it calls for. The person I made the cake for doesn't like coffee flavors, and I also was afraid it would make the ganache gritty.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:12am
post #19 of 19

Marcel Desauliniers...yep, that's the one I was thinking about. I really liked his show!! I'll have to get his books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%